• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] - USPS Methods

Hello Dave,

Wonderful contribution. I added to it a bit just to show some user friendly instructions within admin tools to help developers and customers alike to set this up properly.

Please feel free to critique it.

Now onto my questions:

-----

1. Weight Issue: Ran into a bit of an issue / unexpected bug.

Here is the problem:

For those not aware, USPS Priority only allows up to 70 lbs.

When I added more items to my cart and the total weight came over 70 lbs, it comes back with an error and won't retrieve ANY of the USPS shipping methods.

As soon as I got the weight down below 70, it worked fine again.

Any suggestions?

2. Order: Is there any way to reorder the available shipping options during checkout to show cheapest to most expense?

The UPS XML system does a wonderful job of this.

----------

Any help you can provide on these items is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Bruce

19 contributions submitted

how can priority be cheaper than parcel?!

The topic of Parcel pricing vs Priority pricing has been around here for quite long. My installation of USPS Methods (v.2.8b with no modification) works well in Domestic Delivery (USA) options: Parcel is CHEAPER than Priority.

BUT, if Global Delivery applies, Airmail Parcel (4~10days) and Economy (Surface) Parcel (4~6 Weeks) are much HIGHER then Global Priority Mail (4~6 Days)

For example: I had tests with a dummy merchandise (1lb total) shipped from Illinois/US to Ontario/Canada

The USPS Global Delivery prices displayed are:

GXG Doc (2-3 days) usd 33

GXG Non-Doc (2-3 days) usd 36

Express (3-5 days) usd 16.25

>>Priority Flat-rate Env Large (4-6 days) usd 7

>>Priority Flat-rate Env Small (4-6 days) usd 4

>>Priority Flate-rate Enve Var Weight (single) (4-6 days) usd 8

Airmail Letter-post (4-7 days) usd 3.75

>>Airmail Parcel post (4-10 days) usd 13.25

Economy (Surface) letter-post (4-6 Weeks) usd 2.7

>>Economy (Surface) Parcel Post (4-6 Weeks) usd 15.25

JUst wonder if this is mis-calculated by the USPS Methods module or has something to do with USPS's end?

Thanks for sharing any thoughts & Ideas!

Just found out at USPS International Service Calculation page that my test results is exactly same as those display by USPS website. It seems nothing with USPS Methods module for the Global Delivery Pricing. There could be something to do with USPS' pricing itself. I'll give them a call to make it clearer.

Result Link for shipping 1lb item from US to Canda

how can priority be cheaper than parcel?!

I posted a similar issue related to Parcel vs Priority in Global delivery (see my previous posts right above this one). I just talked with USPS. They told me the parcel pricing (Global economy, up to 5lb, 4-6 weeks) IS INDEED HIGHER than Global Priority Mail - Flate-rate envelopes (up to 4lb, 4-6 days).

The reason as they explained is that: parcel dimensions are varied and set by senders, but dimesions of flate-rate envs and boxes are fixed, which is much easier for USPS to handle, hence Priority has lower rates than parcels.

Hope you can get some clues here and further find out the pricing issue for Domestic parcel shipping.

Good Luck

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have installed this mod & am waiting for authorization for the production server from USPS. Everything seems to have installed fine, but I do not see any settings for the mentioned options.

From the admin area all the options I have for USPS Shipping (in order) are:

Enable USPS Shipping (Radio Buttons)

Enter the USPS User ID (Text Box)

Enter the USPS Password (Text Box)

Which server to use (Radio Buttons)

Handling Fee (Text Box)

Tax Class (Combo Box - Drop Down List)

Shipping Zone (Combo Box - Drop Down List)

Sort Order (Text Box)

And then after that there are 3 text boxes with no labels... I don't recall these being there prior to installing the mod.

Am I missing something here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Installed this mod (great mod by the way :>), USPS Methods v2.8b, but noticed that this newest version does not have the insurance add-on that was in 2.7d. Is there a way of quickly adding that insurance add-on without reinstalling? Would like to have this as an option.

Thanks! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

It would be nice to have insurance as an option that the customer chooses or not. But we'll see won't we?

My question is that I recently upgraded to the latest version to comply with the changs the postal service made on Jan 8th. Previously I was able to edit Line 58 in cataloge/includes/modules/shipping/usps.php

from

'Priority Lg' => 'Global Priority Mail - Flat-rate Envelope (Large)',

to

'Priority Lg' => 'Global Priority Mail - Can NOT fit LP records',

Now when I try to do the same thing to line 52 (the exact same line) in the new version the option drops off the screen for the customer. It is a trivial change I know but it saves us a lot of headaches from customer trying to cheap out on the shipping. When we can't ship what they ordered that way.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

On your last day only you will have to approve or disaprove of how your life has been.

i'm using 2.8

in the changelog it says

Changes since v2.6a
* Fixed the parcel post bug where the parcel postage would be greater than priority mail.

and i still have parcel showing greater than priority. anyone still getting this?

