• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

MySQL question

I want to add a string to every record in the products_description column of the products_description table.

existing string = "Buy this CD"

new string = "Buy this CD today and get a free lobotomy"

Is there a simple way to do this using phpmyadmin and UPDATE?

I want to add a string to every record in the products_description column of the products_description table.

existing string = "Buy this CD"

new string = "Buy this CD today and get a free lobotomy"

Is there a simple way to do this using phpmyadmin and UPDATE?

sure, you could do:

update table set fieldx = 'Buy this CD today and get a free lobotomy' where fieldx = 'Buy this CD'

Treasurer MFC

sure, you could do:

update table set fieldx = 'Buy this CD today and get a free lobotomy' where fieldx = 'Buy this CD'

The string in each field is different so I can't do a straight WHERE query.

You are ambiguous in your requirement then.

Either the string is "Buy this CD" or it isn't. Please elaborate if you want a solution.

Aye, OK.

The existing string in products_description is a description of whichever CD is being described.

I want to add at the bottom of every product listing description, a wee bit of sales blurb such as "Buy this or we'll kick your granny".

So, I can use a text editor, but with 7,500 items, I'm not 200% confident that a global search and insert is the answer.

I'd like to be able to do an UPDATE products_listing and keep the current string but add the "Buy this or we'll kick your granny" string to it.

Any ideas?

UPDATE products_description SET products_description=CONCAT(products_description, '<br><br>your new text');

you can change the <br><br> to whatever html you like - eg add <strong><center> to make it bold and centered - depends.

Don't forget the closing tags as well after "your new text" if you use tags that require closing, like </strong> and </center>

Before you do a global update like this - please test it first on a single product, eg:

UPDATE products_description SET products_description=CONCAT(products_description, '<br><br>your new text') WHERE products_id=XXX

where XXX is the ID of your test product.

It's a lot easier to add text to fields using SQL than it is to strip it if you mess up.

Archived