• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

anybody can enter & edit my admin

mosport

You need to password protect the admin directory by either creating an .htaccess file or through your webhosts control panel if they offer directory passwording

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Yes, I did this yesterday....Password Protect through your host....There is an option for this in CPANEL....

Additionally you will need to set the correct permissions on your configure.php files and make sure that if you renamed your admin directory in the step above you have the correct name set in the configure files

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

Wendy, could you help me out with the .htaccess file?  I have one in my admin folder from the installation, but I don't know what to do with it to password protect the folder.  Aargh!  Thanks so much!

Cindy

Well, I think I've answered my question after a lot of research. Go to www.locked-area.com and download DirectoryPass. It will create an .htpasswd and .htaccess file in the right folders on your site. The changes I had to make to the dirpass.cgi file were (was told to do this): after the #!/usr/bin/perl line add: print "Content-type: text/html\n\n"; Then, I changed the admin password in the file. I am sure I'll be able to get this to work. I just wanted to post this in case anyone else needed it.

Cindy

Yeah, well, I couldn't quite get it to work. I can create a password, but it never asks for it, so the admin panel is still accessible from any computer. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know! In the DirectoryPass admin panel, it does show me as a user, but it just doesn't seem interested in limiting access to me only!

Cindy

It sounds like your host provider may have the apache webserver configuration to NOT allow overrides like .htaccess files. Can you contact them and make sure you are "allowed" to override?

HTH

Tom

If he says yes, then can you post the .htaccess file?

Archived