• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Configuration Problems

Hello,

I hope that someone here can help me out. I am completely dumbfounded!

I have set up an osCommerce store for a client. We have all of his products loaded, everything is ready to go.

All I have left to do is change the osCommerce logo to his logo, edit the index page to reflect his info and I think I will be done (for now anyway).

The problem is that I have tried several times to change the logo and to edit the index text to no avail.

I am following the directions precisely. I am pretty competent with editing php files... and with following step-by-step instructions. I have done it over and over again, and I can't figure out why it is not working.

For the logo:

I saved my logo in the catalog/images folder

I edited the header.php file to reflect my image's name and the alt text.

I uploaded the header.php file to the catalog/includes folder

It is still showing the osCommerce logo.

I even tried saving my logo with the osCommerce name... essentially replacing the osCommerce logo. Still not working.

I have tried it in both Firefox and IE, just in case it was a browser thing.

I know it is late and it is probably just one silly little thing that I am missing... but I am banging my head against the wall here. I just can't see what I am doing wrong.

For the index text:

I deleted all of the text and replaced it with my own. I would like to have an image and a small "Welcome to our store" type text and that is it...

I uploaded the revised index file and nothing changed (I swear someone is playing a cruel joke on me!).

I then decided to go into the admin panel to try to change it. It kept giving me an error that it could not write to the file. I changed the files attributes one by one until it was 777, but still couldn't write to the file.

Could someone please tell me what I am missing? Honestly, I am so tired of this guy's store and I so want to be finished... whoever helps me finish this up will be my hero for life!

Thanks in advance,

Heather

I am not sure why the changes are not working, but don't use the file manager to edit pages, there are known bugs with it. That is probably why you got the error messages.

How are you editing the pages and uploading them?

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Use a plain text editor like Notepad (not Word or Wordpad), or better yet a plain text editor like Text Pad or Crimson Editor. Other people have reported problems trying to use Dreamweaver with osCommerce. You definitely should not use the FTP Client that ships with Dreamweaver, it's no good.

Try FTP'ing your files, and if they still don't change then try using the chmod command via FTP to change permissions. Locate File, right click, select Operations --> FTP Commands - CHMOD (Unix). chmod only works with Unix/Linux type operating systems, and does not work with Windows servers.

Vger

If you've changed the image but with the same name and it stil aint workin then have you considdered that the pages you're getting are cached ones from before? This prob comes up all the time. Either empty your cache or hold down the CTRL button when clicking refresh.

I note that you're a compent php thingy so sorry if this is insulting your intellegance (forgive the spelling) but thats what it sounds like and it stil caches me out from time to time!

B

If you've changed the image but with the same name and it stil aint workin then have you considdered that the pages you're getting are cached ones from before? This prob comes up all the time. Either empty your cache or hold down the CTRL button when clicking refresh.

I note that you're a compent php thingy so sorry if this is insulting your intellegance (forgive the spelling) but thats what it sounds like and it stil caches me out from time to time!

B

Thanks for the idea. Believe me, I am willing to try everything!

I did try this (didn't know the trick about holding down the CTRL button - thanks!) and it is still not working.

Tonight, I got the original header.php file from the original download and edited it in notepad to change the image name and uploaded it. Still not working (even after forcing a refresh).

I have no earthly idea why it is not working... I feel like such an idiot!

Any help is most appreciated!

if your using a localhost testing server to work on the files with DW, its saving the changed files to your localhost instead of the webserver

I am still not sure why your files are not changing but I can tell you that it more than likely has nothing to do with Dreamweaver. I only use dreamweaver to work on websites and it has never caused any problems for me. Not that it couldn't for others, but it shouldn't.

I have come across the same sort of problem for a friend I am helping.

I can upload to his ftp space, files are overwritten... catalog side updates fine, admin won't change no matter what I do. I have downloaded the files to double check and they are the new files. Weird but atleast now you know you are not alone. =)

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Archived