This is actually quite possible to occur. I have it happen at the post office all the time. That's one of the reasons that I prefer to just bag it and ship priority.

This is actually quite possible to occur. I have it happen at the post office all the time. That's one of the reasons that I prefer to just bag it and ship priority.

I don't get why people are still scratching their heads about this one. 1st the question was answered earlier in the thread. 2nd It says right on it "Flat Rate" that means only one rate, where as parcel is implied to by a variable rate, obviously if the weight gets high enough the variable rate will go higher than the flat rate for the same items.

On your last day only you will have to approve or disaprove of how your life has been.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I installed the contrib. wrong the first time. I went back and fixed the error I made in the modules.php file but now get this error when attempting to click on Modules from the admin side:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_CASE in /home/bower515/public_html/catalog/admin/modules.php on line 67

Here's the beginning part of my modules.php file. I have to be missing something easy but I've just been making so many mods lately my eyes are starting to cross

<?php
/*
 $Id: modules.php,v 1.47 2003/06/29 22:50:52 hpdl Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
 http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/

require('includes/application_top.php');

$set = (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['set']) ? $HTTP_GET_VARS['set'] : '');

if (tep_not_null($set)) {
switch ($set) {
 // START STS PLUS 4.0
  case 'sts':
	$module_type = 'sts';
	$module_directory = DIR_FS_CATALOG_MODULES . 'sts/';
	$module_key = 'MODULE_STS_INSTALLED';
	define('HEADING_TITLE', HEADING_TITLE_MODULES_STS);	   
	break;
  // END STS PLUS 4.0
  case 'shipping':
	$module_type = 'shipping';
	$module_directory = DIR_FS_CATALOG_MODULES . 'shipping/';
	$module_key = 'MODULE_SHIPPING_INSTALLED';
	define('HEADING_TITLE', HEADING_TITLE_MODULES_SHIPPING);
	break;
  case 'ordertotal':
	$module_type = 'order_total';
	$module_directory = DIR_FS_CATALOG_MODULES . 'order_total/';
	$module_key = 'MODULE_ORDER_TOTAL_INSTALLED';
	define('HEADING_TITLE', HEADING_TITLE_MODULES_ORDER_TOTAL);
	break;
  case 'payment':
  default:
	$module_type = 'payment';
	$module_directory = DIR_FS_CATALOG_MODULES . 'payment/';
	$module_key = 'MODULE_PAYMENT_INSTALLED';
	define('HEADING_TITLE', HEADING_TITLE_MODULES_PAYMENT);
	break;
}
 }

$action = (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['action']) ? $HTTP_GET_VARS['action'] : '');
 if (tep_not_null($action)) {
switch ($action) {
  case 'save':
	while (list($key, $value) = each($HTTP_POST_VARS['configuration'])) {
	  if( is_array( $value ) ){
	  $value = implode( ", ", $value);
	  $value = ereg_replace (", --none--", "", $value);
		}
	  tep_db_query("update " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " set configuration_value = '" . $value . "' where configuration_key = '" . $key . "'");
	}
	tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_MODULES, 'set=' . $set . '&module=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['module']));
	break;
  case 'install':
	  tep_db_query("update " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " set configuration_value = '" . $value . "' where configuration_key = '" . $key . "'");
	}
	tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_MODULES, 'set=' . $set . '&module=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['module']));
	break;
  case 'install':
  case 'remove':
	$file_extension = substr($PHP_SELF, strrpos($PHP_SELF, '.'));
	$class = basename($HTTP_GET_VARS['module']);
	if (file_exists($module_directory . $class . $file_extension)) {
	  include($module_directory . $class . $file_extension);
	  $module = new $class;
	  if ($action == 'install') {
		$module->install();
	  } elseif ($action == 'remove') {
		$module->remove();
	  }
	}
	tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_MODULES, 'set=' . $set . '&module=' . $class));
	break;
}
 }
?>

Any thoughts?

bad_lemming thanks a lot, a great contribution indeed. Been using a while.

my media mail would not show trasit time to clients? looked into catalog/includes/modules/shipping/usps.php and it seems that it is not set there to show transite time.

adding something like

case 'Media Mail': $time = '7 - 10 ' . MODULE_SHIPPING_USPS_TEXT_DAYS;
break;

did not work.

