• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

NEW LIVE SITE!!! PLEASE COMMENT!

Hello community!

Thank you all for your contributions and time. I have got the essentials running and have the webiste live!

Please take a look and leave feedback, either here or on the site.

www.2dogrc.com

Mark

Good looking site for what you are selling, what hit me is that the main screen, lead in, looked really bad in contrast to the main site, what about dumping the "Click Here" and go right to your site?

The way of life, and the way we work for you.

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="1;url=http://2dogrc.com/ecommerce/os/catalog/">

The site looks nice, I like your template....except....

Why so many folders...I agree with the comment above, get rid of that intro page.

Also, see if you can get a new header graphic. You have decent template, but the header graphics doesn't look seamless with it. Looks sloppy and tacky...

Also, definitely install the On the Fly Thumbnail mod if possible. Your page is a whopper...395kb, 350kb in images...

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2226

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Take 2 steps out of your checkout process and streamline your site, and its easy!

Get rid of the "Welcome Please Sign In" Page, this page stops people in their tracks and will hurt your sales.

Use this to take the "Welcome Please Sign In" Page and the "Account Created Success" Page out of your checkout process but still collect all their info and create an account or to "Sign In" if they already have an account.

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...60entry598660

Check it out :thumbsup:

My Favorite Quote from a movie.

Question: How do you know women sooo well?

Answer: I think of a man, then take away reason and accountability.

I was informed that the link didn;t work so here are the instructions.

Open up checkout_payment.php and find:

// if the customer is not logged on, redirect them to the login page

if (!tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) {

$navigation->set_snapshot();

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGIN, '', 'SSL'));

}

Change it to:

// if the customer is not logged on, redirect them to the login page

if (!tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) {

$navigation->set_snapshot();

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL'));

}

Then:

In checkout_shipping.php change:

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGIN, '', 'SSL'));

To:

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL'));

and if you want to get rid of the "Account Created Success" window that pops up after they create their account do this:

In create_account.php

Change

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT_SUCCESS, '', 'SSL'));

to

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL'));

this will remove the thank you message after account creation to speed up checkout. You no longer see create_account_success.php, it goes right to shipping.

With this process you have just removed 2 steps from the lengthy cart process, and removed the Dreaded "Become a Member" Page that scares of potential customers, and you still get them to sign in and get them to create the account.

Is this great or what?

My Favorite Quote from a movie.

Question: How do you know women sooo well?

Answer: I think of a man, then take away reason and accountability.

Thanx alot for the input!!! I thought that fromt page would have to go...i designed it! I amworking on the banner. I have an add up at the local college for someone to help design a good header...my skills are limited. I have changed the login information and added that met tag refresh thingy also! I really like this open source thing, better customer support then any paid service!

I am working on my pictures now. My web hosting company had a bad script running and could not get in for a whole day!!! I hope I didn't lscare too many people away.

About the catalogs...I have a very braod cataegory of items, do you think t would better to group more together? Also, I am thinking about extendng the width of the page to reduce scrolling, but maybe the thunbnails will help.

Thanx for all the advice!

mark

2dogrc!

• 4 weeks later...

I have customized the size alot more!! Looking for advice on anything I may have missed, or still need to make this site better!

I have customized the size alot more!!  Looking for advice on anything I may have missed, or still need to make this site better!

I like it! I like the way the middle part looks like it is hovering over whatever surface the side stuff is on, looks cool. Here are a few things I would do:

Get rid of "Welcome Guest! Would you like to..." all together.

put a few pics on the main page. People like pictures. have a larger pic of your logo maybe, or a pic of someone flying a plane or something.

GET RID OF CAPSLOCK H1 TEXT. It looks tacky, and if you don't read it you might think someone is warning you to leave the website fast... Instead use a graphic to get people's attention.

Don't really need a register and a my account info in the header. It's being redundant. And repetitive too. :P How I did it on my site (maybe you can think of something better) is have a link to Sign In or Register. Then once they are signed in, then show them the My Account button.

It is nice that you are established on ebay. I would have never known except I noticed the link and I read to see what the link was for. Have a pic or something that grabs peoples attention to tell them about the ebay thing. Maybe have the e-bay script to show your current live ratting and the little graphic for power seller or something... I've seen it done on other sites so I assume it's able to be done some how...

My eyes can't stay open right now, if I remember this in the morning I will look at it some more.

Overall a great site!

The site looks good. I like the look of the boxes alot.

I think you should make som of the text smaller on the frontpage though.

Personally I think it looks bad with text that large anyware on a website.

Otherwise a good overall look. :thumbsup:

Zipper

I hope you don't mind me pointing out that there are quite a few spelling/grammatical mistakes which might be distracting to your customers.

looks ok, A small modification of the free template from vr2 in the contrib section, too big text in the middle....

First off, let me say that the site is looking pretty good. The text " JUST IN NEW INVENTORY!! TO MANY ITEMS TO PICTURE THEM ALL." Just looks cheap and amature. You need to get rid of it or tone it down a bit. You can't force people to read just by making the text bigger. It tends to irritate. I would just clean it up with some nice graphics that communincate the point without forcing the user to read your text.

I like what you have done with the infobox headers. Gradients really add a lot of depth to a site.

I think that your header graphic is a bit too big. Right now it's over 100K which could probably be reduced quite a bit without too much quality loss.

For your banner navigation, you may want to think about preloading your rollovers. There is a slight delay, but that's not really a big deal. You just loose some of the cool rollover effect that you were trying to achieve. Also, the font on that navigation looks a little bit sloppy, but that's just my opinion.

I would recommend installing the country-state selector contrib. It makes it so that United States is the currently selected country, and the state list is already populated. It's a pretty easy install too.

I would also get rid of the newsletter checkbox. I don't think there is anyone out there that will actually check it, and it kinda gives the impression that your going to spam my inbox.

Another thing about the my account page, you should probably have the Post Code say Zip Code, and put it after the city and state. People tend to think of their address as the zip code being the last thing.

What! I only get the option of priority mail. No just kidding, I guess thats OK.

Well anyway, I hope that is some constructive advice. I think that I'm acutally going to buy one of the Wild Wheels RC Helicopter's. I have been wanting to buy a R/C helicopter, but I keep getting told that there really hard to fly. That one looks like a lot of fun to fly around my apartment and chase my cat with. Do you know how hard it is to fly it?

Well, keep up the good work. You'll probably be getting a order from me in the next day or two.

osCommerce is a great piece of software with wonderful contributions.

Spend some time in the contribution area. There are a lot of gems there.

thanx for all the advice! I really appreciate the help. I have used most of yur constructive ideas. Most of the images were done for me, at a very inexpensive price and I too am pleased with the work.

I only offer priority for a couple of reasons. Most of my clients want there parts of planes quick, so they get get flying...

Also priority is what mot other similar websites offer.

2dogrc

Archived