• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Customer orders not updating using paypal

Paul Wilkerson

I'm new to all this so please bear with me. My site was running fine, but now when a customer puts an order in using paypal as the payment, the site does not register the order. No details of the order at all. The only notification I get is from Paypal saying that a payment has been made.

Can anyone help please?

This problem comes from the customer not clicking on the "Return to Merchant" buttin in the checkout process.

There are a few things you can do.

First, make sure that your PayPal settings are set to automatically return to your site. This only works with existing PayPal customers, though, not new customers nor customers that pay without signing up for a PayPal id.

Second is install a PayPal IPN contribution. I've been watching the support threads, and there seem to be some issues with this, but there are people there trying to get it all worked out.

Third, what I did was alter the paypal.php file to transfer the cart contents to paypal as a cart, so the PayPal notification has all the information on the order, quantity and product ordered, options (though PayPal only allows for 2 options). This isn't a workable solution if you need to track inventory on your site, as it does not remove the sold item from being available, but it was a very simple solution, and suits my needs very well.

I have more to add here.

The fix we implemented was to close the order before passing the user to PayPal. The rationale was that it's better to have an order details without payment than to look incompetent by having payment without order details.

This required significant modification to the checkout code, but it also revealed a second problem.

Even users who click "return to merchant" do not always get returned to the order completion screen. Somehow, the osCsid on the URL is lost between paypal and osC, because the user is redirected to the osC login screen. This is probably why so many order details get lost with PayPal.

• 3 months later...

There are a few things you can do.

First, make sure that your PayPal settings are set to automatically return to your site. This only works with existing PayPal customers, though, not new customers nor customers that pay without signing up for a PayPal id.

</quote>

I have gone to the paypal site and looked for that which you mention above... I did not find it. Can you please elaborate on what and where the settings are located?

Third, what I did was alter the paypal.php file to transfer the cart contents to paypal as a cart, so the PayPal notification has all the information on the order, quantity and product ordered, options (though PayPal only allows for 2 options). This isn't a workable solution if you need to track inventory on your site, as it does not remove the sold item from being available, but it was a very simple solution, and suits my needs very well.

This sounds like it will suit my clients needs as well. Has this modification been posted anywhere? ...or made into a contribution?

Thanks!

Archived