• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] - USPS Methods

I'm having 1 issue that is keeping me from having my USPS Methods 5.2+ module fully working.

I'm getting "extra" characters randomly inserted into my USPS xml response. They are typically only 3-4 characters and inserted into the response in 4 or 5 different locations. It causes my preg-match statements to fail after hitting the first one in the USPS response xml code. Most of the time the preg_match statement miss hitting this code but it varies by country.

Here's a small section (only 1 service type) of the USPS XML Response email for Canada that shows the issue:

ID="26"><Pounds>0</Pounds><Ounces>9.6</Ounces><Machinable>True</Machinable><MailType>ALL</MailType><Container>RECTANGULAR</Container><Size>REGULAR</Size><Width>1</Width><Length>1</Length><Height>1</Height><Girth>0</Girth><Country>CANADA</Country><Postage>64.95</Postage><CommercialPostage>64.95</CommercialPostage><ExtraServices><ExtraService><ServiceID>1</ServiceID><ServiceName>Insurance</ServiceName><Available>True</Available><OnlineAvailable>True</OnlineAvailable><Price>

1f31

0.00</Price><PriceOnline>0.00</PriceOnline><DeclaredValueRequired>True</DeclaredValueRequired></ExtraService></ExtraServices><ValueOfContents>130.00</ValueOfContents><SvcCommitments>3 - 5 business days</SvcCommitments><SvcDescription>Priority Mail Express International&lt;sup&gt;&#8482;&lt;/sup&gt; Flat Rate Boxes</SvcDescription><MaxDimensions>USPS-Produced Box: 13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" or 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2"<br>Maximum weight 20 pounds.</MaxDimensions><MaxWeight>20</MaxWeight></Service>

As you can see, I'm getting characters inserted in the response. The "1F31" in the middle of the response is causing the issue. In this example, it breaks the insurance preg_match statement and returns NULL vs. $0.00 for the $iinsurance value. All other $iinsurance values for other services are all wrong after hittingthis error. Depending on where the extra characters are inserted into the response, it could affect the service name, postage, sign conformation, insurance, etc.

I'm using a modified USPS Methods 5.2+ with oscommerce 2.2 (CRELoaded 6.3+). Using xampp development server. I've already tried to replace my xml.php files (admin/includes/classes & includes/classes) to the ones in USPS Methods 6.1a as they were different. It did not make any difference. I also added the xml_5.php files the both folders and added the code (lines 12-16) from USPS Methods v6.1c to the top of my usps.php -- It's the test for PHP_VERSION >=5.0.0. That also did not make any difference in the problem.

Has anyone ever seen this issue and know how to fix it???

Are you running on the test server? That's been throwing random junk characters into the response. I haven't seen this on the live server for domestic. I'll go run a test on Canada and see what happens.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Please help - for those of you paying attention to USPS Methods?

I did the following today:

1. Uninstalled USPS Shipping

2. Stripped out all fields in the Configuration Table that had to do with USPS Methods. I checked that several times, along with backups and restores. So, I'm fairly confident I had a clean database.

3. Ran the USPS_methods_utility.php file and copied the response into the Methods 6.1a usps.php file in the correct places (domestic values and international values).

4. Copied over the usps.php file (not edited) to includes/languages/English/modules/shipping and the other usps.php file (edited in #3. above) to includes/modules/shipping.

5. Re-installed USPS Shipping. Low and behold, all the funky new services showed up for Domestic and International.

6. This is where it gets tricky - ever since Methods 6, I've had to punch the values in manually to the configuration table using phpMyAdmnin. I did all of that, got my USPS user Id in there, and selected the services I wanted - Priority Express 1-Day, Priority Mail 1-Day, Standard Post, and First-Class Mail Parcel for Domestic. (I also selected "First-Class Package Service," but I can't find that on the USPS site?) Priority Mail Express International, Priority Mail International, and First-Class Package International Service was selected for International.

7. Added the rest of my settings - handling on those services, False for insurance, etc., etc. into phpMyAdmin.

Here is what I get for a domestic test checkout:

"-2147219101 Missing value for Service."

