• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Featured Product Support v1.5.4

jcisar

Hey,

Quick question with regards to how this is treated in STS. I have a template set up for the box and all is working fine, except that the background for the template is being overriden by the background for the featured box. I've gone through the files that came with this contrib, but cant seem to track down where the background is set. Any suggestions?

I've installed Featured Product v1.5.8 and get this error when I try to access the mod through the admin:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-500, 500' at line 1

select p.products_id, pd.products_name, s.featured_id, s.featured_date_added, s.featured_last_modified, s.expires_date, s.date_status_change, s.status from products p, featured s, products_description pd where p.products_id = pd.products_id and pd.language_id = '1' and p.products_id = s.products_id order by pd.products_name limit -500, 500

I get this error on the main page:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'MAX_DISPLAY_FEATURED_PRODUCTS' at line 1

select p.products_id, p.products_image, p.products_price, p.products_tax_class_id, s.specials_new_products_price, specials_new_products_price, p.products_date_added from products p left join products_description pd on p.products_id = pd.products_id and pd.language_id = '1' left join specials s on p.products_id = s.products_id left join featured f on p.products_id = f.products_id where p.products_status = '1' and f.status = '1' order by rand() DESC limit MAX_DISPLAY_FEATURED_PRODUCTS

I've went through the instructions three times, checked everything, and read everything on here, and I'm nor sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,

Joe

What do we do to get the description showing properly on the featured_products.php page??

Hi! I see you managed to add descriptions on the featured_products.php page... how did you do that? Thank you.

Edited by magicsenses

• 3 weeks later...

:thumbsup: I have updated the instructions for Featured Products & STSv4.5.3 and added all of the files (new and modified) together to allow for a quick merge into a new store.

This was created for the current osCommerce version "Online Merchant RC1" that was released on July 3, 2007.

I post the link as soon as it is uploaded into the Featured Products section.

Enjoy,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Hi all, hope some new eyes can assist me with this issue. I install Featured Products 1.59, it is showing up on main/index page and does turn off "New Products for Month", but when I enter my Category page the Featured Products box does not show but the New Products for Month is showing. I do have some products listed in Feature Products that are also in the Category I have selected, if that makes a differance. Can anyone help, I have been looking for hours with a fine tooth comb..

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jeff

Hi all, hope some new eyes can assist me with this issue. I install Featured Products 1.59, it is showing up on main/index page and does turn off "New Products for Month", but when I enter my Category page the Featured Products box does not show but the New Products for Month is showing. I do have some products listed in Feature Products that are also in the Category I have selected, if that makes a differance. Can anyone help, I have been looking for hours with a fine tooth comb..

Jeff

Jeff

In/catalog/index.php, did you change the two instances of FILENAME_NEW_PRODUCTS to FILENAME_FEATURED? Both must be changed.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

In/catalog/index.php, did you change the two instances of FILENAME_NEW_PRODUCTS to FILENAME_FEATURED? Both must be changed.

:thumbsup: Well thank you so much, I copied the entire file and keep deleating line by line and lo and behold, there it was, as you said, I missed the second name change. I made the change and all is perfect. Thanks so much for your suggestion, it was what I needed after going bug eyed looking for the error.

Thanks again for your input,

Jeff

:thumbsup: Well thank you so much, I copied the entire file and keep deleating line by line and lo and behold, there it was, as you said, I missed the second name change. I made the change and all is perfect. Thanks so much for your suggestion, it was what I needed after going bug eyed looking for the error.

Thanks again for your input,

Jeff

You are welcome! ;)

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

In the admin dropdown list, is it possible to either:

1) add a second dropdown to filter products by manufacturer; or

2) cause the manufacturer name to appear in front of the product name, and sort the whole dropdown by manufacturer name?

My store has over 3,000 products, and one of those two solutions would make it a LOT easier to select the products I want to feature.

• 3 weeks later...

hi,

ive installed this and it works technically perfectly although it has changed the look of my home page where the featured products are. I am not using STS although I am using a template from Template Monster. Ive attached a link of what my sites New Products area looked like before I installed this and you can visit my site to see what the homepage looks like now.

Is there a way to get my site back to looking the way it was before I installed this but with the Featured products contribution?

Heres my site now: www.topgoth.co.uk

and heres how it looked before:

9361-osc-b.jpg

As you can see, the banner advertisment has dissappeared as has all the formatting and images and the words Featured Products (although they were just the new ones), if you want to see what the formatting looked like click on a category at the side and the products there still have it.

Can you help?

thanks,

Ben

after my last post i did some thinking and realised theres probably a very simple way to overcome the problem i was having above^^

if i edited the original new_products.php file from catalog/includes/modules/ I could replace stuff like $new_products with $featured_products and still keep the formatting of the original home page.

Now, I know very little about php and whether or not this will work, im sure im on the right lines although I dont actually know what to change and what to keep and most importantly whether or not this will work at all.