Edited by kamurj

• 1 month later...

Hey folks.

I am trying to get the latest version (2.8d) to work and I am getting this error.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Error><Number>-2147219040</Number><Source>SOLServerRatesTest;SOLServerRatesTest.Rate_Respond</Source><Description>RateRequest is no longer supported. Use RateV2Request for canned tests.</Description><HelpFile></HelpFile><HelpContext>1000440</HelpContext></Error>

Does anyone know how to get this fixed?

Any help would be great!

anyone know if there is any way other than using fsocket to get the information from the post office? netfirms doesnt support it / the ups xml works fine though anyone know how it tranfers information?

Edited by dkalasz

• 1 month later...

I'm having some trouble with this contrib and I feel like an idiot because you all are speaking so highly of it. I must be missing something.

Some background...

1)Downloaded and installed USPS Methods 2.8d as per the directions.

2) When I installed this contrib, I had already modified my store some, so I followed the instructions and added the code to modules.php and general.php where indicated.

3) I've been moved to Production status by USPS, although I appears that they only give out a User ID as a password is no longer necessary (I received a confirmation of this when I requested a password specifically).

4)I have set my store's country and postal code in admin --> config--> shipping/packaging

5)I have set all the tax zone and rate informaition

Here what I get during checkout...

An error occured with the USPS shipping calculations.

If you prefer to use USPS as your shipping method, please contact the store owner.

Also, when I enable the USPS module I don't see a list of "domestic and international shipping methods to be offered"

FYI... I also don't see green or red buttons next to the USPS module or any others in the list.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Seemed to have solved my own problem as things are working fine now...

Prior to installing he contrib I had set "Enable USPS Shipping" to "False" and as documented above I had some trouble after installing it.

I decided to install the contrib again after restoring from my backup and this time I clicked the "Remove" button for the whole module prior to getting started. I then reinstalled the contrib and selected "Install" once I was back in the admin. Things seem to be working great.

Looking forward to learning from and contributing to this forum!

I'm having some trouble with this contrib and I feel like an idiot because you all are speaking so highly of it. I must be missing something.

Some background...

1)Downloaded and installed USPS Methods 2.8d as per the directions.

2) When I installed this contrib, I had already modified my store some, so I followed the instructions and added the code to modules.php and general.php where indicated.

3) I've been moved to Production status by USPS, although I appears that they only give out a User ID as a password is no longer necessary (I received a confirmation of this when I requested a password specifically).

4)I have set my store's country and postal code in admin --> config--> shipping/packaging

5)I have set all the tax zone and rate informaition

Here what I get during checkout...

If you prefer to use USPS as your shipping method, please contact the store owner.

Also, when I enable the USPS module I don't see a list of "domestic and international shipping methods to be offered"

FYI... I also don't see green or red buttons next to the USPS module or any others in the list.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Sorry for such a Newbie question, but what USPS shipping methods does this allow you to select? I have to pay my tech to install it and want to make sure it does 1st class, priority, and express before hiring his services to install it.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Scottsdalecards.com

I've been using the USPSMethods 2.8d module for a few months now successfully.

On 4/27/06 I received an email from USPS that they will being requiring HTTPS connections starting in September 30, 2006 and the old HTTP connections to http://production.shippingapis.com will go away.

Has anyone addressed the changes necessary to update USPSMethods 2.8d to go to:

https://secure.shippingapis.com

Your help is much appreciated.

Nathan

I have a Canadian customer who is trying to order. They get this error when they reach the shipping page:

Under International, I have have 2 options selected, as I only want to ship with USPS Global Priority:

Priority Lg

Priority Sm

I have no issues when I was trying to use Intl Airmail, or US Priority.

Can someone who uses USPS Intl Global Priority please advise? :)

Edited by TulaneJeff

I have a Canadian customer who is trying to order. They get this error when they reach the shipping page:

Under International, I have have 2 options selected, as I only want to ship with USPS Global Priority:

Priority Lg

Priority Sm

I have no issues when I was trying to use Intl Airmail, or US Priority.

Can someone who uses USPS Intl Global Priority please advise? :)

Hello,

Is this cotribution support Flat Rate Box? If yes, how can I enable this option? The only options I have in my admin/shipping modules/usps are:

Domestic Shipping Methods

Express

Priority

First Class

Parcel

BPM

Library

Media

Int'l Shipping Methods

GXG Document

GXG Non-Document

Express