Here is what I get for an international test checkout:

"An error occured with the USPS shipping calculations.

If you would like to use USPS as your shipping method, please contact the store owner."

Any ideas?

Did a fresh install with a clean database restored and did nothing this time but put in my USPS userid (but with the USPS_methods_utility.php-edited usps.php left in place. I get the same thing:

Domestic -

"-2147219101 Missing value for Service."

International works!! (but looks stupid with all the services):

This is currently the only shipping method available to use on this order.

United States Postal Service (1 pkg, 1.10 lbs total) United States Postal Service

Priority Mail Express International™ Flat Rate Boxes

---Approximate delivery time from mailing date 3 - 5 business days $64.95

Global Express Guaranteed® (GXG)**

---Insured for $120

---Approximate delivery time from mailing date 1 - 3 business days $64.10

USPS GXG™ Envelopes**

---Insured for $120

---Approximate delivery time from mailing date 1 - 3 business days $64.10

Priority Mail International® Large Flat Rate Box

---Insured for $120

---Approximate delivery time from mailing date 6 - 10 business days $58.70

Priority Mail International® Medium Flat Rate Box

---Insured for $120

---Approximate delivery time from mailing date 6 - 10 business days $45.70

Priority Mail Express International™

---Approximate delivery time from mailing date 3 - 5 business days $41.40

Priority Mail International®

---Insured for $120

---Approximate delivery time from mailing date 6 - 10 business days $35.35

Priority Mail Express International™ Flat Rate Envelope

---Approximate delivery time from mailing date 3 - 5 business days $34.95

Priority Mail Express International™ Padded Flat Rate Envelope

Priority Mail Express International™ Legal Flat Rate Envelope

Priority Mail International® Small Flat Rate Envelope**

---Approximate delivery time from mailing date 6 - 10 business days $19.95

Priority Mail International® Window Flat Rate Envelope**

Priority Mail International® Gift Card Flat Rate Envelope**

Priority Mail International® Flat Rate Envelope**

Priority Mail International® Padded Flat Rate Envelope**

Priority Mail International® Legal Flat Rate Envelope**

First-Class Package International Service™**

---Approximate delivery time from mailing date Varies by destination $11.95

First-Class Mail® International Large Envelope**

---Approximate delivery time from mailing date Varies by destination $6.15

So maybe I forked up the settings before with International, but what's going on with Domestic?

Edited by TomB01

I've seen this happen. I think it's a blank line in the request that USPS is interpreting as a broken service request. When you copy the text over from the USPS_methods_utility.php, make certain that it has no extra returns or blank lines. Or you could paste it here and I'll see if I can spot anything wrong.

Regards

Jim

Kymation - thanks for reply.

Yes, I'm testing on the USPS testing server but I've also tried a request to the production server with the same results (extra characters in the response xml).

Was your other response related to this issue ?? (post #1285)

If so, I did have a few lines commented out such as some of the extra services that I don't use. I had removed all the "//" that commented out the lines and still had the same results. I don't have any blank lines in the request. I've looked the request over several time and have not seen anything that is wrong.

I've seen this happen. I think it's a blank line in the request that USPS is interpreting as a broken service request. When you copy the text over from the USPS_methods_utility.php, make certain that it has no extra returns or blank lines. Or you could paste it here and I'll see if I can spot anything wrong.

Regards

Jim

Thanks! I will do some more work on my own, first. :wacko: Maybe I can contribute something, eventually. I should've known it wouldn't be as easy as copying and pasting from the browser output of USPS_methods_utility. The browser converted a lot of the TM and R symbols into the actual symbols instead of "&8482;", etc. I made a 2nd try at replacing the TM and R symbols with the proper HTML code, but you're probably right that there's a blank line or something in there that shouldn't be, either. I've got an HTML source output, now, and will work with that to see if it works. Apparently the > and < versus < or > doesn't seem to bother it, because that was all imbedded in the International options that worked - but not these TM and R symbols on the domestic side.

I don't remember if it's safe to use the browser output. I seem to remember that you need to use View Source in your browser to get the raw output. I could be wrong there.

