• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Product Description 1.3

it's ok... I worked it out myself.

Well done!!

I missed your ealier post, its this new forum software, if you did'nt create a thread and make lots of posts, threads you've replied to quickly disappear from your profile, so replies get easily missed.

U can subscribe, but there are limits & they still get dropped after a month, so not much help either, oh well cool.gif

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have v.2.2 installedon RC2a with SPPC, Additional Images v2.1.1, and some others. It works great on my new products page. I have products list in columns and didnt want a desc so I didnt add it to that file. I need short description in shopping cart! I have installed the instructions from 2005 post #67. no worky >_<

any ideas? my store goes online saturday and i need this to work.

carie

I have v.2.2 installedon RC2a with SPPC, Additional Images v2.1.1, and some others. It works great on my new products page. I have products list in columns and didnt want a desc so I didnt add it to that file. I need short description in shopping cart! I have installed the instructions from 2005 post #67. no worky pinch.gif

any ideas? my store goes online saturday and i need this to work.

carie

Why not the latest?

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Why not the latest?

the latest what?

product short description v2.2.1 - i dont have featured items

Product Description 1.3 - didnt find it till after the other was in,

there is no mention of another version as seperate contribution,

and i liked the seperate description rather than truncated version

instructions for entering in cart - those were the latest i found

carie

Edited by carie

the latest what?

product short description v2.2.1 - i dont have featured items

Product Description 1.3 - didnt find it till after the other was in,

there is no mention of another version as seperate contribution,

and i liked the seperate description rather than truncated version

instructions for entering in cart - those were the latest i found

carie

Sorry, when u posted in this thread I assumed it was about the add-on this thread is for, not Additional Images v2.1.1 or product short description v2.2.1 or whatever you have.

Hijacking threads is v bad etiquette

Sam

Contributions:

Sorry, when u posted in this thread I assumed it was about the add-on this thread is for, not Additional Images v2.1.1 or product short description v2.2.1 or whatever you have.

Hijacking threads is v bad etiquette

this was taken from the osc contribution

Products Short Description

This will allow you to enter a short description of your products that can be viewed by your customers through the listing pages on OSC.

It will add another feild to your database and your Product Edit page for you to fill in. Works great, you may need to modify the design for your likings, but there are no bugs that i can see yet

Support Thread : http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=145921&st=0&p=595307entry595307

Expand All / Collapse All

Products Short Description v.2.2.1 for Featured Products 20 Jul 2009

SHORT_DESCRIPTION_V2.2-RC2 <---- this is what I installed

so am i to understand by your "Hijacking threads " statement that this is no longer the support thread for this contribution? I included my major addons because they often will affect the answer to the question i am asking.

post # 67 on this thread addresses what i am looking for. that was in 2005. does anyone have the above contribution working in their shopping cart? or has this thread been Hijacked?

carie

OK , I see that contrib does point to this thread, I don't know why though, as this is not the support thread for it!!

This thread is for Product Description 1.3 the add-on with the same title as this thread.

I did contribute to the addon you are useing some time ago, its quite different to this, its been modded since my version though, try asking those that have done the latest updates.

Sam

Contributions:

OK , I see that contrib does point to this thread, I don't know why though, as this is not the support thread for it!!

This thread is for Product Description 1.3 the add-on with the same title as this thread.

I did contribute to the addon you are useing some time ago, its quite different to this, its been modded since my version though, try asking those that have done the latest updates.

this thread is listed on the very first version of that contribution. i would see about getting it removed. there are many posts on this thread concerning that one and it is really confusing. i am going to add to my last post ,i left something out. then im gone.

carie

for short description in shopping cart.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,3123

SHORT_DESCRIPTION_V2.2-RC2 with this additional download

"put short desc in cart 25 Feb 2008" works. (even with sppc)

carie

I forgot this part. from a former post.

Here is what you need to do. This is with the branched version of the short description that has the short_desc field in the products table.

1. Modify the catalog\includes\classes\shopping_cart.php

In function get_products() there is a $products_array[] that returns all fields for manipulation. Add in this array a line like this:

'short_desc' => $products['short_desc'],

In my case I have it below the products name.

