• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Sell digital goods

Nunny

• 2 months later...

Hey hows it going?

I am in the process of selling an ebook on my site, as a pdf file. So I guess its the same as what you are doing... a digit product download.

Well what I did to get this working is to add the ebook to the download folder in the oscommerce install.

then in your store admin, go to catalog, then add the product details etc...

then click on produt attributes. In that page near the bottom there is a drop down box on the left and it should have your product name there, maybe U2 .mp3

Now select Download in one of the two drop down boxes. Fill in what you need. you can edit what those drop down boxes say above.

Now below all this there is somethig that says Filename: here you have to put the exact filename as the name of the mp3 in the Download folder. Limit the amount of times people can access. I suggest 2-3 times incase they make a mistake/drop connection etc...

I hope you get the idea from this!!

Regards,

Kev

• 7 months later...
Hey hows it going?

I am in the process of selling an ebook on my site, as a pdf file. So I guess its the same as what you are doing... a digit product download.

Well what I did to get this working is to add the ebook to the download folder in the oscommerce install.

then in your store admin, go to catalog, then add the product details etc...

then click on produt attributes. In that page near the bottom there is a drop down box on the left and it should have your product name there, maybe U2 .mp3

Now select Download in one of the two drop down boxes. Fill in what you need. you can edit what those drop down boxes say above.

Now below all this there is somethig that says Filename: here you have to put the exact filename as the name of the mp3 in the Download folder. Limit the amount of times people can access. I suggest 2-3 times incase they make a mistake/drop connection etc...

I hope you get the idea from this!!

Regards,

Kev

helpful tutorial.

tnx mate

• 2 weeks later...
me either .. i could really do with a hand on this....

in your admin.. under the "Catalog" you should see a link that says "Product Attributes" (or maybe just Attributes... i don't rmember off hand)

but it's there....

My Contribution

Music Download Store Template

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4275

in your admin.. under the "Catalog" you should see a link that says "Product Attributes" (or maybe just Attributes... i don't rmember off hand)

but it's there....

ok .. got it working .. but... i havnt installed a payment method other than COD at the minute .. is there any way to test this with COD? doesnt seem to give me the option..

Thnx

ok .. got it working .. but... i havnt installed a payment method other than COD at the minute .. is there any way to test this with COD? doesnt seem to give me the option..

Thnx

I could be wrong but...

not that I know of.... not with COD...

My Contribution

I set up a dummy product 999 that was physical, not virtual (download attribute) so I could check out via COD. The shopping cart payment system will disallow COD method if all products in cart are virtual only. (makes sense, right? no money, no download) You have to add at least one physical item to the cart for the COD payment selection to show up.

I keep my 999 product's status "out of stock" unless I need it for testing.

Toward Continued Success - - > Carol Hawkey - - > KidsLearnToSew.com - - > Wyoming, USA

Mods Installed - - > Authnet AIM2 - Bundled Products 1.4 - Fancier Invoice 6.1 - Email_HTML_Order_Link_Fixed - Header Tags Controller - Login aLa Amazon - JustOneAttribute - Article Manager - SPPC w/PB - spiders.txt - Dangling Carrot/Olive - Printable Catalog - CCGV(trad)

Planned Mods - - > Purchase Without Account - USPS Label - Ultimate SEO

Hi, I should open (for a customer) a site where sell music. Legally. So I should use drm-ed wma files. Anyone has some info about integrating them with oscommerce? I have to read all the documentation from Microsoft site (and the idea of using wma instead of widely used mp3 doesn't make me happy!), but if someone has some experience about should be a great help...

Hi, I should open (for a customer) a site where sell music. Legally. So I should use drm-ed wma files. Anyone has some info about integrating them with oscommerce? I have to read all the documentation from Microsoft site (and the idea of using wma instead of widely used mp3 doesn't make me happy!), but if someone has some experience about should be a great help...

I run an online mp3 store. I would ditch the notion of drm-wma files for a few reasons....

1 - Expense - to encode DRM windows files is EXPENSIVE! It's not just something that you can do from your Windows Media Player on your desktop

2. Market - The Apple iPod owns 85% of the portable digital market place worldwide. If your music doesn't play on the iPod, you're losing a huge market which is why Napster and the rest of them haven't made a dent. eMusic which sells mp3's is the number 2 download service ahead of Napster, MSN, Yahoo and the rest

3. Customers - Concentrate on providing your customers with a better experience and music that they want instead of focusing on DRM. People like the ability to do what they want with the music the purchase and there is no DRM that can't be cracked. If someone wants the music, they will get it.

My Contribution

I run an online mp3 store. I would ditch the notion of drm-wma files for a few reasons....

1 - Expense - to encode DRM windows files is EXPENSIVE! It's not just something that you can do from your Windows Media Player on your desktop

2. Market - The Apple iPod owns 85% of the portable digital market place worldwide. If your music doesn't play on the iPod, you're losing a huge market which is why Napster and the rest of them haven't made a dent. eMusic which sells mp3's is the number 2 download service ahead of Napster, MSN, Yahoo and the rest

3. Customers - Concentrate on providing your customers with a better experience and music that they want instead of focusing on DRM. People like the ability to do what they want with the music the purchase and there is no DRM that can't be cracked. If someone wants the music, they will get it.

I agree with you at all, but my customer have to ask the license to sell the music to the producers, so I fear he must sell wma files... anyway I will tell him to write in the letters that drm can be easily cracked or, simply, you can burn a cd and then rip it again in mp3...

What kind of music fo you sell? from majors or indie companies?

I agree with you at all, but my customer have to ask the license to sell the music to the producers, so I fear he must sell wma files... anyway I will tell him to write in the letters that drm can be easily cracked or, simply, you can burn a cd and then rip it again in mp3...

What kind of music fo you sell? from majors or indie companies?

From Indies... but we are starting to get major labels as well..

you can view my site at http://www.musica360.com

My Contribution

Archived