Regards

Jim

some of the output uses & to "preserve" the html entity, and some of the output just inserts the html entity... it's inconsistent, so i very much doubt that "view source" (with a whole lotta  's) is going to work better.

fwiw, i repackaged the changes for 6.1b... unfortunately i don't have too much time/energy to fiddle with things this time around. so...

* does anyone have a process (or have successfully) downgraded from 6.1x back down to 5.2?

I'm actually quite surprised that no one has implemented a "self-correcting/self-updating" USPS module for osC... wtf do other shopping cart/eCommerce solutions do?

kudos in advance to you, kymation, if you succeed in your quest (and i can just plug it in and not worry about breakage 2x a year...)

To TomB01

I have Methods 6.1c working, except the handling charge doesn't calculate properly. I have no time to look at that because paypal is barking now. I have a messed up paypal module. I use Standard Post and FedEx for shipping.

The problem is that one or some of your domestic sevices are failing. Turn off all the services except one, and test each individually until you identify the faied ones.

The solution is in the arrays near the top of usps.php If those are not configured correctly, the value "title" goes missing in the

line where the radio button is. This is the crux of the problem.

Another way to see what services are failing is to open firebug, put something in the shopping cart and checkout. When you expand the html in firebug all the way to those services, you will find that the broken services have no value for title.

This is the line that calls for title in checkout_shipping.php It writes in the text to the left of the price.

<td class="main vam" width="75%"><?php echo $quotes[$i]['methods'][$j]['title']; ?></td>

Here is the html from firebug that shows two shipping modules (usps and fedex) . The fedex module works properly and has the value "FedEx Ground" for title. It was missing for usps.

The html above the <DOCTYPE definition comes from variable print commands inserted into the fedexwebservices.php and usps.php files

<!-- <pre>FedEx</pre> --> variable $quote['id'] from fedexwebservices.php this is used for the heading to the left of the FedEx logo

<!-- <pre></pre> --> variable $shiptitle from usps.php

<!-- <pre>Standard Post®</pre> --> variable $quote['id'] from usps.php In usps, I think this should be "United States Postal Service", but there is a glitch. On the webpage it reads United States Postal Service, but this variable here is

Standard Post®

<!-- <pre></pre> --> variable $title from usps.php

<!-- <pre>16.58</pre> --> variable $cost from usps.php this is correct.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<tr class="moduleRow" onclick="selectRowEffect(this, 0)" onmouseout="rowOutEffect(this)" onmouseover="rowOverEffect(this)">

<td width="10">

<td class="main vam" width="75%">Fedex Ground</td> This is the result of the line referenced above in checkout_shipping.php

<!-- <pre></pre> --> variable $j['title']

<!-- <pre>Array ( [0] => Array ( [id] => FEDEXGROUND [title] => Fedex Ground [cost] => 24.6 ) ) </pre> --> variable $quotes['i']['methods']

<!-- <pre>2</pre> --> variable $n - counts the number of shipping modules

<td class="main vam">$24.60</td>

<td class="main vam" align="right">

<td width="10">

</tr>

<tr class="moduleRow" onclick="selectRowEffect(this, 1)" onmouseout="rowOutEffect(this)" onmouseover="rowOverEffect(this)">

<td width="10">

<td class="main vam" width="75%"></td> This is the result of the line referenced above in checkout_shipping.php

<!-- <pre>Array ( [0] => Array ( [id] => Standard Post® [title] => [cost] => 16.58 ) ) </pre> --> variable $quotes['i']['methods']

I think it should read Array ( [0] => Array ( [id] => United States Postal Service [title] => Standard Post® [cost] => 16.58 ) )

<td class="main vam">$16.58</td>

<td width="10">

</tr>

Anyhow, I got it working, but the main work is in getting the details in the arrays right.

For Standard Post the value for title that worked was Standard Post<sup>®</sup>

To TomB01

I have Methods 6.1c working, except the handling charge doesn't calculate properly. I have no time to look at that because paypal is barking now. I have a messed up paypal module. I use Standard Post and FedEx for shipping.

The problem is that one or some of your domestic sevices are failing. T urn off all the services except one, and test each individually until you identify the faied ones.