2. Modify the catalog\shopping_cart.php

Locate this code

$products_name = '<table border="0" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2">' . ' <tr>' . ' <td class="imageFrame" align="center"><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $products[$i]['id']) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $products[$i]['image'], $products[$i]['name'], SMALL_IMAGE_WIDTH, SMALL_IMAGE_HEIGHT) . '</a></td>' . ' <td class="productListing-data" valign="top"><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $products[$i]['id']) . '"><b>' . $products[$i]['name'] . '</b></a>';

and replace it with this code

$products_name = '<table border="0" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2">' . ' <tr>' . ' <td class="imageFrame" align="center"><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $products[$i]['id']) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $products[$i]['image'], $products[$i]['name'], SMALL_IMAGE_WIDTH, SMALL_IMAGE_HEIGHT) . '</a></td>' . ' <td class="productListing-data" valign="top"><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $products[$i]['id']) . '"><b>' . $products[$i]['name'] . '</b></a><br>' . $products[$i]['short_desc'];

*****All I did was to Add the short_desc field at the end in a new line. In case you have other contributions installed just extract the last part of the code only (from the <br> tag) and append it on your custom code.

I forgot this part. from a former post.

Here is what you need to do. This is with the branched version of the short description that has the short_desc field in the products table.

1. Modify the catalog\includes\classes\shopping_cart.php

In function get_products() there is a $products_array[] that returns all fields for manipulation. Add in this array a line like this:

'short_desc' => $products['short_desc'],

In my case I have it below the products name.

2. Modify the catalog\shopping_cart.php

Locate this code

$products_name = '<table border="0" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2">' . ' <tr>' . ' <td class="imageFrame" align="center"><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $products[$i]['id']) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $products[$i]['image'], $products[$i]['name'], SMALL_IMAGE_WIDTH, SMALL_IMAGE_HEIGHT) . '</a></td>' . ' <td class="productListing-data" valign="top"><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $products[$i]['id']) . '"><b>' . $products[$i]['name'] . '</b></a>';

and replace it with this code

$products_name = '<table border="0" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2">' . ' <tr>' . ' <td class="imageFrame" align="center"><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $products[$i]['id']) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $products[$i]['image'], $products[$i]['name'], SMALL_IMAGE_WIDTH, SMALL_IMAGE_HEIGHT) . '</a></td>' . ' <td class="productListing-data" valign="top"><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $products[$i]['id']) . '"><b>' . $products[$i]['name'] . '</b></a><br>' . $products[$i]['short_desc'];

*****All I did was to Add the short_desc field at the end in a new line. In case you have other contributions installed just extract the last part of the code only (from the <br> tag) and append it on your custom code.

OK, thanks for posting your fix thumbsup.gif Interesting you went back to my last version to get it working!! huh.gif

I have asked a mod to remove that confusing link.

Sam

Contributions:

• 1 month later...

Hi. I just made it through the installation. I thought I covered everything, but I guess I messed up somewhere. Can I get some help fixing my site?

I have two errors.

One is in the Admin, under adding a new product, next to "Short Description:"

"Fatal error: Call to undefined function tep_get_products_short_description() in /home/admin/public_html/store/admin/categories.php on line 580"

The other is on the site front-end: http://www.mtvernonclock.com

"Fatal error: Call to a member function add_current_page() on a non-object in /home/admin/public_html/store/includes/application_top.php on line 312"

I'm a bit of a newb, so hopefully somebody can help me out.

One question I had during installation:

Was there a repeated step? I thought I saw this instruction twice:

"*** On line ~408, find ***

$pInfo = new objectInfo($HTTP_POST_VARS);

$products_name = $HTTP_POST_VARS['products_name'];

$products_description = $HTTP_POST_VARS['products_description'];

*** After that, add ***

// BOF: Products Short Description

$products_short_description = $HTTP_POST_VARS['products_short_description'];

// EOF: Products Short Description

At first, I ignored the second, duplicated instruction. But, when it didn't work, I went back and added the

// BOF: Products Short Description

$products_short_description = $HTTP_POST_VARS['products_short_description'];

// EOF: Products Short Description

line again... so it's there twice now.

It doesn't work either way.

Can you specify the exact contrib u have installed, if you've done tim's new version then I`m afraid your stuck as he does not give any support for any of his add-ons, ie don't use any of his if you have trouble installing any! ohmy.gif

Sam

Contributions:

Can you specify the exact contrib u have installed, if you've done tim's new version then I`m afraid your stuck as he does not give any support for any of his add-ons, ie don't use any of his if you have trouble installing any! ohmy.gif

Thanks. I added your addon for the enhanced product descriptions, found out that I needed to add this "short descriptions" one by tim-international.net... Looks like "osCommerce 2.2-RC2a"

looks like the link is addons.oscommerce.com/info/651

Does that help?

If that doesn't work, is there another way that I can add short descriptions to the product listing? I don't need anything fancy.

Thanks. I added your addon for the enhanced product descriptions, found out that I needed to add this "short descriptions" one by tim-international.net... Looks like "osCommerce 2.2-RC2a"

looks like the link is addons.oscommerce.com/info/651

Does that help?

