• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Questions about OS Commerce

JTrabbold

I have a few questions about OS Commerce before I download and start transferring and modifying.

1. How compatible is OSCommerce with PHP 5.0.3?

2. How does OSCommerce handle credit card transactions? I do not need to authorize through a third party, however, I do not want the entire credit card to be stored in the database as that is a security risk.

3. Is OS Commerce easily modified? I need to modify several templates and queries for my purpose.

Thanks!

I have a few questions about OS Commerce before I download and start transferring and modifying.

1. How compatible is OSCommerce with PHP 5.0.3?

2. How does OSCommerce handle credit card transactions? I do not need to authorize through a third party, however, I do not want the entire credit card to be stored in the database as that is a security risk.

3. Is OS Commerce easily modified? I need to modify several templates and queries for my purpose.

Thanks!

1. I believe osC doesn't love php5. At least not yet. A quick search on the forum will confirm that.

2. CC's are stored in the db. There are a few contribs to mask them once you're done processing though.

3. Yes, with a caveat. You can do just about whatever you'd like depending on your skill level. For quick and easy templating with 2.2 look into Simple Template System or Basic Template system and see if they meet your needs.

Iggy

Everything's funny but nothing's a joke...

I can change back to PHP 4.1.9 (I think is the most recent) if necessary.

Any way to change the CC's so that they aren't stored in the DB? Boss probably wouldn't like that.

I'm pretty good with PHP and MySQL once I know where things are located, it's just when there are five or six different files I have to look through and they are all done with cryptic-named functions that I have problems. :)

Jenn,

I think PHP is at 4.3.11. There's some security fix in 4.3.11 so go with that one.

osCommerce can store 8 of the CC digits in the database and e-mail the other 8 digits and expir date to you. While the e-mail isn't encrypted (by default), it separates the data. A hacker would have to crack the database AND sniff the e-mail packets to get it all.

I doubt it was the bashing that caused the edit. Discussion of other carts are just not allowed at all.

ed

Ah, perhaps I'm thinking of the PHPmyadmin version. Either way, I'll probably download and install OSCommerce, and just see how it goes before doing the switch completely. Thanks. :)

That's what we are doing now with the Credit card numbers, which is convenient.

Archived