• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Product Info Page

Trimast

Hi,

I'm using OS to run a new online store, initially i didn't think it would be an issue as i was told there were only 1800 products. A few days later after everything is set up i find out that each of the 1800 products has at 15 variations, and 8 or so have additional attributes, which by my calculations works out an actual product count of over 45,000 products :(

I originally downloaded the easypopulate contribution which is fantastic, and also the attributes copier contribution which again is fantastic to help me upload the products quickly, however i desperatly want to try and reduce the size of the dbase and the only way i can think of doing this is by creating some sort of additional html table within the products information page, which lists all of the options and their prices, with a qty box next to them, by this i mean one file for the 1800 main products, not calling up the attributes for each product individually.

All the customer has to do is put in the required qty next to the product they want and press the order now button, to update the shopping cart. It will of course need the ability to add multiple products at once.

I've spent a good few hours working my way through all of the contributions but have not been able to find anything similar. Does anybody know if there is a contribution which could possibly do what i'm looking for, or similar?

Any comments, or suggesstions would be seriously appreciated, ideas on possible solutions if no contribution exists would also be welcome.

My only xomment is that even with 45,000, or even 450,000, this is a still a very small database, and should not be much of a strain at all.

There are a couple of things I would worry about before worrying aobut hte size of your database.

Have you tried indexing these tables? If not, this can make a significant improvement. I've seen queries that took 2-3 secons to complete reduced to the .00001 range with a proper indexing strategy. The easiest thing to do is index any column that's in your 'where' clause.

Have you looked at page cacheing? Chemo has an awesome page casheing contribution that might help here.

Have you looked at reducing the number or queries on the page. Some of the queries, such as the category counts and page requests, are horribly inifficient, and can really slow the page down, and put additional strain on the server.

l

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Interesting comments so thanks,

The way which i was going to structure the shop was set each of the 1800 products into their own category, which will of course be a subcat of a more relative cat. From the test data i've run it'll be a 3 level cat sturcture which i know will work easily woth the easy populate contribution.

Each product cat, will then have the 15 product variations, so in reallity there should not be a problem regarding the search time, i was just trying to keep the database to a minimum.

However if you don't think that a 45,000 product database will cause to much of a problem then i'll see how it goes. In terms of dbase indexing, i've left the oscommerce tables as the defult install and not really taken to much of an indepth look at those, however i'll take a look at the page casheing contribution and probably set about implementing that as well.

Thanks,

Rob

Just so you know, the stock OSC installation does not come with the products tables indexed on all the fields it should.

And don't forget to try to reduce the number of queries you have on the page. Stock OSC has quite a few redundant quries on each page.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Archived