• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

My Site, Going Live soon....

PoloJohn

hi there, i have been working on an Oscommerce cart to supply car modifications in the UK!

i know its pretty standard template, things have been moved around and colours have not yet been experimented with (suggestions welcome)

many of my competitors have similar sites, doesnt have to be flashy to sell the product

im looking for suggestions on how to take the site further though, my payment module seems to be screwing up as well, i need a table rate that works on weight but sometimes it seems to add up wrong :S

suggestions welcome, remembering i am on a budget , i am seeing my Web Developer in an hour so any ideas i can put to him would be great!!

www.2modified.com

many of my competitors have similar sites, doesnt have to be flashy to sell the product

So what will you be bringing to the table to make you different enough to get noticed and have the customers buy from you instead of them? I don't see anything in your existing layout that would make me reach for my credit card. The header image is blurry and the generic product images on the front page are loud and not too eye-pleasing.

(Did you see last week's "The Apprentice" where one of the teams created a brochure for a new car and intentionally put a blurry picture of the car near the front of it? They got torn apart!)

suggestions welcome, remembering i am on a budget , i am seeing my Web Developer in an hour so any ideas i can put to him would be great!!

If it's a professional Web Developer you're seeing, I'd suggest you take some recommendations from him. :)

HTH,

Terry

Terry Kluytmans

Contribs Installed: Purchase Without Account (PWA); Big Images, Product Availability, Description in Product Listing, Graphical Infobox, Header Tags Controller, Login Box, Option Type Feature, plus many layout changes & other mods of my own, like:

Add order total to checkout_shipment

Add order total to checkout_payment

Add radio buttons at checkout_shipping (for backorder options, etc.)

Duplicate Table Rate Shipping Module

Better Product Review Flow

* If at first you don't succeed, find out if there's a prize for the loser. *

So what will you be bringing to the table to make you different enough to get noticed and have the customers buy from you instead of them? I don't see anything in your existing layout that would make me reach for my credit card. The header image is blurry and the generic product images on the front page are loud and not too eye-pleasing.

(Did you see last week's "The Apprentice" where one of the teams created a brochure for a new car and intentionally put a blurry picture of the car near the front of it? They got torn apart!)

If it's a professional Web Developer you're seeing, I'd suggest you take some recommendations from him. :)

HTH,

Terry

better advertising, forums etc have been untouched by the bigger companies offering group buys etc, a greater product range and instant online help with the order...

The image is blurry so that it doesnt take the focus from the name in the bottom right, if you look at the cobble stones the camera was focused on them to give an arty effect, have you got any other suggestions?

the products on the front page will change when i have added more, thats just a particularly lairy image for a certain brand of spring, thats nothing to worry about

he is a professional developer yes, not a designer :)

keep them coming...

we have been looking at colours but im not that creative so am not really sure what to use, the white doesnt offend anyone even though its not the nicest colour - maybe a subtle blue or silver? what do you think..

i know the site is still pretty stock but i am on a budget and not a web developer myself so have worked within my own boundaries to make the best of it :)

i have put some Manufacturers shortcut links on the front page, what do you think of them?

can you see anything that would put you off buying from my store, not from the point of view of someone who doesnt like the way Osc is standard but from a neutral who maybe doesnt know it is a template...

thanks for all your advice, keep it coming :)

I don't think it is that bad, even though it is basically stock and that big header kind of changes the feel.

I would suggest pulling colors from the header image and use them throught the site, to get rid of the light blue kinda color that comes with osc. Shades of green that match the small amount of grass in the image might work well.

ps, I kinda actually like the way the image is blurred. You know exactly what it is, and it lets your store name pop out which is good. You want people to remember your name.

Good luck =)

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

I don't think it is that bad, even though it is basically stock and that big header kind of changes the feel.

I would suggest pulling colors from the header image and use them throught the site, to get rid of the light blue kinda color that comes with osc. Shades of green that match the small amount of grass in the image might work well.

Good luck =)

thanks for that :)

i like to think the small things that we have done make it look quite professional..

as for the green idea, yes we thought about that but Green isnt really associated with automotive products, British racing Green perhaps, we will certainly experiment with it!

As long as its not neon green. LOL Not sure you need a color associated with anything. Atleast it wouldn't matter to me as a shopper. I just like to see things that are pleasing to my eye. Not make me want to run away screaming because I was blinded. hehehe

Flow, and consistancy is most important to me, when looking through a website. Something that pulls it all together. Not sure that makes sense. Hope it does though. =)

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

yes, i see your point :)

i was kinda making the same point with the look of the site in general, it may not be super flashy and is still in stock form but it wont make people run away...

we are thinking of ways to trust the site hence the Prominant Protx logo and Live Support

does anyone know which cards i should be taking in the UK, my PSP said something about Amex bypassing fraud checks so dont really want to take it...

It would be cool if users or anyone could submit images to your gallery via a handy script. If you have a little php experience and think it's a good idea, you should snoop around hotscripts.com...am I allowed to do that. <-

It would be cool if users or anyone could submit images to your gallery via a handy script. If you have a little php experience and think it's a good idea, you should snoop around hotscripts.com...am I allowed to do that. <-

thats a nice idea yes but ideally i would like to be able to approve pictures as people could abuse the system

also, i only pick the best looking cars to go in the gallery rather than standard cars :)

Archived