• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

fresh install from scratch

Hi, hello to everyone.

I am starting afresh here as a total newbie, so sorry if I first of all mention a point or two that is old history in here.

I have a basics of all problems I'm affraid - I can not find any instruction on a first install and set up. I have downloaded the Ap' and seen that it has an auto install but that is as much as I could find out what to do. I reliase that this is the simplest of faults and that it will be coverered somewhere. Could someone please guide me to the right page or thread so I can get started.

Thank you.

Hi, hello to everyone.

I am starting afresh here as a total newbie, so sorry if I first of all mention a point or two that is old history in here.

I have a basics of all problems I'm affraid - I can not find any instruction on a first install and set up. I have downloaded the Ap' and seen that it has an auto install but that is as much as I could find out what to do. I reliase that this is the simplest of faults and that it will be coverered somewhere. Could someone please guide me to the right page or thread so I can get started.

Thank you.

Hi Thomas,

Go to your website's controlpanel.

Look for MySQL

Create a database with database name, username and user password.

Exit your website's controlpanel.

Start an FTP program and upload the complete (unzipped!) catalog directory to your webserver's public_html directory:

.../public_html/catalog

Set the right permissions for these two files:

/catalog/admin/includes/configure.php: 777

/catalog/includes/configure.php: 777

Start your internet browser.

Go to www.mywebsite.com/catalog/install

Start the install program

Import Catalog Database: YES

Automatic Configuration: YES

Database server: localhost

Username: database username

Password: database user password

Database Name: database name

Persistent Connections: NO

Session Storage: Database

Continue ? Continue ? Continue?.

If all goes well, then you will see a screen which guides you to the Catalog, which is the shop, and to the Administrator pages.

For the rest, that you might want to do:

http://www.oscommerce.info/

Good luck!

Edze

edze -

thanks for the detailed and great response -- it's got me scared though! i'm also trying to do my first install, but inside the 'catalogs' folder there is only one item, the 'admin' folder. so the paths you listed -

and

make me think that either i'm missing subfolders inside my catalog directory, or my folders are somehow misplaced and are all inside the admin folder. if the latter is the case, is there a place i can look to find out the correct file structure?

ack!

;)

Download the osCommerce MS2.2 zip file from www.oscommerce.com, unzip it on your computer. You need the files inside the catalog folder.

Vger

edze -

thanks for the detailed and great response -- it's got me scared though! i'm also trying to do my first install, but inside the 'catalogs' folder there is only one item, the 'admin' folder. so the paths you listed -

and

make me think that either i'm missing subfolders inside my catalog directory, or my folders are somehow misplaced and are all inside the admin folder.  if the latter is the case, is there a place i can look to find out the correct file structure?

ack!

;)

Download the osCommerce MS2.2 zip file from www.oscommerce.com, unzip it on your computer.  You need the files inside the catalog folder.

Vger

wow ! well, that explains it. perhaps something went awry with my first download or extraction; i only had the 'catalog' folder. i did a fresh download and now the oscommerce folder contains 10 items.

thanks!

[quote name=jbennu' date=' wow ! well, that explains it. perhaps something went awry with my first download or extraction

[/quote]

I have no idea what it is yet but I am also having problems uploading the unzipped files to my webspace. Something inside the catalog folder is conflicting with the ftp programme and causing it too fail. I am now trying to upload each folder individually to see what file/folder is causing the problem.

Im sorry for the multipy postings. I have now got some progress on this now and got it underway. I am now stuck on this during the install.

---------------------------------------------

The following error has occurred:

The configuration files do not exist, or permission levels are not set.

Please perform the following actions:

cd /home/........./store/catalog/includes/

touch configure.php

chmod 706 configure.php

cd /home/........./store/catalog/admin/includes/

touch configure.php

chmod 706 configure.php

If chmod 706 does not work, please try chmod 777.

If you are running this installation procedure under a Microsoft Windows environment, try renaming the existing configuration file so a new file can be created.

---------------------------------

777 permission have been set as instructed with no luck. I can't understand what 'configuration file' it is suggusting that I try renaming. Any ideas??

No, don't rename it. I am guessing that you are trying to install it on a Windoze server, and that's why you see this error. Setting the file permissions via FTP does not work if your site is on a Windoze server - only if server is Unix/Linux. You need to go to your web hosting control panel, look for the File Manager and use that to set the permissions on those two files.

Vger

Windoze..I like it!

I did set permissions on the control panel. I am not sure what the 'touch configure.php' is I can see a couple configure.php's, but what is the touch??

Windoze..I like it!

I did set permissions on the control panel. I am not sure what the 'touch configure.php' is I can see a couple configure.php's, but what is the touch??

NEVER MIND ALL THAT!!!

I hit it with the mallet and its is up on the first screen now. wow.

thank you for all your help

Archived