• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Stuck at the first hurdle!

essexboy

Getting this when loading the ../catalog/install/

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/commerce/catalog/install on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.29 Server at cgi.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.com Port 80

I've changed all the relevant files to 777....what am i missing?

osCommerce does not normally have anything to do with the cgi-bin - only with certain hosts like PowWeb who run it through cgi (because they have a rubbish setup).

If you are hosted with PowWeb please note that (as far as I know) you can only install it in a folder called 'catalog' and only if you use their osCommerce install feature. You won't (to the best of my knowledge) be able to install it manually - at least not without placing the reference to the cgi-bin in the head section of every file in the root of osCommerce.

Vger

osCommerce does not normally have anything to do with the cgi-bin - only with certain hosts like PowWeb who run it through cgi (because they have a rubbish setup).

If you are hosted with PowWeb please note that (as far as I know) you can only install it in a folder called 'catalog' and only if you use their osCommerce install feature.  You won't (to the best of my knowledge) be able to install it manually - at least not without placing the reference to the cgi-bin in the head section of every file in the root of osCommerce.

Vger

I'm obviously being extremely stupid somewhere along the lines then!!!! Can someone just give me a quick run through of where to upload the files? Just in my normal ftp webspace?

First, make sure that the osCommerce files you have are the osCommerce MS2.2 zip file from www.oscommerce.com. Unzip on your own computer. If you want osCommerce to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog, then upload the 'catalog' folder and all of its sub-folders and files to the root of your website (via FTP). If you want it available at http://www.yourdomain.com then upload the CONTENTS of the 'catalog' folder but not the folder itself (again to the root of your website). After setting up a blank database, go to http://www.yourdomain.com/install or /catalog/install and begin the install procedure. You'll need your db_server address (usualy 'localhost' but not always), your mysql user name and password.

Vger

Ok, I now get just this....

Index of /catalog/install

Name Last modified Size Description

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parent Directory 25-Apr-2005 15:02 -

images/ 25-Apr-2005 15:01 -

includes/ 25-Apr-2005 15:01 -

index.php 25-Apr-2005 15:00 1k

install.php 25-Apr-2005 15:00 2k

oscommerce.sql 25-Apr-2005 15:00 176k

templates/ 25-Apr-2005 15:02 -

upgrade.php 25-Apr-2005 15:00 1k

Apache/1.3.31 Server at www.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.co.uk Port 80

just a list of the files and no install........

and if i enter www.myweb.com/catalog/install/index.php i just get the text of the php file......

Archived