• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Is Authorize.net the same as PayPal?

Snuggles

Does Authorize.net take credit cards like PayPal does where you don't have to have a merchant account? Is it free like PayPal with just transaction charges only?

Since I can't get PayPal to talk to my shopping cart (I still haven't figured out the IPN thing) I thought maybe I'd try Authorize.net. What do you think?

Does Authorize.net take credit cards like PayPal does where you don't have to have a merchant account?  Is it free like PayPal with just transaction charges only?

Since I can't get PayPal to talk to my shopping cart (I still haven't figured out the IPN thing) I thought maybe I'd try Authorize.net.  What do you think?

60,000,000 paypal accounts says id choose paypal of those 2.

There are 2 Paypal contribs, one recent one by the osc coding team and another which is more advanced. Maybe if you cant get one to work you can try the other.

I have the non osc team coded one and it works fine... but its a real mother to install.

60,000,000 paypal accounts says id choose paypal of those 2.

There are 2 Paypal contribs, one recent one by the osc coding team and another which is more advanced. Maybe if you cant get one to work you can try the other.

I have the non osc team coded one and it works fine... but its a real mother to install.

There are also 60,000,000 people out there that *hate* paypal, or that have never heard of them. The simple fact of the matter is, analytical reasearch on raw logs have proven that a high percentage of lost sales are lost when customers are redirected to a 3rd party site to make payment. And an even higher percentage of lost sales are lost when customers have to endure a longer checkout process (read: more clicks) than they deem appropriate.

All of that beign said, paypal is the easiest payment method to install, and the least expensive to a newbie ecommerce shop.

To answer the OP's question, no, you can not use Authorize.net without a merchant account. But, there are a ton of merchant accounts out there now that will offer free authorize.net setup now, and rates are as low as $30 per month (total, for everything) and 2.25% + .25 per. If you process more than $1000 per month, these rates should be compeditive with paypal.

As for 3rd party solutions like paypal, some others are 2checkout (which I highly discourage you from using, very expensive, poor customer service), propay, and paysystems. All of these are significantly more expensive than paypal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

There are also 60,000,000 people out there that *hate* paypal, or that have never heard of them. The simple fact of the matter is, analytical reasearch on raw logs have proven that a high percentage of lost sales are lost when customers are redirected to a 3rd party site to make payment. And an even higher percentage of lost sales are lost when customers have to endure a longer checkout process (read: more clicks) than they deem appropriate.

All of that beign said, paypal is the easiest payment method to install, and the least expensive to a newbie ecommerce shop.

To answer the OP's question, no, you can not use Authorize.net without a merchant account. But, there are a ton of merchant accounts out there now that will offer free authorize.net setup now, and rates are as low as $30 per month (total, for everything) and 2.25% + .25 per. If you process more than $1000 per month, these rates should be compeditive with paypal.

As for 3rd party solutions like paypal, some others are 2checkout (which I highly discourage you from using, very expensive, poor customer service), propay, and paysystems. All of these are significantly more expensive than paypal.

Unfortunate but true, anyone know why this is?

Depends where you are too if you are UK based NOCHEX are similar to Paypal, but have a better reputation, especially for sellers as they take chargeback costs!!

Does Authorize.net take credit cards like PayPal does where you don't have to have a merchant account?  Is it free like PayPal with just transaction charges only?

Since I can't get PayPal to talk to my shopping cart (I still haven't figured out the IPN thing) I thought maybe I'd try Authorize.net.  What do you think?

authorize.net is a merchant account and no it's not free. Search the 'net for some of their resellers to get quotes. authorize.net is typically cheaper on a per transaction basis but has monthly fee's attached. but it also looks professional compared to paypal. i wont go into details but if you do have problem orders (i.e. chargebacks, disputes, etc.) paypal does not offer much protection to merchants. Sure there lip service is great but when the rubber meets the road, they plain suck.

I managed to put paypal in an iframe so that users never have to leave your site...still secure, maybe i'll upload it as a contrib.

Its kind of nice because customers never get the impression of leaving your site to pay.

I managed to put paypal in an iframe so that users never have to leave your site...still secure, maybe i'll upload it as a contrib.

Its kind of nice because customers never get the impression of leaving your site to pay.

That's actually a pretty good idea. You might want to show some of hte others how you did that. I don't think I've seen anyone else with that idea.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

you can check it out at http://sportswear.rareglitchgames.com

(dont actually buy anything obviously the store is NOT live) create an account and go thru to the payment screen, the paypal fits in really nice, and notice how it is still secure.

It was like trying to solve one of those insanely hard logic puzzle books :D

The whole site in not in frames, but the whole checkout process is, but i have it setup so that you dont even notice the frames until you get to the paypal screen (cuz paypal make their payment screen non-resizeable)

But the trick was making a checkout_shipping2.php, so that when you click checkout_shipping.php it shows checkout_shipping.php with checkout_shipping2.php in an iframe, and when you click inside the iframe everything following also stays in the frame.

• 1 month later...

My experience is that paypal errors when trying to be used from an iframe, after logging in you get an error message that redirects you to https://www.paypal.com, have you tried to buy anything from your site with paypal in an iframe?

Not to mention putting anything from paypal in a frame violates the user agreement.

The whole site in not in frames, but the whole checkout process is, but i have it setup so that you dont even notice the frames until you get to the paypal screen (cuz paypal make their payment screen non-resizeable)

But the trick was making a checkout_shipping2.php, so that when you click checkout_shipping.php it shows checkout_shipping.php with checkout_shipping2.php in an iframe, and when you click inside the iframe everything following also stays in the frame.

My experience is that paypal errors when trying to be used from an iframe

lol - my experience is that it errors _regardless_

I personally don't think trying to use frames is a good idea (although it's a novel one). Anybody using PayPal will be _expecting_ to be taken to the external PayPal site - if it doesn't work this way, they may well think something dodgy is going on...

Archived