• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Customer Checkout Question

ksaun

Hey All, :D

When a customer adds something to the cart then clicks Checkout, it requires them to the create an account or sign in. Which I believe is scaring them off.

I know about the PWA contrib, but I don't want to use it because it will make it more difficult for me to track my orders and customers. And I want to keep the features that the login provides for my customers, since they are likely to return for future purchases.

What I would like to do is to go directly to the "My Account Information".

This way the customer is adding all the info that they would expect to add to purchase items without having it appear that they have to become a member of the site to buy. This also gives the returning customers a place to sign in.

So how do I get rid of that "Welcome Please Sign In" page and have it go directly to the "My Account Information" page?

Also How do I change the Look and title of the "My Account Information" page? To something like "Personal Information" or something like that.

My Favorite Quote from a movie.

Question: How do you know women sooo well?

Answer: I think of a man, then take away reason and accountability.

Can't anyone tell me how to bypass the "Welcome Please Sign In" page and go directly to the "My Account Info" page?

:huh:

All I want to do is remove one of the steps in the checkout process that is not necessary.

Anybody? :blink:

Can't anyone tell me how to bypass the "Welcome Please Sign In" page and go directly to the "My Account Info" page?

:huh:

All I want to do is remove one of the steps in the checkout process that is not necessary.

Anybody? :blink:

so what do you expect to see on the my account info page if you have not signed in ?

Treasurer MFC

so what do you expect to see on the my account info page if you have not signed in ?

I got it! Here is what I did:

Open up checkout_payment.php and find:

// if the customer is not logged on, redirect them to the login page

if (!tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) {

$navigation->set_snapshot();

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGIN, '', 'SSL'));

}

Change it to:

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL'));

}

Then:

In checkout_shipping.php change:

To:

and if you want to get rid of the "Account Created Success" window that pops up after they create their account do this:

In create_account.php

Change

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT_SUCCESS, '', 'SSL'));

to

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL'));

this will remove the thank you message after account creation to speed up checkout. You no longer see create_account_success.php, it goes right to shipping.

With this process you have just removed 2 steps from the lengthy cart process, and removed the Dreaded "Become a Member" Page that scares of potential customers, and you still get them to sign in and get them to create the account.

Is this great or what? :thumbsup:

Take a look at my site and see what you think, but remember to use "TEST" as either your first or last name.

My Webpage

Good luck everyone and thanks to Nick and others posts that helped me find my way. B)

I got it! Here is what I did:

Open up checkout_payment.php and find:

}

Change it to:

}

Then:

In checkout_shipping.php change:

To:

and if you want to get rid of the "Account Created Success" window that pops up after they create their account do this:

In create_account.php

Change

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT_SUCCESS, '', 'SSL'));

to

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL'));

this will remove the thank you message after account creation to speed up checkout. You no longer see create_account_success.php, it goes right to shipping.

With this process you have just removed 2 steps from the lengthy cart process, and removed the Dreaded "Become a Member" Page that scares of potential customers, and you still get them to sign in and get them to create the account.

Is this great or what?  :thumbsup:

Take a look at my site and see what you think, but remember to use "TEST" as either your first or last name.

My Webpage

Good luck everyone and thanks to Nick and others posts that helped me find my way. B)

looks a lot better than the original but I still prefer PWA when clicking checkout as it gets rid of the password requirement

Treasurer MFC

looks a lot better than the original but I still prefer PWA when clicking checkout as it gets rid of the password requirement

When you use PWA though, don't you lose all the features creating a customer account provides? Like quick sign in, permanent cart, viewing previous orders, etc.?

Also with the use of PWA how do you keep track of your orders and find old orders if the customer has a problem and wants a refund or return. But doesn't include their order number in their email? :blink:

Some clients don't hang on to that kind of stuff. :blush:

At least that is my understanding of the PWA contrib, thats why I didn't use it :thumbsup:

When you use PWA though, don't you lose all the features creating a customer account provides? Like quick sign in, permanent cart, viewing previous orders, etc.?

Also with the use of PWA how do you keep track of your orders and find old orders if the customer has a problem and wants a refund or return. But doesn't include their order number in their email?  :blink:

Some clients don't hang on to that kind of stuff. :blush: 

At least that is my understanding of the PWA contrib, thats why I didn't use it  :thumbsup:

well, PWA does not retain the customer details but it does retain the order information. And there is the email address, name, addresses, phone number etc.

Treasurer MFC

I used ksauns idea and think it works well, atleast for me. People are really still signing up for an account even if they do not realise they are at the time

it seems to make it so much cleaner than having to go to the log in page where a customer would have to decide what to do may stop some people

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Thank you for coming up with this! When I ready WJ's original post, I thought, "Okay, brain, think" because I wanted to do something like this, too. This will be great!

I agree with the accounts -- I did PWA for a while, thinking it would be really great -- and realized we were missing a great opportunity to create return customers. So far we haven't had a hard time getting people to sign up -- because we have freebies & they have to sign up to get one! LOL

Wendy

Thanks again!

Archived