• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Product ID

knightrider

hi, I'm a newbie to oscommerce, and don't understand how the product info & ID works.

This is what I want:

ie, if customer clicks on a product picture (a chair), then it would go to url:

http://www.yourdomain.com/product_info.php?products_id=29, which describes the full product information.

But how do I set the ID number for each product to automatically link with product_info.php?

Somebody pls help me!! :(

hi, I'm a newbie to oscommerce, and don't understand how the product info & ID works.

This is what I want:

ie, if customer clicks on a product picture (a chair), then it would go to url:

http://www.yourdomain.com/product_info.php?products_id=29, which describes the full product information.

But how do I set the ID number for each product to automatically link with product_info.php?

Somebody pls help me!!  :(

product_id gets set automatically when you create a product. why dont you create some test products and see for yourself? its pretty self-explanatory.

I've added 2 new products in the "categories/products", but there is no new php file created for their links. Do I have to create the php file (ie. "...../product_info.php?products_id=29" with a html editor (dreamweaver), or is it supposed to create itself on the server?

Same case with links from the content on the left side (in index.php),

ie. "chairs",

"desks"

etc,

they're supposed to link to http://yourdomain.com/index.php?cPath=1,

http://yourdomain.com/index.php?cPath=etc. So do I create from dreamweaver then save as "....cPath=1" or do I do it from admin, or how do I do it?

Thanks for ur help, appreciate it!

Perhaps you're not nesting it properly. You create a category, then click on the category folder to get inside it to add products to that category. Osc will create the pages automatically, on the fly, for you. I'm talking about adding products through the admin panel (yourdomain.com/admin), If you're trying to add products directly into the database, that's possible, and quicker when you know what you're doing, but you need to add data to several tables to get a product, and all it's related info to show up properly.

Jeremy

yeah I did that before. I've only added 3 products & want their ID to be 1, 2, 3. How do I reset the ID to 1, because currently with only 3 products, it's showing the links as ID=28, 29, 30.

What I was saying before though, was that.... -say- a black chair added to "product attributes" with ID=28. But when I actually clicked on the link from index to see product info it goes to ........./index.php?product_id=28, but it shows a description of another product (ID=29).

appreciate all your help, I was totally blind about oscommerce, and still a newbie.

That's ok, we were all new once! The ids are up there due to the test products already installed. You can reset them if you have emptied the store of the demo products, but you'll need to do it right in the db itself after you add your first product. You'd edit it's product id references to 1, and all subsequent products auto sort themselves (I forget the exact term I need!) Once you edit that one product id, you needn't bother with product id again.

You shouldn't be dealing with attributes yet, just to get products in. First just get a chair in as a product. Then you can figure out attributes for colors after. That's a whole new can of worms to figure out!

Jeremy

I knew how to add products.. what I don't know is how to make the left content the same for every page. ie, I edited everything on index.php, but when I clicked on a link to see a product info, I noticed the left content changed, showing different categories/list. How do I solve this? Am I supposed to change the categories from admin, or can I do it manually on html editor?

Also, do I need to understand about database programming to use oscommerce? Is there any software to make it easier to add my products and upload to my server?

The left column is controlled by the includes/column_left.php . It should stay constant throughout the whole site, unless you specifically exclude something in a special column_left for a particular page (I did this for my site map tonight to get rid of the category tree on that one page).

You don't need to edit any php files to add products, these are entered into the database and called up by php files to generate the pages. You need to enter, and edit the categories, and products in admin (I mean the admin panel online, not the admin folder), as it interfaces with the database to get the data in the right places. An html editor will only affect your pages, not the db, and you don't want to do that.

Strictly speaking, no you don't need to understand db programming, I knew nothing when I started. That said, if you get a basic understanding, and can use a utility like phpmyadmin to look at an osc database with a couple of products in it, you can really help yourself out!

There are reasons to edit the php files, and when you do, use FTP and an editor, not the admin file manager, it has problems adding extra characters into files, screwing things up.

aaahh I see... you've put the light on me, thank you so much for your time and assistance Jeremy, you help a lot & make things much clearer... I'm happy now.. hope there's no more problems.

Cheers... :thumbsup:

Archived