• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can nit be more newby then this

freedom1029

Hello there,

I am a .Net programmer/MS SQL/IIS and have zero knowledge about php and My SQL. So I am wondering if I can install this locally on a pc to make it work and if it is possible what do I need to install on my machine and where can I get it?

Also if I want to host it somewhere what should I be looking for as hosting service?

Thanks for your help

the knowledge base lists all the prerequisites of what it is you need to do.

for hosting, ask the host for some people you can call to confirm.

you get what you pay for in a host, ie next to nothing price would coorelate to the type of service you get.

Ok thanks, so I guess that IIS do not serve PHP pages, is this corect? So I have to install a different web server like you said, easyphp or else and I probaly have to install MySql as well? Is their a vesion of MySql installable on pc?

What developement tool is usally used for coding and for database editing?

easyphp comes with apache, mysql, phpmyadmin and everything else you need to set up a "server" on a windows machine. You can't run it alone on IIS, as far as I know.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Freedom to be honest I am not sure. I don't know anything about IIS. May have to stop it to run the apache?

H2B2, welcome... has saved me a ton of time doing it this way. No more uploading, downloading to see changes or add ons. =)

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Hum I see, well guess that's right cause I am in the process of installing right now and I get the following message: "Apache cannot be runned: another Web server use the web port"

Anybody knows what to do here? There must be a way to switch from one web server to the other depending what you are testing I suppose.

Hum I see, well guess that's right cause I am in the process of installing right now and I get the following message: "Apache cannot be runned: another Web server use the web port"

Anybody knows what to do here?  There must be a way to switch from one web server to the other depending what you are testing I suppose.

Take a look at http://www.easyphp.org/faq.php3:

7 - Apache doesn't start and gives this error : [crit] (2)No such file or directory: make_sock: failed to get a socket for port 80 in log file.

A Web Server is already installed on the computer and Apache can't use the port 80 (port conflict). You need to check the use of ports with your network running software.

You might use the port 8080 instead. The value should be higher than 1024.

With IIS: In the Administration tools, click on "Internet services Manager", select "Web site as a default", then right-click on the Properties, here you can change the port.

With Apache: edit the configuration file, look for "Port" inside and set a new value. Restart if needed.

Please remember set the correct port when accessing from the browser. If port is set to 8080, you should enter:

http://127.0.0.1:8080/

You could also try the forum at easyphp.org

Hope this helps,

Al

Not sure what you mean about an interface tool... easyphp comes with phpmyadmin and i just use that to edit my database stuff

I use dreamweaver to edit all of my sites, osc or not and it has php codes and stuff, although I am sure there are a ton out there including free ones that may be better. Its not really great for more complex coding but it does the job for what I need.

Wendy James

Archived