• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

From local to online - how to do it?

Ken Wood

Hello all!

I`ve been searching quite some time for a guideline how to move the shop

I had until now only been developing locally on my pc into the web.

I`m sure there have been a many wise advices spread over the threads but

have not found the ultimate answer that fits for newbies. Could anybody be

so kind to point it out if he/she knows where?

So far I have uploaded all my catalogue files to the webspace by WS-FTP

but don`t know if that will do (I still cannot really check what is "there" because

I wait for my hoster to solve the "FATAL ERROR: register_globals is disabled in php.ini,

please enable it!" problem for me.) Maybe that was wrong already - can it actually be

done like this or do I have to have a fresh web-based installment that I then will

replace file-wise with my modified parts?

The other task that I yet have to do is the uploading of the database, but I have

not found a way to do so in PHPMyAdmin. I guess you use the "dump" function for

it (really, this is all new to me, but you gotta start somewhere someday, right?).

While I did find a description for this process it seems not fit my version (2.2.6)

that I have locally. Maybe there is a great misconception here as well as I

expect to use the PHPMyAdmin in the same fashion as WS-FTP but that is not the way

to do it - or is it?

The other way I thought would be possible is through the Admin section: make a

safety copy of the db, upload the whole catalog to the web, enter Admin (which I

cannot do either - the stupid php.ini again) and "restore" the db online.

Can anybody give me a hint if and in how far I am on the right track (or totally off)?

Another step I would like to take once all this is accomplished is looking for a way

of "syncing" the online-version with the version I still plan to further work on locally.

Is there a function or programm for it that makes it all so easy?

Thanks a lot!

Ken

Hello all!

I`ve been searching quite some time for a guideline how to move the shop

I had until now only been developing locally on my pc into the web.

I`m sure there have been a many wise advices spread over the threads but

have not found the ultimate answer that fits for newbies. Could anybody be

so kind to point it out if he/she knows where?

So far I have uploaded all my catalogue files to the webspace by WS-FTP

but don`t know if that will do (I still cannot really check what is "there" because

I wait for my hoster to solve the "FATAL ERROR: register_globals is disabled in php.ini,

please enable it!" problem for me.) Maybe that was wrong already - can it actually be

done like this or do I have to have a fresh web-based installment that I then will

replace file-wise with my modified parts?

The other task that I yet have to do is the uploading of the database, but I have

not found a way to do so in PHPMyAdmin. I guess you use the "dump" function for

it (really, this is all new to me, but you gotta start somewhere someday, right?).

While I did find a description for this process it seems not fit my version (2.2.6)

that I have locally. Maybe there is a great misconception here as well as I

expect to use the PHPMyAdmin in the same fashion as WS-FTP but that is not the way

to do it - or is it?

The other way I thought would be possible is through the Admin section: make a

safety copy of the db, upload the whole catalog to the web, enter Admin (which I

cannot do either - the stupid php.ini again) and "restore" the db online.

Can anybody give me a hint if and in how far I am on the right track (or totally off)?

Another step I would like to take once all this is accomplished is looking for a way

of "syncing" the online-version with the version I still plan to further work on locally.

Is there a function or programm for it that makes it all so easy?

Thanks a lot!

Ken

Depending on similarity of infrastructure (php, mysql) between your local server and the web server this is what you need to do

1) FTP your files as you have done - you do not need to re-install osC on the web server.

2) Make sure you chmod the configure.php files and you password protect the admin directory (which you should rename to something other than admin)

3) check your configure.php files that they are still correct for paths

4) create an empty db and allocate an user to it and re-confirm your configure.php files have the correct connection string to this database

5) export the db structure and data from your local machine using phpmyadmin

6) log into your web server and run the sql from the export in 5 above into the db you created in 4 above

7) test, test, test

hth

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

Thanks Charles for the quick reply!

Depending on similarity of infrastructure (php, mysql) between your local server and the web server this is what you need to do

1 FTP your files as you have done - you do not need to re-install osC on the web server.

Done.

2) Make sure you chmod the configure.php files and you password protect the admin directory (which you should rename to something other than admin)

No idea how to do this but I`m sure I`ll find it somewhere in the site/forums.

3) check your configure.php files that they are still correct for paths

Again, no idea, but I will look first then ask if I don`t find it.

4) create an empty db and allocate an user to it and re-confirm your configure.php files have the correct connection string to this database

I assume (!) I already HAVE an empty db, my hoster told me the name of a db

that he set up for me so that?s gotta be the one. I have no idea how to check

if and where it is, I tried to enter the acess-data into WS-FTP to look "into it", but

to no avail. I guess I need to use the phpMyAdmin tool for all this but do not find

a place to enter my acess-data here (be it for "looking into it" or uploading/

modifying) there. Do I need a different tool? Allocate a user... do I do this by the

online admin-screen? And I wouldn`t be able to recognize the a "correct connection

string" if it would be standing right in front of me.

5) export the db structure and data from your local machine using phpmyadmin

Using the "dump"-function? With which settings?

6) log into your web server and run the sql from the export in 5 above into the db you created in 4 above

I`d love to. Using the admin-screen? And again, I don`t see a place where to tell

either the admin-screen or the PhpMyAdmin the web-adress of the db and the

access-data.

Oh dear.... bear with me.... I`m such a newbie. I`m willing to read everything

that I can find in the documentations and forums and think hard about it but feel

I cannot connect the information that I gather properly...

Have a nice Sunday!

Ken

PS I`d also like to suggest a "sticky" thread for newbies dealing with those

"non-expert" questions on top of the forum.

Archived