• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

imagecopyresampled quality?

99.9999% of the time resampled are higher quality than resized...

Bobby

Not what I wanted to here!! :(

So the Automatic Thumbnail contribution and the On the Fly Auto thumbnailer CAN produce as good as or even better quality thumbs than the osC resized?

I installed both contributions and both produce similar quality thumbs, the same quality thumbs as paintshop or photoshop would produce "resized" but they are not as good as the rezised thumbs in osC, what could be the problem if BOTH contributions produce similar lower quality thumbs?

A subjective term like "easy" is relative...what may seem not so hard to me may be very difficult for someone else. On a technical scale of 1-10 I'd give it about a 2 or 3.

Bobby

A subjective term like "easy" is relative...what may seem not so hard to me may be very difficult for someone else.  On a technical scale of 1-10 I'd give it about a 2 or 3.

Bobby

OK I'm sure I would manage fine but looks like it will have to be my provider who does the upgrade.

If you're on a *NIX based server use either YUM or APT-GET...should take all of 3 minutes. Alternately, do a full binary compile...

Bobby

Bobby thanks again for your advice!!

Do you or anyone else have a working site with the auto thumbnailer installed so I could see the quality of the thumbnails?

I don't think there is a website that I've touched that DOES NOT have an image autothumbnailer installed...

Bobby

I don't think there is a website that I've touched that DOES NOT have an image autothumbnailer installed...

Bobby

Do you have a url so I can see the site?

Am I right in saying then imagecopyresampled in Automatic Thumbnail contribution and in On the Fly Auto thumbnailer contribution does not work with PHP 4.3.4?

Sorry Scott...I'm not in the habit of posting client URLs.

imagecopyresampled was introduced in v4.0.6 so it should indeed work with your version. However, GIF image read/write was restored in v4.3.8.

It is always advisable to upgrade to the latest version...stop messing around and upgrade.

Bobby

Sorry Scott...I'm not in the habit of posting client URLs.

imagecopyresampled was introduced in v4.0.6 so it should indeed work with your version.  However, GIF image read/write was restored in v4.3.8.

It is always advisable to upgrade to the latest version...stop messing around and upgrade.

Bobby

Like I said in an earlier post on this thread, my provider will have to do the upgrade, I asked them to do it YESTERDAY.

Could someone post the url of a web site with a working version of either Automatic Thumbnail contribution or On the Fly Auto thumbnailer contribution please?

• 2 weeks later...

I am using On the Fly Thumbnailer so you can have a look.

I use it limited because my system is also limited.

Go to as an example :

http://www.crystallight.com.tw/rainbow-obs...elet-A-154.html

at the top of the left column you will see a variation of Chemo's thumb category browser with my images at 50% auto reduction.

Treasurer MFC

Amanda thanks alot, your images are definatelly better quality (nice site by the way ;) )

I cant seem to get decent quality images from imagecopyresampled so I ended up buying an image resize program called PhotoZoom Pro. I used a resize method called B-Spline to create my own thumbs and then dumped them all back into the imagecache folder from the contribution.

When I done this the images were much much better but each page took about 3 secs to load, so I removed this code from the contribution and it is working a lot better now.

$image = call_user_func("imagecreatefrom".$types[$imagedata[2]], $image);

http://www.flat4online.co.uk

Amanda thanks alot, your images are definatelly better quality (nice site by the way ;) )

I cant seem to get decent quality images from imagecopyresampled so I ended up  buying an image resize program called PhotoZoom Pro. I used a resize method called B-Spline to create my own thumbs and then dumped them all back into the imagecache folder from the contribution.

When I done this the images were much much better but each page took about 3 secs to load, so I removed this code from the contribution and it is working a lot better now.

$image = call_user_func("imagecreatefrom".$types[$imagedata[2]], $image);

http://www.flat4online.co.uk

well, I have a very limited machine so for all products I have big images for the product pages and popups and small images (made with Photoshop) for the product listings etc. But there are situations where I need to do it dynamically and then this on the fly is brilliant, I just give it a % and there it is. But ofcourse it takes more processing power so I only use it when convenience outclasses performance. I used to make them all dynamic and depending on the users screen resolution change the percentage but that was too much.

Treasurer MFC

Archived