The solution is in the arrays near the top of usps.php If those are not configured correctly, the value "title" goes missing in the

line where the radio button is. This is the crux of the problem.

Another way to see what services are failing is to open firebug, put something in the shopping cart and checkout. When you expand the html in firebug all the way to those services, you will find that the broken services have no value for title.

This is the line that calls for title in checkout_shipping.php It writes in the text to the left of the price.

<td class="main vam" width="75%"><?php echo $quotes[$i]['methods'][$j]['title']; ?></td>

Here is the html from firebug that shows two shipping modules (usps and fedex) . The fedex module works properly and has the value "FedEx Ground" for title. It was missing for usps.

The html above the <DOCTYPE definition comes from variable print commands inserted into the fedexwebservices.php and usps.php files

<!-- <pre>FedEx</pre> --> variable $quote['id'] from fedexwebservices.php this is used for the heading to the left of the FedEx logo

<!-- <pre></pre> --> variable $shiptitle from usps.php

<!-- <pre>Standard Post®</pre> --> variable $quote['id'] from usps.php In usps, I think this should be "United States Postal Service", but there is a glitch. On the webpage it reads United States Postal Service, but this variable here is

Standard Post®

<!-- <pre></pre> --> variable $title from usps.php

<!-- <pre>16.58</pre> --> variable $cost from usps.php this is correct.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<tr class="moduleRow" onclick="selectRowEffect(this, 0)" onmouseout="rowOutEffect(this)" onmouseover="rowOverEffect(this)">

<td width="10">

<td class="main vam" width="75%">Fedex Ground</td> This is the result of the line referenced above in checkout_shipping.php

<!-- <pre>Array ( [0] => Array ( [id] => FEDEXGROUND [title] => Fedex Ground [cost] => 24.6 ) ) </pre> --> variable $quotes['i']['methods']

<td class="main vam">$24.60</td>

<td width="10">

</tr>

<tr class="moduleRow" onclick="selectRowEffect(this, 1)" onmouseout="rowOutEffect(this)" onmouseover="rowOverEffect(this)">

<td width="10">

<td class="main vam" width="75%"></td> This is the result of the line referenced above in checkout_shipping.php

<!-- <pre>Array ( [0] => Array ( [id] => Standard Post® [title] => [cost] => 16.58 ) ) </pre> --> variable $quotes['i']['methods']

I think it should read Array ( [0] => Array ( [id] => United States Postal Service [title] => Standard Post® [cost] => 16.58 ) )

<td class="main vam">$16.58</td>

<td width="10">

</tr>

Anyhow, I got it working, but the main work is in getting the details in the arrays right.

For Standard Post the value for title that worked was Standard Post<sup>®</sup>

Hmm - guess it shows I'm behind the times, never heard of firebug.

Thanks for the suggestions and yes, I suspected as much after thinking about it today - but I was considering just using one value in the array at a time and just testing for that. After all, selecting which services you want in Admin is simply a convenience I can't enjoy anymore because I'm punching/editing the strings directly in the configuration database anyway. Maybe I should find out what's wrong with the Admin modules.php?

I will give it another shot soon - I'm pretty tied down with my "real" job Mon-Thurs.

EDIT: I think the handling charge is tied up in those arrays, too. They're keyed to the same positions in the services field. There's probably not a one-to-one correspondence anymore and that's causing the handling charges array to mess up.

Edited by TomB01

Well, I tried it with just First Class Parcel. Anyone know what the difference is between First Class Parcel and First Class Package Service? I don't see anything on the USPS website that refers to First Class Package Service, but it's in the list of methods that returns using the utility.

Anyway, with only First Class Parcel, it's showing a price, but it doesn't agree with what's calculated at that weight if you check it with "Calculate A price" on the usps.com website. It's not adding in the handling charge and there's no description except for "1 day".

cnchal - I will have to study your post. It's a bit difficult for me to decipher code from the text of your post, but I'll keep trying. Thanks much!

