• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Practical use

rz22g

I have a photography business and was attempting to set up oscommerce for clients to order prints but I'm wondering if oscommerce would practical for this. I had no problem creating catergories, which was "client proofs" and then sub caterories for example "clients name". In the subcategory I inserted images as products.

Fine so far but this is where my problem starts. Each image has several options such as color, b/w, sepi and a number of print size options. I created product options such as size (wallet, 5x7, 8x10, so on..) and tone (color, bw, sepia). Unless I am doing this incorrectly, I have to go in and add each of these options for each image. For example choose product001 in the first dropdown, then the size option, then the size then the price and finally add it. Do that for 20 images or so with each image having 10 size options and 3 tone options and thats very very time consuming, especially over modem connection but not much better over broadband. Another problem I found is even doing it the way I am now, the options in the dropdown menu of the products does not stay the same. The list may start with 5x7 and end with 8x10 in one image but then be completely different on the next even though I added the options in the same order.

Is there not a way to make a default set of options/attributes that will automatically apply to each image / product? Even a way to manually edit the necessary file that contains these products would be better. Where would I locate the file that contains my products so I could possibly go in and edit with a text editor?

Any help appreciated. The steps Im taking now are just way to much for pictures that get ordered once or twice and then removed from inventory.

Found the contribution that fixes the options sort order so help is not longer needed on that part.

Still need help with adding adding a default set of options to products instead of adding each option manually for each product.

attribute sets contribution should help you out

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

There are apps written SPECIFICALLY for selling photos - why on earth would you want to use such a generic cart for something with so many caviates?

For the $50 odd dollars you could have been up and running for the time you have already spent trying to find solutions.

Dont get me wrong - osC is a great app - but when it makes sense to use something else... use it?

There are apps written SPECIFICALLY for selling photos - why on earth would you want to use such a generic cart for something with so many caviates?

For the $50 odd dollars you could have been up and running for the time you have already spent trying to find solutions.

Dont get me wrong - osC is a great app - but when it makes sense to use something else... use it?

My php abilities are very limited. I was blown away when I opened the instructions for the attribute sets contribution. I have no idea what do to. Other than this attribute problem, the osc is setup and working and it was free from my host. Also to me $50 is $50. I wouldn't mind spending that at all but if I got it and ran into similar issues that would be like just throwing $50 away.

If you can suggest an alternative, other than the one in the message you sent, please let me know. The one in the message required plugins and looked a little to involved for the type of clients I deal with. Something straight forward with pictures and the options right next to it, kind of like the products in osc.

Archived