• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

ARGGHHH!!

Maimunah

Ok so im new to this thing and im trying to follow exactly what it says in the documentaion and the advice given around in the forums..

So far ive been trying to change my logo.. i created a logo, called it oscommerce.gif, deleted the original logo in the /images folder... I uploaded the one i made, which has the same name as the old one (oscommerce.gif) and the old logo is still there!!! I refreshed the page a number of times but still.. nothing has changed..

another thing is you know how it says that if u want to change the text on the front page you have to go to catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php well i did that, i went to that file, edited it But before editing i copied the whole file to a text file just in case, so i followed exactly what was said to do.. all i did is erase text and add my own.. so i save the file and i try to go to the front page but it gave me an error "Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING "

so i go back to the file and copy the original text which i had saved on the text file just incase something like this orrured.. so i copied and pasted the text, then saved and I STILL GET THE ERROR!!!!

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/shebani/public_html/estore/catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php on line 14

WHAT DID I DO WRONG BOTH TIMES?

1. Assuming you did replace the .gif. It may still be a caching issue either locally on your PC or in a proxy server etc. Try right clicking and "view" the .gif in a browser, then click reflresh.

2. You probably used the osCommerce File Manager editor to edit the index.php. There is abug that removes back slashes \ and subsequently causes parse errors. (i.e. What\'s becomes What's) You need to "escape all ' with a \.

Start fresh on your PC with the edit, then ftp the file back to your site.

HTH

Tom

1. Assuming you did replace the .gif. It may still be a caching issue either locally on your PC or in a proxy server etc. Try right clicking and "view" the .gif in a browser, then click reflresh.

2. You probably used the osCommerce File Manager editor to edit the index.php. There is abug that removes back slashes \ and subsequently causes parse errors. (i.e. What\'s becomes What's) You need to "escape all ' with a \.

Start fresh on your PC with the edit, then ftp the file back to your site.

HTH

Tom

Thank you so much!

ok so EVERY ' I should add a \ in front of??? even the

if ( ($category_depth == 'products')

so it becomes like this:

if ( ($category_depth == /'products/')

or what???

No. When you input new text into a page you should escape apostrophies in the text with a preceeding backslash (not forward slash), as in:

Let's = wrong

Let\'s = right

Other pages already have apostrophies escaped with a backslash, and things other than apostrophies, and when you open those pages using the osCommerce File Manager, even if you edit nothing, if you click the Save button it uses the php command 'strip slashes' and strips out essential backslashes. This is why you must download file and edit in a plain text editor like NotePad and not use the osC File Manager to edit files.

Vger

No, only in the "defines" statement where you change text.

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'Welcome to my Mother\'s Online Store');

If you include HTML within the define statement, also watch for '

Always backup the file before making the change...... :-)

Tom

.....Bumping heads from across the "Pond"....Good to see you Rhea

No.? When you input new text into a page you should escape apostrophies in the text with a preceeding backslash (not forward slash), as in:

Let's = wrong

Let\'s = right

Other pages already have apostrophies escaped with a backslash, and things other than apostrophies, and when you open those pages using the osCommerce File Manager, even if you edit nothing, if you click the Save button it uses the php command 'strip slashes' and strips out essential backslashes.? This is why you must download file and edit in a plain text editor like NotePad and not use the osC File Manager to edit files.

Vger

ok so this text:

<?php

/*

? $Id: index.php,v 1.1 2003/06/11 17:38:00 hpdl Exp $

? osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

? http://www.oscommerce.com

? Copyright ? 2003 osCommerce

? Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products shown are for demonstrational purposes, <b>any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed</b>. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional.<br><br><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="5" cellpadding="2"><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/1.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Error Messages</b><br><br>If there are any error or warning messages shown above, please correct them first before proceeding.<br><br>Error messages are displayed at the very top of the page with a complete <span class="messageStackError">background</span> color.<br><br>Several checks are performed to ensure a healthy setup of your online store - these checks can be disabled by editing the appropriate parameters at the bottom of the includes/application_top.php file.</td></tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/2.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Editing Page Texts</b><br><br>The text shown here can be modified in the following file, on each language basis:<br><br><nobr class="messageStackSuccess">[path to catalog]/includes/languages/' . $language . '/' . FILENAME_DEFAULT . '</nobr><br><br>That file can be edited manually, or via the Administration Tool with the <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Languages->' . ucfirst($language) . '->Define</nobr> or <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Tools->File Manager</nobr> modules.<br><br>The text is set in the following manner:<br><br><nobr>define('TEXT_MAIN', '<span class="messageStackSuccess">This is a default setup of the osCommerce project...</span>');</nobr><br><br>The text highlighted in green may be modified - it is important to keep the define() of the TEXT_MAIN keyword. To remove the text for TEXT_MAIN completely, the following example is used where only two single quote characters exist:<br><br><nobr>define('TEXT_MAIN', '');</nobr><br><br>More information concerning the PHP define() function can be read <a href="http://www.php.net/define" target="_blank"><u>here</u></a>.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/3.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Securing The Administration Tool</b><br><br>It is important to secure the Administration Tool as there is currently no security implementation available.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/4.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Online Documentation</b><br><br>Online documentation can be read at the <a href="http://wiki.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Wiki Documentation Effort</u></a> site.<br><br>Community support is available at the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com/forums" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Community Support Forums</u></a> site.</td></tr></table><br>If you wish to download the solution powering this shop, or if you wish to contribute to the osCommerce project, please visit the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>support site of osCommerce</u></a>. This shop is running on osCommerce version <font color="#f0000"><b>' . PROJECT_VERSION . '</b></font>.');

define('TABLE_HEADING_NEW_PRODUCTS', 'New Products For %s');

define('TABLE_HEADING_UPCOMING_PRODUCTS', 'Upcoming Products');

define('TABLE_HEADING_DATE_EXPECTED', 'Date Expected');

if ( ($category_depth == 'products') || (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) ) {

? define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Let's See What We Have Here');

? define('TABLE_HEADING_IMAGE', '');

? define('TABLE_HEADING_MODEL', 'Model');

? define('TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCTS', 'Product Name');

? define('TABLE_HEADING_MANUFACTURER', 'Manufacturer');

? define('TABLE_HEADING_QUANTITY', 'Quantity');

? define('TABLE_HEADING_PRICE', 'Price');

? define('TABLE_HEADING_WEIGHT', 'Weight');

? define('TABLE_HEADING_BUY_NOW', 'Buy Now');

? define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS', 'There are no products to list in this category.');

? define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS2', 'There is no product available from this manufacturer.');

? define('TEXT_NUMBER_OF_PRODUCTS', 'Number of Products: ');

? define('TEXT_SHOW', '<b>Show:</b>');

? define('TEXT_BUY', 'Buy 1 '');

? define('TEXT_NOW', '' now');

? define('TEXT_ALL_CATEGORIES', 'All Categories');

? define('TEXT_ALL_MANUFACTURERS', 'All Manufacturers');

} elseif ($category_depth == 'top') {

? define('HEADING_TITLE', 'What's New Here?');

} elseif ($category_depth == 'nested') {

? define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Categories');

}

?>

The error is get is:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/shebani/public_html/estore/catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php on line 13

line 13???? there isnt any ' on line 13... whats wrong????

Maimunah,

Like I said start with a "fresh", new copy (download it if you have to) of the index.php. Then use your editor(not osCommerce) to change locally and ftp it to the site. There are too many errors in the one you have posted.

Tom

Archived