Hi everyone, just arriving at this party,

I'm working on a site with USPS Methods 6.1. It recently stopped working, especially on International shipping (domestic shipping still works, although it's not displaying the names correctly). I suspect the sudden failure is related to the USPS API changes of July 28.

I was pleased to see that bkpie uploaded changes to USPS Methods accounting for these API changes, but they are for Methods v 5.2. From TomB01's experience, it sounds like it is not safe to use this patch on 6.1. Is anyone already working on porting those changes over to the 6.1 code? If not, I'm going to work on it, my client really wants his international shipping working again soon. But I'm kind of surprised that no one has already done it, or is at least working on it. I mean, didn't everyone who is running USPS Methods v 6.x start experiencing problems last week because of this?

Any guidance, anyone? Am I missing something?

Hi everyone, just arriving at this party,

I'm working on a site with USPS Methods 6.1. It recently stopped working, especially on International shipping (domestic shipping still works, although it's not displaying the names correctly). I suspect the sudden failure is related to the USPS API changes of July 28.

I was pleased to see that bkpie uploaded changes to USPS Methods accounting for these API changes, but they are for Methods v 5.2. From TomB01's experience, it sounds like it is not safe to use this patch on 6.1. Is anyone already working on porting those changes over to the 6.1 code? If not, I'm going to work on it, my client really wants his international shipping working again soon. But I'm kind of surprised that no one has already done it, or is at least working on it. I mean, didn't everyone who is running USPS Methods v 6.x start experiencing problems last week because of this?

Any guidance, anyone? Am I missing something?

I'm still going to work on it - just that I'm tied up until Thursday night.

I agree with what you're saying. I've got International working on my 6.1, but nothing yet on domestic. My efforts at using the USPS_methods_utility.php file in 6.1 was not totally successful. I suspect that we 1) ought to be able to use bkpie's array statements for domestic, or 2) use the methods that kymation's initial development code returned to build the domestic array. (See kymations USPS development thread in the Add-Ons Development section of this forum.)

I just haven't had an opportunity to try any of the above yet - this weekend, I will, though.

The back-to-5.2 effort left database fields all over the place. So, I've taken to backing up a clean database (with respect to USPS settings) and restoring it every time I unload another install effort.

@@bkpie Now a client running 2.5.x osCmax (a version I rather dislike so I am not very well versed there) just tells me his USPS is not working.. he is getting domestic, I have to assume with handling, the rates look pretty spot on to me.. however the rates are showing

<sup>™</sup>

and it is NOT pulling ANY international.. so I have to get on this for him..

His module file shows:

$Id: usps.php 1692 2012-02-26 01:26:50Z [email protected] $

osCmax e-Commerce
 http://www.oscmax.com

Copyright 2000 - 2011 osCmax

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/
//USPS Mod version 5.2.2

So now I am not 100% sure where to go with that.. I do see in the oscMax bug tracker a revised version so I'm going to fool with that in the AM and plenty of gogo juice :)

Debbie D
Franklin County, VA "Moonshine Capitol of the World"
osCmax Mobile Template oscmaxtemplates.com

I see someone uploaded a 6.1c update here which should help you with your title problems. http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/487 I will test this one later in the week

OK, I manually edited my usps.php to agree with the domestic arrays in the 6.1c update (from BDuell) and changed 'title' => $title , to 'title' => $quote['id'] , at four places. The only other difference in the files is the following function, which seems to crash on my OsC 2.2:

function usps_method_sort($a, $b) {

// ascending sort on cost, then ascending sort on title

if ($a['cost'] == $b['cost']) {

if ($a['title'] == $b['title']) {

return 0;

} else {

return (($a['title'] > $b['title']) ? 1 : -1);

}

} else {

return (($a['cost'] > $b['cost']) ? 1 : -1);

}

Using a file compare, those were the only essential differences between my usps.php and BDuell's.

So, things work better, but not quite right. I don't get any Standard Post. Plus, all the information that used to print out for insurance, tracking, transit times, etc. are gone. There's only a single line for each service, a radio button, and price. Same for international - but almost every revision of usps.php has international working. I'm sort of assuming that's all we get now because the transit times are imbedded in the service title. I've looked at some other threads that had issues with Standard Post appearing, but my code is the same as those that were fixed:

'Standard Post' => 'Standard Post<sup>®</sup>'

Edited by TomB01

Arrrggh!!

