• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Abandoned carts - How do you deal with them ?

Simplyeasier

Hi

As traffic rises it is inevitable that store owners get more sales as well as abandoned carts

How do you deal with abandoned carts especially where the address and phone numbers appear legit ?

I manually follow up on some of these but wonder if there is a way I can automate osC and send an email to the address if say the paypal IPN (or other gateway payment notification) is not completed in a few days of setup ?

Any thoughts

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

"Internet Retailer" had a recent article where their research showed that the majority of cart abandonment was become people use the carts for comparison shopping. It generally just means that the customer is either a) still thinking it over or B) they found a better deal somewhere else.

The author made the point that many people start a cart so that they can determine what the shipping cost is.

Since it frequently means that the customer is still deciding what/if to purchase sending them a contact might be helpful.

The author also concluded that one of the major decided factors for the customer was whether they trusted the web merchant. I think that means that a low-key, un-obtrusive follow-up would be the best approach, rather than an aggressive follow-up that makes them feel harrassed.

I would like to think that my shopping experience on the web is anonymous (even though I know it isn't) until I actually submit my order.

Personally, if someone were to contact me to inquire about my abandoned cart, I would feel like my privacy had been violated. If contact information is available on a site, and I have trouble with the order process, I will contact the store myself. But I would be ROYALLY ticked off to receive an Email asking me why I didn't complete a sale, regardless of how nicely it was worded, if I chose not to purchase from the store in question.

Perhaps if your Privacy Policy indicated that you might do so, it would be another story. But if it isn't specifically addressed in your Privacy Policy, you may have problems down the road from a customer who opts to force the issue.

Just something to think about...

Terry

Terry Kluytmans

Contribs Installed: Purchase Without Account (PWA); Big Images, Product Availability, Description in Product Listing, Graphical Infobox, Header Tags Controller, Login Box, Option Type Feature, plus many layout changes & other mods of my own, like:

Add order total to checkout_shipment

Add order total to checkout_payment

Add radio buttons at checkout_shipping (for backorder options, etc.)

Duplicate Table Rate Shipping Module

Better Product Review Flow

* If at first you don't succeed, find out if there's a prize for the loser. *

We normally write a nice Email to the abandoned cart customers and wait a week to cancel the order if they don't respond.

We have one customer that says they want to buy the stuff in their cart, but they are waiting for the money. We did end up cancelling the order after about a month. The customer put the stuff back in the cart and plans on sending the money once their tax refund comes. I'll believe it when I see it.

I do think it is best to write a customer. I also believe they are just shopping for the best price after shipping.

I just wish they knew how happy I get to see another order, then how unhappy when I see it's all just a false alarm.

If I'm giving advice, it is based on what path I would take to fix your problem. My path may be wrong.

I don't send emails anymore because I have concerns for the anti-spam laws. Unless the person opted in for the newletter, you are not allowed to send them email. It is best to leave them alone and if they want to buy, they will return (as many do with abandoned carts).

I have concerns for the anti-spam laws

I'll have to look into spam laws. I see them as a customer, they've actually given me their personal information.

Maybe you're right about the spam. I don't write my Emails like they were spam, but they may look like spam from an internet users point of view.

I'll have to check into this.

Danny

If I'm giving advice, it is based on what path I would take to fix your problem. My path may be wrong.

I'll have to look into spam laws.  I see them as a customer, they've actually given me their personal information.

Maybe you're right about the spam.  I don't write my Emails like they were spam, but they may look like spam from an internet users point of view.

I'll have to check into this.

Danny

Even if legally you are covered, as it keeps getting easier to report spam, a lot of people are getting a little careless at clicking "this is spam". Partially because they don't understand the problems it can cause for the sender if they are a legitimate business. And partially because everyone is getting so fed up with all the actual spam they are getting.

Anymore a lot of web hosts will drop you the first time they get a spam complaint or your IP gets listed in a spam list.

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Rule #2: Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

Even if legally you are covered, as it keeps getting easier to report spam, a lot of people are getting a little careless at clicking "this is spam".? Partially because they don't understand the problems it can cause for the sender if they are a legitimate business.? And partially because everyone is getting so fed up with all the actual spam they are getting.

Anymore a lot of web hosts will drop you the first time they get a spam complaint or your IP gets listed in a spam list.

So I guess abandonded carts are just that - abandoned - unless you want to run the risk of business shut down. What a waste :o

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

So I guess abandonded carts are just that - abandoned - unless you want to run the risk of business shut down. What a waste  :o

Charles

Not entirely wasted. It is useful to study them regularly, especially if you are in a highly competitive market.

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Rule #2: Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

Archived