• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Securing The Administration Tool

After installing I have a message that says

It is important to secure the Administration Tool as there is currently no security implementation available.

But it don't tell me how. Is this a threat? I have managed to cure all of the highlighted alerts at the top of the page. I am concerned as to security. I have not come out of the admin and gone back in yet. I am used to a forum system where the first user in gets the admin rights. I have not done any of this, do I have to do any thing to secure the site?

It is important to secure the Administration Tool as there is currently no security implementation available.

This is not a standard osCommerce2.2 MS2 message. Where did you get this package?

This is not a standard osCommerce2.2 MS2 message.  Where did you get this package?

Actually, it is. This is listed in the main content area of the info STANDARD install of 2.2 Milestone 2. It's #3 of the initial instructions when you first log on to yoru newly installed catalog.

You can secure your install by following some excellent instructions found here: osCDox the osC Resource.

Or find some post install info in the osC Knowledge Base here.

Not a standard message within osCommerce application (not on screen) but documentation.

Use Directory Password Protect feature from your host.

You can also generate the code for .htaccess and a password file, then install them manually. Just search the internet for password .htaccess generator :)

But it don't tell me how. Is this a threat? I have managed to cure all of the highlighted alerts at the top of the page. I am concerned as to security. I have not come out of the admin and gone back in yet. I am used to a forum system where the first user in gets the admin rights. I have not done any of this, do I have to do any thing to secure the site?

Well, if you don't secure the admin site, anyone could access it and change your site configuration, your products, your prices, where your payments go -- etc. The easiest and most basic way to secure it is with an http password box (using the URLs and instructions from above).

Archived