It's only selecting the Express Mail option (the most expensive I have selected) in every case - both domestic and international. It makes no difference which radio button is selected.

Help?

OK - after working on this all weekend, I gave up on Methods 6.1.

I very carefully, loaded "USPS Methods 5.2.2 - COMPLETE," following every edit in the HTML instructions page and using bkpie's "V5.2 for July 28th changed Corrected." It was interesting because there was a lot of code that was never included on my 6.1 install. Anyway, it all appears to work right now, except I can't get handling charges to work on domestic.

Any ideas? Meanwhile, there was a hack where someone used $cost = $cost + handlingcharges ... think I'll use that for now.

P.S. On the install of 5.2.2 - COMPLETE, I made absolutely certain the configuration table was clean of any USPS_Methods. It's a bit tricky, because there are some fields that I guess were so long they couldn't fit "USPS" in the field name, but it was pretty easy to tell it went with USPS Methods - so look carefully if you do the table cleaning.

Edited by TomB01

OK - after working on this all weekend, I gave up on Methods 6.1.

I very carefully, loaded "USPS Methods 5.2.2 - COMPLETE," following every edit in the HTML instructions page and using bkpie's "V5.2 for July 28th changed Corrected." It was interesting because there was a lot of code that was never included on my 6.1 install. Anyway, it all appears to work right now, except I can't get handling charges to work on domestic.

Any ideas? Meanwhile, there was a hack where someone used $cost = $cost + handlingcharges ... think I'll use that for now.

P.S. On the install of 5.2.2 - COMPLETE, I made absolutely certain the configuration table was clean of any USPS_Methods. It's a bit tricky, because there are some fields that I guess were so long they couldn't fit "USPS" in the field name, but it was pretty easy to tell it went with USPS Methods - so look carefully if you do the table cleaning.

I can't deal with it now, going to church services, but check my post 1277 and 1272. Information here will lead you to a.forever's v 5.2.2 module that I am using and I get handling fees, but there is still a bug as reported in post 1272.

Production:
osCommerce V. 2.3.4BS
VPS Box

@@bkpie Now a client running 2.5.x osCmax (a version I rather dislike so I am not very well versed there) just tells me his USPS is not working.. he is getting domestic, I have to assume with handling, the rates look pretty spot on to me.. however the rates are showing

<sup>™</sup>

and it is NOT pulling ANY international.. so I have to get on this for him..

His module file shows:

$Id: usps.php 1692 2012-02-26 01:26:50Z [email protected] $

osCmax e-Commerce
http://www.oscmax.com

Copyright 2000 - 2011 osCmax

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/
//USPS Mod version 5.2.2

So now I am not 100% sure where to go with that.. I do see in the oscMax bug tracker a revised version so I'm going to fool with that in the AM and plenty of gogo juice :)

@ Wkdwich I am not familiar with 2.5 either. I was going to try it sometime in the future but time has been very limited. @@tom I will have to look at forevers and see why his handling is working. That seems to be the only issue I have for the services I offer to customers.

Well guys we are still in a pickle.. My osCMax v2.5 guy, I did a complete overhaul for usps methods v5.2 with bkpie's July fix..I dont see a module file later than that one.. the issue is still no handling fees being added.. everything else seems to be on the mark.. its just the handling fees... anyone get it cranking?? And.. I think it was TomB01 - yea.. in my install there was some of what was needed some that was already there and then there was a few DEETH statements I added but were already there so I had to take them out.. like I said .. it runs, but no handling fees

On the contrary.. my osCmax 2.0.35 install is adding in the handling fee.. I am using:

USPS Rate V4 Intl Rate V2 - v.1.7
 $Mod: Changed from Parcel Post to Standard Post 20130129 Kymation $
 $Mod: USPS API changes 20130729 Kymation $

so let me see if i can find anything..

Debbie D
Franklin County, VA "Moonshine Capitol of the World"
osCmax Mobile Template oscmaxtemplates.com