• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Link from Product Descriptio to other Product

HopeL

I've searched around but having trouble locating an existing thread on this. As you can tell, I'm a newbie here. :blink: I'm trying add a link in the product descption to another product (i.e.; Product2 might also work for you!) but I can't figure out how to do so. It's probably really simple but not only am I an osCommerce newbie but a PHP newbie as well. I am also trying to link to the osCommerce contact_us.php page from the product description but each time I try, it seems to bounce the user out of the session and they have to log in again defeating the purpose. Would appreciate some help or a link to existing threads.

Thanks in advance!

Hope

I'm trying add a link in the product descption to another product (i.e.; Product2 might also work for you!) but I can't figure out how to do so.

Try the

Master Products contrib. You define Master and Slave relationships in admin.

I have it installed on gnpcrescendo.com. e.g. This Product Here

Thanks so much, John and Melanie! So is there no way to do this with a hard-coded link from within the product description? Is it because it needs a session id attached or something? I will look into the contribution but I need to let the site owner know that this is something that can't be done from the description text itself. I'm assuming a "contact us" link from the product description would also not work then... correct?

Thanks again!

Hope

Try the

Master Products contrib. You define Master and Slave relationships in admin.

I have it installed on gnpcrescendo.com. e.g. This Product Here

Would someone please confirm if there's no way to hard code a link into the product description that links to another product or contact us page without bumping people out to the login page? I realize my question isn't urgent compared to some but we are holding up adding product descriptions to the catalog while waiting for an answer on this. Would really appreciate it if someone would help!

Also, I did tell the site owner about the contributions but they would prefer to use a link from the product description if at all possible.

Thanks so much!

Hope

So is there no way to do this with a hard-coded link from within the product description? Is it because it needs a session id attached or something?  I will look into the contribution but I need to let the site owner know that this is something that can't be done from the description text itself. I'm assuming a "contact us" link from the product description would also not work then... correct?

Would someone please confirm if there's no way to hard code a link into the product description that links to another product or contact us page without bumping people out to the login page?  I realize my question isn't urgent compared to some but we are holding up adding product descriptions to the catalog while waiting for an answer on this. Would really appreciate it if someone would help!

Also, I did tell the site owner about the contributions but they would prefer to use a link from the product description if at all possible.

Thanks so much!

Hope

Yes you can hardcode. Did you try it? What's the question?

Great. First of all, visitors use a login to access the catalog. The question is - I am trying to link from a product's description to another product. For instance, customer is looking at product description for product 1a and there's a link to product 1b from there. How would I do that. When I add the link like this:

<a href="http://domain.com/catalog/product_info.php?p=my-2-book-set&products_id=60>Try this product</a>
or this: <a href="product_info.php?p=my-2-book-set&products_id=60>Try this product</a>

it doesn't work. Instead of jumping to that product - it will pop the user out of the catalog and back to the login page. (I assumed that was due to session ids.) Same thing if I try to hard code a link to the contact_us.php page - sends the user back out to the login page. I don't know PHP so I'm at a loss there but if there's some magic code/snippet/process, (I learn quickly!) I could work on a solution. At this point, I have no idea where to start so any help would be most appreciated!

Hope

Yes you can hardcode. Did you try it? What's the question?

I used a hard link in THIS product page... entered through admin in the usual fashion... looks like this...

This album, along with the original Volume I (now out of print) are available together on one CD here - <a class="obviouslinks" href="product_info.php?cPath=39&products_id=116">GNP 2116 The Best of Acker Bilk</a>
<p>
<b>Side One:</b>
<p>
etc etc.....

If your links are coded correctly, I'm not sure what the problem is, sorry.

Okay. But your customers don't need to log in first. With the site I'm working on, they do. Otherwise, I don't think I'd have a problem. So then I guess my initial assumption still stands - it has to do with the session ids. Correct?

I used a hard link in THIS product page... entered through admin in the usual fashion... looks like this...

This album, along with the original Volume I (now out of print) are available together on one CD here - <a class="obviouslinks" href="product_info.php?cPath=39&products_id=116">GNP 2116 The Best of Acker Bilk</a>
<p>
<b>Side One:</b>
<p>
etc etc.....

If your links are coded correctly, I'm not sure what the problem is, sorry.

Archived