• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

my host screwed up and lost all data

my host accidently deleted all of the catalog(not db) and had no site. i had a backup in bits and pieces and have it running with missing images and some bugs. hate it..

now i m looking for a solution to backup the db. is there any way i can have a computer at my own house that backs up the data autometically every day or when it sees a change done in server. it will be done via mapping the ftp account...

ny thouhts

my host accidently deleted all of the catalog(not db) and had no site. i had a backup in bits and pieces and have it running with missing images and some bugs. hate it..

now i m looking for a solution to backup the db. is there any way i can have a computer at my own house that backs up the data autometically every day or when it sees a change done in server. it will be done via mapping the ftp account...

ny thouhts

I would switch hosts first, then wonder about any future strategy.

Treasurer MFC

You could use a chron job to backup to database I believe. Then if you have a program with can go out and get the data via ftp every day after the job has ran you could in theory back up automatically.

I just export the database once a week or so, or whenever I add products just incase the server does die I will have a minimal amount of work to redo.

Kenneth S

--------------

Customer "Are you a real programmer?"

Me "No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night"

All you need is an FTP client - download all the files under public_html from your host to a local directory on your hard drive.

If you are concerned about your hard drive crashing - backup to CD as well.

Any host worth using will make daily backups of sites and databases anyway - I suggest you do as boxtel suggested - look for another host.

even tho i do online backups to another system, weekly i still backup all my servers to my local drives, then back that up to tape. i do that with a scheduled job on an xp box, ftp everything down on a friday nite, the tape backup runs on saturday nite .. .

one thing to remember, even tho hosts may backup the files, and database, ultimately it falls down to you backing up your own data.

Don't most hosts have backups? Usually atleast daily? Mine does one every so many hours so if there is ever a problem you just tell them when it was and they go back to the backup that was closest.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

no, not all hosts do. some do a complete server backup, which means if you restore one, you restore all the sites, which is a major hassle.

others do a once daily, some weekly and others monthly.

if you get a dedicated server, then you also pay for a backup if you want one, both a live and to tape, adding another 25 or so per month to the total.

check the contributions for OSC_System_Backup, if you do a database backup before running the system backup it will give you a complete copy of everything and then you can also copy it to your PC for safe keeping.

Installed Contributions: CCGV, Close Popup, Dynamic Meta Tags, Easy Populate, Froogle Data Feeder, Google Position, Infobox Header Entire Row, Live Support for OSC, PayPal Seal with CC images, Report_m Sales, Shop by Price Revised, SQL Updater, Who's Online Enhancement, Footer, GNA EP Assistant and still going.

ny thouhts

Whether rightly of wrongly I use frontpage.

Initially I expand ed Osc in to a frontpage (FP) subweb and then used FP publish feature to upload site. I always publish the full site back to local whenever I make a change. DB is a regular backup from within Osc both to host and local. Host also does daily backups.

Backup is a thorny issue and if you value your data a lot you can never have a satisfactory process in place.

Good host www.aussiehosts.com

Australian company, servers in Australia and US

good luck

Geoff

Geoff

Telegraph Point 2441

Australia

no, not all hosts do.  some do a complete server backup, which means if you restore one, you restore all the sites, which is a major hassle.

others do a once daily, some weekly and others monthly.

if you get a dedicated server, then you also pay for a backup if you want one, both a live and to tape, adding another 25 or so per month to the total.

Dang, I am glad my host backsup regularly. lol I have had to rely on them more than once.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

If you rely on your host to do the backup, then you also have to *wait* for them to do the restore, even if you just need to restore one file.

I run a couple of cron-launched scripts to back up everything and FTP a copy to my home PC:

1) back up database every 12 hours

2) back up images every 2 weeks

3) back up non-image and non-backup files every (and manually back up any files needed for code changes, contribution installs, etc)

I used to back up all the files at once, but then got too many images and so the backups took too long (and were too big!).

The script is also configurable for how many backups I want to leave on the server when I FTP today's backups off to my PC. I can't take credit for the script, it's cobbled together from a couple of different scripts I found in different places. I know I posted it here once upon a time . . .

The only way you can really trust that you have a backup is if you do it yourself.

-jared

Archived