If that doesn't work, is there another way that I can add short descriptions to the product listing? I don't need anything fancy.

Well tim's is largly just a copy of the original, so you could use that instead. http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/3123

Or if a truncated will do http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1743

Sam

Contributions:

• 2 months later...

I loaded your Product_Truncated_Description_v_2 sql into my database, and I see I can no longer use my html code in my product name and description. How do I get that ability back, as I really need it?

• 5 months later...

Nice mod just what I was looking for, at the moment I have Manufacture, Item Image, Weight Name/Description, Buy button. Is there any way to swap the weight for price I tried changing the script but i get loads of 0000 after the price. Any idea?

Craig

Edited by karaokeking

• 4 months later...

Sam I just want to say Your mod Product_Truncated_Description_v_2 worked beautiful and I have a heavy modified store. Very simple install with the bells I needed.

Thank you

Nick

"Do what I'm thinking Not what I said." https:windowanddoorparts.us

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I installed http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/1743/v,22 but can someone help me getting the products_new.php too work with the same style and short description?

I found some other modules but i use this version for a while and dont want to make a short description my self each time (Have over 24.000 products)

Hope for some help,

jasper

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello all,

I'm working with

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6339

I love this add-on it is so simple to install and does exactly what I want, except for one thing.

It displays the product image and then just the price underneath it.

I would like it to display image, product short discription, price.

I've been fiddling with the code for a day and I'm just not experienced enough to make it work.

I'm sure it's simple for someone out there,

Thank you,

PRV

Contribution Code

<?php

/*

$Id: new_products.php 1806 2008-01-11 22:48:15Z hpdl $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2008 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

?>

<!-- new_products //-->

<?php

$info_box_contents = array();

$info_box_contents[] = array('text' => sprintf(TABLE_HEADING_NEW_PRODUCTS, strftime('%B')));

new contentBoxHeading($info_box_contents);

if ( (!isset($new_products_category_id)) || ($new_products_category_id == '0') ) {

$category_query = tep_db_query("select distinct categories_id from ". TABLE_products_TO_CATEGORIES );

$cids = array();

while ($categories = tep_db_fetch_array($category_query)) {

array_push($cids, $categories["categories_id"]);

}

$cid = $cids[rand(0, count($cids) - 1)];

// removed order by p.products_date_added desc

$new_products_query = tep_db_query(

"select p.products_id, p.products_image, p.products_tax_class_id, " .

"if(s.status, s.specials_NEW_products_price, p.products_price) as products_price " .

"from " . TABLE_products . " p left join " . TABLE_SPECIALS . " s on p.products_id = s.products_id " .

", ". TABLE_products_TO_CATEGORIES . " p2c " .

"where p.products_id = p2c.products_id and products_status = '1' and (p2c.categories_id = 54)" .

"order by rand() limit " . MAX_DISPLAY_NEW_PRODUCTS);

} else {

$new_products_query = tep_db_query("select distinct p.products_id, p.products_image, p.products_tax_class_id, if(s.status, s.specials_NEW_products_price, p.products_price) as products_price from " . TABLE_products . " p left join " . TABLE_SPECIALS . " s on p.products_id = s.products_id, " . TABLE_products_TO_CATEGORIES . " p2c, " . TABLE_CATEGORIES . " c where p.products_id = p2c.products_id and p2c.categories_id = c.categories_id and c.parent_id = '" . (int)$new_products_category_id . "' and p.products_status = '1' order by rand() limit " . MAX_DISPLAY_NEW_PRODUCTS);

}

$row = 0;

$col = 0;

$info_box_contents = array();

while ($new_products = tep_db_fetch_array($new_products_query)) {

$info_box_contents[$row][$col] = array('align' => 'center',

'params' => 'class="smallText" width="33%" valign="top"',

'text' => '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $new_products['products_id']) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $new_products['products_image'], $new_products['products_name'], SMALL_IMAGE_WIDTH, SMALL_IMAGE_HEIGHT) . '</a><br><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $new_products['products_id']) . '">' . $new_products['products_name'] . '</a><br>' . $currencies->display_price($new_products['products_price'], tep_get_tax_rate($new_products['products_tax_class_id'])));

$col ++;

if ($col > 2) {

$col = 0;

$row ++;

}

}

new contentBox($info_box_contents);

?>

<!-- new_products_eof //-->

Product Short Description is in different table so i have to call TABLE_PRODUCT_DESCRIPTION but if use i get the Sql Error so please help me how to call the Product Short Description in this contribution.

This Product Short description is from SEO Header Tags contribution

Thanks in advance

Edited by prvhk3

• 2 weeks later...