• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Where do I change the default text?

stashandstuff

I'm in the process of adding items to my catalog. I have three categories and I'm calling each of them a 'store' even though they share a shopping cart. How can I change the default text from "Category" to "Store Name".

Also, if I have an empty subcategory, the default text comes up "Let's See What We Have Here". Cute, but I'd like to change it to something else. Can someone tell me where to find that text to change it?

You are probably missing a ': or something at the end of one of your lines. Double check your code.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

I replaced this line:

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Let's See What We Have Here');

with this:

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'More Products Available Soon');

And I get a parse error in line 13.

When the file is edited in VI, it works. The oscommerce editor appears to add a CTRL M at the end of each line (which doesn't appear in the editor - only in the file), and there are no line breaks when viewed in VI which may actually be part of the problem. I'm told by my tech guy that the software doesn't understand dos to unix conversion.

Line 13 is the html code for the display and runs in one continuous line that's way more than 255 characters. Although the file itself doesn't get truncated, I think in combination with the CTRL M changes that's where the problem lies. I'll still need to dig into this deeper, since basically I hate working in VI and would prefer using the built-in editor.

You are correct, the osCommerce File Editor is buggy. It will strip the backslash \ character from text files. (i.e. What\'s will become What's)

That will cause parse errors like you encountered.

Start with a fresh copy of index.php and edit on your PC. The CTRL M is not coming from the editor. You probably ftp'd the file to your server in binary mode. Try ftp'ing from your *nix client in ascii mode to remove the CTRL M.

If your on a PC just use a good editor (try the graphical version of VI - GVIM) or whatever. Then ftp the code to your website.

HTH

Tom

I had exactly the same prob five days ago....download PHP Director 2005 which is freeware....and your probs will be solved...

You probably ftp'd the file to your server in binary mode. Try ftp'ing from your *nix client in ascii mode to remove the CTRL M.

I'm kind of a low-tech person. I used the tools>>file manager in oscommerce. I selected the file, clicked on edit, made my changes and clicked on save. If there is an error, it's with oscommerce.

I know now to make my changes outside oscommerce.

carper, I'll look for that PHP download. Thanks.

Archived