• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Revamped Store

bdneuman

I've done considerable updating to the online shop for my wife's jewelry sales. I'd love to get some feedback from the community that has been so helpful along the way!

Here is the link to my site: www.honeybeadjewelry.com

Along with my own edits, here are just some of the contrib's in place:

Separate Pricing per Customer 4.0

OSCMax (includes many contrib's)

Testimonials

Guestbook

Articles

RSS Newsfeed

Ultrapics

Ultimate SEO URL's

All Products Page

Thanks for looking!

Brian Neuman

Reasonable use of color for a change, although the background of your store could do with being a shade or two lighter - it's a little murky.

Why are you advertising competitors through google? If you wanted to do this, why not just use adwords and not bother with the site?

Whoever thought up the scrolling bestseller box needs someone to sit them down and explain what aesthetically pleasing means.

Suggest you change the name of your admin folder from admin and use .htaccess to password protect it.

Site seems a bit slow and unresponsive.

Nice site with plenty going on. Just a couple of things bother me:

Page width:  'Community' and 'Links' pages are too wide for your site.

Also there is no SSL.

On width, I struggled with and finally gave in to going with a "centered" shop, which really limits the width available. I turn off the right column entirely in the links and community pages in an effort to get around this restriction.

As for SSL, I haven't gotten a cert yet and since I only use Paypal for credit card payments, I though it may not be necessary...your thoughts?

Brian Neuman

Whoa - your home page is 41.2kb - far too much. Turn on Gzip compression in your Admin.

Okay, done. I turned on Gzip and added a little modification to gzip_compression.php from Chemo that I found in the forums. Also installed the gettaxrate mod - hope this helps. BTW, what is a good way to measure page load speeds?

Brian Neuman

I like the way your testimonials contrib is used- on the first page only, in the center section.

How did you do that? Would you share?

Sure! I just used the standard contrib and added an include for the customer_testimonials.php box in my default index.php. I use BTS, so the code goes in catalog/templates/your_template/content/index_default.tpl.php. On stock Osc, it would go in catalog/index.php below the part that says "} else { //default page". Either way, should look something like this:

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
 <tr>
           <td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>
           </tr>
 <tr>
           <td><?php include(DIR_WS_BOXES . FILENAME_CUSTOMER_TESTIMONIALS); ?></td>
           </tr>
 <tr>
           <td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>
           </tr>
           <tr>
           <td><?php include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_DEFAULT_SPECIALS); ?></td>
           </tr>

Then, I modified my catalog/includes/boxes/customer_tesimonials.php file to look like this:

<!-- customer testimonials //-->
<?php
 if ($random_testimonial = tep_random_select("select * FROM " . TABLE_CUSTOMER_TESTIMONIALS . " WHERE status = 1 ORDER BY rand() LIMIT 1")) {
?>
<?php
   $info_box_contents = array();
   $info_box_contents[] = array('align' => 'left',
                                'text'  => '<a class="headerNavigation" href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CUSTOMER_TESTIMONIALS) . '">' . BOX_HEADING_CUSTOMER_TESTIMONIALS . '</a>'
                               );
   new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents, false, false, tep_href_link(FILENAME_CUSTOMER_TESTIMONIALS, '', 'NONSSL'));

// Commented - use for side box
//    $testimonial = substr($random_testimonial['testimonials_html_text'], 0, 100);
// This is used for "Center Box"
   $testimonial = $random_testimonial['testimonials_html_text'];

$info_box_contents = array();
   $info_box_contents[] = array('align' => 'left',
                                'text'  => $testimonial . '<br><b>'.$random_testimonial['testimonials_name'].'</b><br><br><a href="' . FILENAME_CUSTOMER_TESTIMONIALS . '">Read more...</a>',
       'params' => 'class="main"'
                                );
   new contentBox($info_box_contents);
?>
<?php
 }
?>
<!-- customer testimonials_eof //-->

Basically, just remove the opening and closing <tr> and <td> tags and change the infoBox to contentBox...

Brian Neuman

*sigh* you're my hero, thank you!

By the way, the only feedback I can give you is aesthetic. I like the combination of teals and blues, and the white looks nice and crisp- and normally I don't like white!

I agree about the google ads- get rid of them, and feature your link exchange system instead. OR- pick an entirely different category of ads- something that your buyers might be interested in, I don't know if that's possible?

Likewise, check with paypal and see if they have a different banner, too- one that says "we gladly accept credit card payments through paypal" or something.

I would lose the right hand column entirely, get rid of the boxes there- People aren't going to pick out the bestseller, they want jewelry that no one else is wearing! If you get rid of google, you have room for the "our friends" box, and you could put your web hot in there AND the links page link...

Similarly, you might want to choose either the Xsell feature or the also-purchased feature...

there's my two cents, and thank you for that piece of code :)

psst... wanna buy a wand?

*sigh* you're my hero, thank you!

By the way, the only feedback I can give you is aesthetic. I like the combination of teals and blues, and the white looks nice and crisp- and normally I don't like white!

I agree about the google ads- get rid of them, and feature your link exchange system instead. OR- pick an entirely different category of ads- something that your buyers might be interested in, I don't know if that's possible?

Likewise, check with paypal and see if they have a different banner, too- one that says "we gladly accept credit card payments through paypal" or something.

I would lose the right hand column entirely, get rid of the boxes there- People aren't going to pick out the bestseller, they want jewelry that no one else is wearing! If you get rid of google, you have room for the "our friends" box, and you could put your web hot in there AND the links page link...

Similarly, you might want to choose either the Xsell feature or the also-purchased feature...

there's my two cents, and thank you for that piece of code :)

Thanks for the specific feedback! I've been debating about the Google ads, too. I get a few bucks a day out of them and maybe in the back of my mind I was hoping that it would get me some points with my Google rank (currently 3) :-"

I think I'll eliminate the Also Purchased mod and stick with the xsell - I read where the Also Purchased mod is the most query/server intesive mod out there, anyway. The reason I went with the scrolling best sellers was mainly to add a little dynamic content to the page, but other than that I agree with your take on customer behavior (mostly).

Thanks.

Brian Neuman

Archived