• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Logging User activity

I AM ACTUALLY LOOKING FOR A GENERAL SOLUTION, NOT FOR OSC. I WANT TO TRACK USERS ACTIVITY BASED ON EACH PERSON. MAY BE ASK THEM TO LOGIN AND THEN HAVE THEM TAKE SOME STEPS ON THE WEBSITE. THEN WANT TO RECORD HOW MANY STEPS THEY TOOK TO DO EACH TASK.

MY GOAL IS TO COMPARE TWO WEBSITES. ONE TYPE OF USERS WILL SEE NEW SITE AND OTHER WILL SEE OLD. PERFORM SAME TASKS AND THEN I WANT TO TRACK HOW MANY CLCIKS IT TOOK EAHC PERSON.

I ALSO WANT TO HAVE THEM ENTER THEIR NAM EOR LOGIN OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT.

ANY LANGUAGE OR SOFTWARE SUGGESTION MAY HELP.

THANKS

NEED IT BY TONIGHT SO PROMPT HELP IS APPRECIATED.

You may want to look into Urchin. If you activate the UTM module you can achieve rather detailed tracking. You won't see user names or logins, but it will log click paths. My host provides it as part of their package, otherwise, it's not cheap.

If you require login just to browse on the site, I think you will see your traffic drop off immensely. Most web users enjoy their false sense of annonimity.

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Rule #2: Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

I AM ACTUALLY RUNNING A TEST FOR ONE WEEK FOR MY SCHOOL. STUDENTS WILL COME AND LOGIN, CHOOSE THE SITE GIVEN TO THEM AND THEN BROUSE IT BASED ON THE STEPS I TELL THEM FROM THE OUTER FRAME.

I WWANT TO SEE HOW MANY CLICKS THEY MADE TO ACHIEVE EACH GOAL.

Now it makes more sense.

Mibble's suggestion of the user tracking contribution will do the trick as long as you are using osc for the site. If you aren't using osc, maybe you can adapt its technique.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1055

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Rule #2: Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

Archived