• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

HELP ME!!!!! I am so confused!

jmflemin

Hello anyone. I am new to OS Commerce and would love to be able to use it but I am afraid that I do not possess the knowledge to do so. Do I have to know html to use OS Commerce? I have attempted to set up my store and the products page and such is quite simple but how the heck do I change the welcome page? Should I just try another venue? Can someone please provide some tutilage as to how to get "administrative permission" for me to edit pages such as welcome page, shipping info, etc. I promise I am an intelligent person and I may be missing something simple, I just need the direction, or the right direction to get me going. I love the OS Commercce store possibility instead of having to use Paypal. Also for the "SSL", what do I do to have a secure one of these?

Thanks to whoever can shed some light :'(

Jennifer

P.S. I would hate to give up because I am not a quitter but I have the feeling I may need more education to get involved with this.....Am I right about this feeling?

Hello anyone. I am new to OS Commerce and would love to be able to use it but I am afraid that I do not possess the knowledge to do so. Do I have to know html to use OS Commerce? I have attempted to set up my store and the products page and such is quite simple but how the heck do I change the welcome page? Should I just try another venue? Can someone please provide some tutilage as to how to get "administrative permission" for me to edit pages such as welcome page, shipping info, etc. I promise I am an intelligent person and I may be missing something simple, I just need the direction, or the right direction to get me going. I love the OS Commercce store possibility instead of having to use Paypal. Also for the "SSL", what do I do to have a secure one of these?

Thanks to whoever can shed some light :'(

Jennifer

P.S. I would hate to give up because I am not a quitter but I have the feeling I may need more education to get involved with this.....Am I right about this feeling?

Hi Jennifer

I love your attitude - so here is some advice

You have a learning curve - but with help from this forum - lots of hard work and Time and you will get there

You need a smattering of html, some php, a little SQL to make this work

There are many , many sites out there that use stock (i.e unchanged osC ) and make a good income from it - so you do not need to change the stock product dramatically - but without changing it your task to sell becomes very much more difficult unless you have a very niche product AND a superb marketing plan.

Here would be my game plan if I was in your shoes

1) Decide on the product line(s) and the business vision and strategy

2) decide if I want to spend some time (1 - 3 months) learning some html, PHP , SQL etc

3) if the answer to 2 is no then do I have the cash to pay a developer to translate my vision into reality - if no - Stop

4) if 2 and 3 are possibilities - then get into gear and START - this is ALWAYS without a doubt the hardest step - like a shoe co once said just do it - and the more you do the easier \ less daunting it becomes

hth

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

Hi Jennifer,

You're not the only one, I started setting up my store last week and, while it's still a "work in progress" it's getting there.

This was the first time I had ever used php, and my knowledge of html is limited to say the least lol. Your most important asset is this forum, answers to most questions can be found, it just takes time to find them.

In answer to your question, look (assuming you haven't changed the directory structure at all) in /catalog/includes/languges/english/index.php for the line that reads

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'it says some stuff here');

You can change 'it says some stuff here' to read whatever you want the welcome page to say. Make sure you leave the ' in place and don't use any special characters i.e. ' or ; in the text itself

Hope that helps, or at least sets you on the right trail.

Good luck,

Steve

ps,don't use the file edtor in the admin control panel, it will cause errors. Use notepad or another text editor instead.

Archived