• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

html validation by W3C

djashjones

w3c's html validator can't deal with html nested within php within tables, which are themselves nested within tables, within tables etc.

Many of the errors you will see also relate to the use of ansi code for such things as & etc. Once other errors are removed these ansi code 'errors' are no longer counted as errors and the page validates.

If you really want your code to validate then you will have to rewrite every page within osCommerce. I have done it on a few sites, but can't say that I found it an enlightening or uplifting experience - or of any real benefit.

Vger

Its not that big of a job if you really want to do it.....or you can use an excelent contrib which makes ur osc a valid xhtml site.... just search for xhtml in the contribs section....

Most error messages will dissapear after installing: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2027

I never have experienced any problems like "can't deal with html nested within php within tables, which are themselves nested within tables, within tables etc" (and I have created some W3 validating osC sites). Only noticed a small problem with js sometimes, resulting in one or two errors max.

The xhtml contribution probably is better, but I suppose it will more difficult to install on a heavyly modded store.

Having correct HTML can only help you with SEO, however because of the way that osCommerce is coded it really won't help all that much at all. It's not worth doing just for SEO due to the tables based HTML.

When osCommerce moves over to a xhtml based layout, then you will be able to SEO the HTML. Until then, not worth the effort in my opinion.

Archived