• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Faster way to issue credits on returns?

cgchris99

There must be a better way to handle returned merchandise. I haven't installed the RMA contirbution yet. Last time I looked at the thread there were still issues with it working properyl.

But that is not really what I am talking about. Right now when an item is returned for credit, we have go into our merchant account, lookup the transaction, record the information in a spreadsheet we keep, then enter the refund and then go to the oscommerce invoice and put a note on the order that it was processed and remove that item from the invoice so the monthly sales figures are corrected.

Is there a better way?

Thanks

There must be a better way to handle returned merchandise.  I haven't installed the RMA contirbution yet.  Last time I looked at the thread there were still issues with it working properyl.

But that is not really what I am talking about.  Right now when an item is returned for credit, we have go into our merchant account, lookup the transaction, record the information in a spreadsheet we keep, then enter the refund and then go to the oscommerce invoice and put a note on the order that it was processed and remove that item from the invoice so the monthly sales figures are corrected.

Is there a better way?

Thanks

Not that I know of ... I'm working on creating this for a customer right now, actually, to do exactly what you're saying, because I don't think it exists.

Scott

Right now when an item is returned for credit, we have go into our merchant account, lookup the transaction, record the information in a spreadsheet we keep, then enter the refund and then go to the oscommerce invoice and put a note on the order that it was processed and remove that item from the invoice so the monthly sales figures are corrected.

I don't have very many returns, but I use nearly the same process you describe, except that I don't adjust the invoice. I just add a comment to it just in case anything further ever happens with that order.

Then I use data from the returns log to have the necessary entries made in the monthly accounting. I don't have affiliates, so that is sufficient for my bookeeping.

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Rule #2: Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

• 1 month later...

It seems to me that OSC is very lacking in the refunds/returns area. Yes, I am aware of the RMA contribution. That should be built into OSC not an add on. Anyone that ships anything will most likely at some time or another need to do an RMA. This doesn't even get into the issuing of the credit part which is also needed.

Archived