• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Please Help catalog taking insane time to load

Please help... I've been reading all night trying to figure this out.

basically my site TLF Performance Parts is taking way to long to load each page.

I have 1686 (child-)categories and 547 products within those... is that why this is so slow??

I've been seeing all this talk about indexing the SQL...

I would really be greatful for any help offered here,

Thanks

Matt

Please help... I've been reading all night trying to figure this out.

basically my site TLF Performance Parts  is taking way to long to load each page.

I have 1686 (child-)categories and 547 products within those... is that why this is so slow??

I've been seeing all this talk about indexing the SQL...

I would really be greatful for any help offered here,

Thanks

Matt

Well its hard to say without more indeept info, but for a starter..

Turn of the category count and get a thumbnail contrib.

For more trick and tips about speed , read on here....

Well its hard to say without more indeept info, but for a starter..

Turn of the category count and get a thumbnail contrib.

For more trick and tips about speed , read on here....

Thank you, turning off the catagory count improved alot...

at the moment i've removed my images that would get thumb nailed... so i dont believe that will help the speed right now...

but times dropped from ~17 seconds to ~9 seconds after your suggestion

Did you add any contributions? Like scrolling sales (or any of the other scrolling info boxes) with images or dhtml cool menu?

I found both of those, added a ton of loading time to my site... expecially if there were a lot of sales cause it has to load all the images. I changed it to just text links for the scroller and that helped some and I totally removed the dhtml cool menu even though it looked very nice, it would take an extra 5-10 seconds to load in after the pages had loaded so no one could navigate quickly.

Also, did you use a program to compress image file sizes? Sometimes even a small compression can help in loading times.

Never mind, just looked at your site and I didn't see those things there. Going to leave my suggestions incase anyone else has loading times issues.

Ummm... Only other thing I can think of is to talk to your host. There is absolutely no reason for a blank "information" page to take 10-15 (20-30 when i tried going to a product page) seconds to load and that is on cable.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Try turning page caching on

admin->configuration->caching

Setup the cache folder and make sure its fully readable/writable (chmod 777) in your webspace. If you leave it blank, I believe it will default to your catalog folder or whatever your catalog folder is defined as.

This should help a bit more.

Tom

i would venture to say it is because of where you are hosted, on a shared server? the speed is unacceptable, (2.83 second load on a t1) however i would put more blame on your host and sql itself.

very easy prove by setting up a test site on another host . ..

Thanks for all the input...

I am on a shared host. that may have something to do with it.

I have already installed the chemo contribution, but it really makes little difference on speed. I believe this to be a SQL related issue. For a test, i removed the "by vehicle section" that contained ~492 products and ~2000 child categories, speed improved immediatly.

I have submitted this trouble ticked with the hosting site...

normally a hosting site would say "We dont offer support for 3rd party software" however, OScommerce is their included ecommerce solution so they cant give me that line. I will keep this thread up to date until my problems have been solved.

I have already installed the chemo contribution, but it really makes little difference on speed.  I believe this to be a SQL related issue.  For a test, i removed the "by vehicle section" that contained ~492 products and ~2000 child categories, speed improved immediatly. 

I have close to 3,000 child categories and 6,000+ prods in the same biz as you and dont have a problem. I would guess either a host problem or the code you wrote to perform the query is problematic....

Click on the following link to see speed report for your site.

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/service...ts.com/catalog/

It will tell you several places that you can start working on.

Personally, I would start by turning gzip on through the admin.

HTH,

Robert

GZIP helped quite a bit... keeping in mind that it is 11:00pm here. Times went from 11 seconds for the front catalog page to 5 seconds... from 13 seconds while accessing a product to 7 seconds... In responce to an earlier post, I plan to implant this site on my home setup (apache/MYSQL/PHP) to see how the speed improves.

Problem SOLVED

thanks to everyone with their suggestions... in the end the solution was a combination of things.

The one change that made all the difference, however was the removal of the DHTML JSCOOK menu. It is a nice looking menu, but it must have some trouble pulling all that data from the MySQL server. Removed that, and tried the stock menu (i had tried this once before) and this time... it worked.

I had also deleted all my products and imported them all from scratch using Easy Populate.

Matt

Archived