• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Need Big Advice !!! Please

julianpuje

I have been running and submitting my site for just over 12 months now and get spidered many times a month, now @ 20,000+ a month. (Google page rank still only 2 though)

From this i have seen my link popularity across the web shoot up to @ 5-6000, which was more than my competitors and growing steadily. However, over the last week, this has now dropped considerably to @ 1500!!!!!, has anybody got any advice on whether these are normal sort of figures or does it look like my site is doomed into Search engine oblivion!! :'(

Google hasn't been too happy about the site from the start, as i think i messed up when i first submitted my site. I submitted a mirror site before i managed to get around to changing it. This was 12 months ago though.

I am considering changing my domain name and starting again, raising these questions:-

1, Does this make sense to change domain name?

2, Am i wasting my time?

3, Will it be worth losing 12 months worth of spidering?

4, Am i being impatient? and should i just sit and wait?

5, If the change seems the only way to go, how do i go about submitting a new domain without it being seen as a mirror site.

6, Would i be best to keep the original site, and leave it to it. Then set up a redirect to the new domain? obviously tweaking it a lot so it isn't mirrored?

Any help on this, advice, comments appreciated.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Julian

A little knowledge is dangerous, I SHOULD KNOW.

If Life Begins At 40, What ends????

Well...

1. Google does penalize new sites, but usually no more than 3 months....

2. With creative use of 301 redirects you do not loose ur 12 months work....

on the other hand....

1. keep ur exsisting website...

2. create a new (mirror) web site, with different urls and metas and start new with this one.....

3. do some creative cross linking

As a side point...something is definetly not right if you have only amassed a page rank of 2 in 12 months......

a small hint..check ur inbound links...u might be penalized from cooperation with "bad" link partner

B)

Well...

1. Google does penalize new sites, but usually no more than 3 months....

2. With creative use of 301 redirects you do not loose ur 12 months work....

on the other hand....

1. keep ur exsisting website...

2. create a new (mirror) web site, with different urls and metas and start new with this one.....

3. do some creative cross linking

As a side point...something is definetly not right if you have only amassed a page rank of 2 in 12 months......

a small hint..check ur inbound links...u might be penalized from cooperation with "bad" link partner

B)

Thanks for the Reply Nick

With creative use of 301 redirects

Do you mean by redirecting individual pages to the relevent pages on the new domain? I'm not familiar with 301 redirects. I like the idea of the "on the other hand" comments though where i leave the other site ticking over.

Point 2,

create a new (mirror) web site, with different urls and metas and start new with this one.....

I'm using Chemos URL's, i take it I could just change the items and category names slightly to create a new URL? I've got @ 450 products, so a bit daunting but definitely possible in a few days to do the metas and titles etc.

Point 3,

do some creative cross linking

What or how do i do creative crosslinking? not too sure what you mean with this.

Thanks again

Julian

Hi,Hi,

to totally change it....use a different url contrib....

like...

1. SEF Link Transformer

2. Nimmit Sef

3. or one of the other ones available in the contribs section......

add dynamic key word infused links from every category page on the old site to the new sites categories...

B)

Thanks again for the reply :thumbsup: and the links. I'll probably use the latest SEF one.

When you say

add dynamic key word infused links from every category page on the old site to the new sites categories

How would i go about doing this? not 100% on what you mean. Would this just be purely for SEO, or would it be for the customer? do you have an example i could go on, so i get it right.

Cheers again :thumbsup:

In your footer.php add an adjustable link target and text link. set a function to change this link and text according to category.

It will be both for customers and for seo.....but mostely seo..because how many customers look at the footer links in reality.... ?

If you do not know how to set up dynamic links and text, add some static ones....

By the way...

How is ur site ranked in Msn and Yahoo for your choosen key words?

By the way...

How is ur site ranked in Msn and Yahoo for your choosen key words?

On MSN my keywords have moved up pretty high at the moment. eg, snooker tables on MSN is twice on page one!! which is excellent.

These are not for leisurezone though, they are my other linking sites which are now redirected to leisurezone, and have been for a long time.

www.jbshomeandleisure.co.uk and leisure-zone.co.uk.

I don't know how to check on Yahoo or MSN for a page rank. I just type in my keywords and see if they appear anywhere.

On Yahoo, they are nowhere to be seen.?? as far as i can tell.

I use eg,

snooker tables, snooker table, bouncy castles, trampolines, air hockey, table football, pool tables, pool table

and a lot of others relevent in someway to the above.

like snooker cues, snooker balls etc etc.

Any more comments on this please. I would like a few opinions please before i potentially waste a years work.

Cheers

Any advice help etc appreciated.

Thanks

Julian

Your Link Populrity depends on other sites. If those sites go away, so does your LP. It is not unheard of for google to "lose" a large number of sites. Some say they do this on purpose but, as all things google, there's no proof. I would not react to quickly to fix this as it may not be a problem.

If it is, and you want to start with a new domain, just create that site and treat it as a new site. For your current site, go to where you have it registered and have them point it to your new site. It will take some time for the SE's to adjust but there is nothing you can do about that I'm afraid.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks for the reply Jack :thumbsup:

I've decided I'm not got to be too hasty on this, but I am setting up another site as we speak, merely as a linking(network) partner of the main site, probably with a view to it being the MAIN site eventually.

For your current site, go to where you have it registered and have them point it to your new site.

When you mention this above, do you mean the search engines, linking partners, or both? If the search engines, do i just contact them to redirect that particular domain?

Thank

Julian

No, I was speaking about where you registered your domain. It is not uncommon for people to buy mutiple domain names for a site. One will be the actual domain name and the others will just be pointed to it. The company that you purchased it from can do that for you.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived