• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

hands-on building ecom with oscommerce

sak7180

I'm really interested in oscommerce.

I guess what i looking for is a dummy project that walks you through an ecommerce site on oscommerce from scratch, i mean from install, configure to email dummy users about their orders, etc.

This would be an ideal way for me to get started. like I did when i followed dreamweaver ecommerce example from scratch, i learned a lot like that.

I hope someone can point me to right direction to get me started hands-on. Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Best way to dummy test run osCommerce is to install an Apache web server on your own computer. You can download an all-in-one programme called XAMPP at http://www.apachefriends.org/en

The install is very easy and includes apache, php, mysql, phpmyadmin - all you'll need.

Once you've done that then go to the Knowledge Base, link via Documentation at the top of this page, and read the Installation Guidelines.

XAMPP uses php5, which creates one small problem for osCommerce, but this is a simple edit and easily overcome.

If you wish to use e-mail with a local install of osCommerce you'll also have to install a local mail server on your 'puter, such as PostCast. Just make sure to set it so that it only operates when you launch it yourself - you don't want an open mail server connection to the internet!

Vger

Thanks for feedback. I will try that out on my desktop, but on my laptop all these are already running on windows 2000 professional.

And was successfull in loading up oscommerce catalog to a certain extend but not when clicking on admin.

Also can you load more than one ecommerce site from localhost.

And i was reading on post-installation, how do you reset permissions on windows. Usin php5, mysql-4.0.24 and apache 2.0.51, is that compatible with oscommerce or there may be some compatibility problem.

Cheers. Thanks.

Best way to dummy test run osCommerce is to install an Apache web server on your own computer.  You can download an all-in-one programme called XAMPP at http://www.apachefriends.org/en

The install is very easy and includes apache, php, mysql, phpmyadmin - all you'll need.

Once you've done that then go to the Knowledge Base, link via Documentation at the top of this page, and read the Installation Guidelines.

XAMPP uses php5, which creates one small problem for osCommerce, but this is a simple edit and easily overcome.

If you wish to use e-mail with a local install of osCommerce you'll also have to install a local mail server on your 'puter, such as PostCast.  Just make sure to set it so that it only operates when you launch it yourself - you don't want an open mail server connection to the internet!

Vger

Archived