• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Paypal payment with no order info

signs

I have had 3 sales in the last 2 days where the customers paid by paypal and I got no order email and there's no order info on the website. This has been happening sporadically since others have ordered using paypal and I get their info just fine.

I have figured out that it's the ones who don't have paypal accounts who's orders are getting lost. If I just disable the "account optional" feature at paypal in my settings, will this fix it?

I saw the thread about the Paypal IPN but it's way over my head to try and install...and otherwise the shop is working fine. I hate to mess something up trying to install a contrib when I am not sure how.

Just wondered if anyone else had the problem being specific to customers who elect not to have a Paypal account. This is what Paypal says about the auto-return feature and new users who don't have an account:

Note: If you have turned on Auto Return and have chosen to turn on PayPal Account Optional for new users, a new user will not be automatically directed back to your website, but will be given the option to return.

I spoke on the phone with a customer who was using paypal to pay and walked her through returning to my site. I found out that she was presented with a button that said "return to merchant's website" but when she clicked it, she went to the index page of the catalog -- not to the page that would have sent me the order info email. She said she opted NOT to have a paypal account.

Just wondering what kind of hassle it will seem to folks to be forced to have an account there? Any suggestions?

Have you set up automatic return on paypals site? If not you should. Will probably stop the problem of orders not showing up.

That happens when a customer does not return to your website after making their payment on paypals site.

also, you need to set the page for them to return to. I put http://mysite.com/checkout_success.php and havent had one problem since setting up both options.

the settings are in the merchant tools area.

Edited by wendyjames

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

That happens when a customer does not return to your website after making their payment on paypals site.

I did that, but if someone doesn't have a Paypal account, the auto return feature only takes them back to the index page of my site.

Thanks for the info, tho! :D I just turned off the "account optional" setting at Paypal. Most of my customers already have Paypal accounts and for those who don't want to have one they can opt to send check or money order. If that drives away business, then so be it. I already have a large repeat client base. That's easier than trying to figure out how to install the Paypal IPN contrib and risk messing up something.

Thanks,

Signs

I did that, but if someone doesn't have a Paypal account, the auto return feature only takes them back to the index page of my site.

Thanks for the info, tho!  :D  I just turned off the "account optional" setting at Paypal. Most of my customers already have Paypal accounts and for those who don't want to have one they can opt to send check or money order. If that drives away business, then so be it. I already have a large repeat client base. That's easier than trying to figure out how to install the Paypal IPN contrib and risk messing up something.

Thanks,

Signs

Signs,

Have a read though of the ipn install, you say it's complecated and I thought the same until I tried it and succeded, and now I have no problems from paypal what so ever. Just go though it step by step and ensure you tick of each task.

have a go it will solve your problems

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem so I followed wendy's instructions. Now paypal says "please use the following identiity token..." - What is this and what should I do with it. It looks like "7Fihc3Vz3SQjSCvH345456n68lnUpXrz_YK8xWi5LETPiIf84m2Ij9o6fXG3C"