• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

"Stealing" articles out of another clients' cart

roseoliveira1

Just now I stumbled over a problem which occurs when selling products which cannot be replaced continuously. This refers to all kind of products which at some time might be out of stock:

Imagine you have only one item left of product A (as I sell original pieces of art, this is ALWAYS the case for my store). A customer puts this product into his shopping cart but then logs off, thinking that as long as the product is in the cart, it will be reserved for him.

Then, another customer logs in and purchases product A.

If our original customer returns to the store, he will go to his shopping cart and see product A there, with the notice that the product is out of stock.

Now, of course we could tell a customer that putting a product into the shopping cart will not imply that the product is reserved until the next session. But I assume (I couldn't test it, as I have only one computer) that the product can also be "stolen" from the customers shopping cart while he is still logged in: Costomer 1 puts product A into his cart and then goes back to the catalog to look at other products; in the meanwhile customer 2 buys product A; and when customer 1 then wants to purchase the product he put into his cart, it is not there anymore.

Is my assumption correct? has anybody tested it? if I am correct, is there any solution to this problem?

Regards,

Rose

I don't have a solution for you. However, I have a different point of view.

Let say that you resolved the "problem" and no one is able to "steal" articles in another person's cart. Window shoppers would essentially kill your sales. (I assume that most people are honest but you may also have a malicious competitor. )

Consider this scenario:

I'll browse to your site and add some/many/all of your one-of-a-kind articles to my cart. I have no intention of buying since I am browsing or "window shopping".

Guess what... no sales for you since there all stuck in my cart until my session expires.

My answer is leave it alone and properly disclose the fact to your potential customers. One logical place for the disclosure is in shopping_cart.php. Perhaps the sense of urgency may actually increase sales.

Just my 2 cents,

Robert

I don't have a solution for you. However, I have a different point of view.

Let say that you resolved the "problem" and no one is able to "steal" articles in another person's cart.  Window shoppers would essentially kill your sales.  (I assume that most people are honest but you may also have a malicious competitor. )

Consider this scenario:

I'll browse to your site and add some/many/all of your one-of-a-kind articles to my cart. I have no intention of buying since I am browsing or "window shopping".

Guess what... no sales for you since there all stuck in my cart until my session expires.

My answer is leave it alone and properly disclose the fact to your potential customers.  One logical place for the disclosure is in shopping_cart.php.  Perhaps the sense of urgency may actually increase sales.

Just my 2 cents,

Robert

Robert, thanks for posting your thoughts. I hadn't seen the situation from that point of view. but would it be possible to "reserve" a product a client puts in his cart for, say, one hour? But I assume that would problably be quite a bit of coding, wouldn't it?

Rose

After a few days of thinking of possible solutions, I can't think of the best way to do this.

Perhaps there is someone willing to provide the solution for you, but I'm out of ideas.

Robert

Archived