It would be great if anyone could respond to this and maybe give me some guidance on how to edit the original new_products file to work with featured products whilst keeping with the original site design.

thanks guys, this is a really helpful contribution

after my last post i did some thinking and realised theres probably a very simple way to overcome the problem i was having above^^

if i edited the original new_products.php file from catalog/includes/modules/ I could replace stuff like $new_products with $featured_products and still keep the formatting of the original home page.

Now, I know very little about php and whether or not this will work, im sure im on the right lines although I dont actually know what to change and what to keep and most importantly whether or not this will work at all.

It would be great if anyone could respond to this and maybe give me some guidance on how to edit the original new_products file to work with featured products whilst keeping with the original site design.

thanks guys, this is a really helpful contribution

Ben,

I will not be able to really take a look at this until next week. Obviously your template has modified the layout beyond the stock osC and the contribution was created with a stock osC in mind. This should be easy enough to work out the wrinkles since the contribution is at least doing what it is supposed to do.

Your answer lies with the HTML and possibly your stylesheet of your index.php file I think. Poke around there and play with the HTML Tables.

If you are using IE, you can download a helpful tool called Developer Toolbar. This is helpful in locating what you see in your browser to the applicable code/ stylesheet.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

its ok, after alot of playing about i've actually got it to work.

The only problem is that the prices on the homepage dont show the discounts you give them in the specials section. Im not sure why, perhaps someone could take a look?

for some reason this hasnt affected my top level categories, can anyone explain why?

it seems almost as if I have missed a step, it works fine on index.php but hasn't affected the top level category products at all....

• 2 weeks later...

In Step 17 of the instructions for "Featured Products 1.5.9 To be used with The Simple Template System 4.5.3",

it is mentioned that "you need to create the database table that will be holding the featured products. To do so, you will need to run the featured_products_english.sql file's contents in your favorite sql interface (like phpmyadmin) to your existing database."

I have access to phpmyadmin from my web host; however, I'm not familiar with this. How do I do this? Thanks for the help!

In Step 17 of the instructions for "Featured Products 1.5.9 To be used with The Simple Template System 4.5.3",

it is mentioned that "you need to create the database table that will be holding the featured products. To do so, you will need to run the featured_products_english.sql file's contents in your favorite sql interface (like phpmyadmin) to your existing database."

I have access to phpmyadmin from my web host; however, I'm not familiar with this. How do I do this? Thanks for the help!

Derek, writing a "how to" for PHPMyAdmin is beyond the scope of this thread but I will try to give you some pointers since the procedure is simple enough...

1. Open PHPMyAdmin for your site
  2. In PHPMyAdmin, open the database you wish to modify (if you have more than one database, select the database from the left dropdown menu)
  3. Click on the SQL tab at the top of the page.
  4. You should see a box labeled "Run SQL query/queries on database"
  5. Paste in the contents of the featured_products_english.sql file inside this box.
  6. Click on the "GO" button located to the lower right of the box.

That should get you going. Hope this helped,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

• 2 weeks later...
its ok, after alot of playing about i've actually got it to work.

The only problem is that the prices on the homepage dont show the discounts you give them in the specials section. Im not sure why, perhaps someone could take a look?

Looking at the original featured products, there is an additional query which takes the result from the above query defines different values for a variable called $products_price, depending on the price value in your query.

In the while look make sure you have

if ($new_price = tep_get_products_special_price($featured_products['x_products_id'])) {
	$products_price = '<s>' . $currencies->display_price($featured_products['x_products_price'], tep_get_tax_rate($featured_products['x_products_tax_class_id'])) . '</s> <span class="productSpecialPrice">' . $currencies->display_price($new_price, tep_get_tax_rate($featured_products['x_products_tax_class_id'])) . '</span>';
  } else {
	$products_price = $currencies->display_price($featured_products['x_products_price'], tep_get_tax_rate($featured_products['x_products_tax_class_id']));
  }

And then echo $products_price somewhere in your page. :)

This should be a simple one. On the large Featured Products box on the main page (not the info box in the column) how do I remove the link to the Featured Products page?

I want the large box and the title "Featured Products", I just want to remove the ability to click on the Featured Products title and bring up the Featured Products page. Therefore, I'm seeking the area where that link is in order to remove it.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Anthony

Looking at the original featured products, there is an additional query which takes the result from the above query defines different values for a variable called $products_price, depending on the price value in your query.

In the while look make sure you have

CODE

if ($new_price = tep_get_products_special_price($featured_products['x_products_id'])) {

$products_price = '<s>' . $currencies->display_price($featured_products['x_products_price'], tep_get_tax_rate($featured_products['x_products_tax_class_id'])) . '</s> <span class="productSpecialPrice">' . $currencies->display_price($new_price, tep_get_tax_rate($featured_products['x_products_tax_class_id'])) . '</span>';

} else {

$products_price = $currencies->display_price($featured_products['x_products_price'], tep_get_tax_rate($featured_products['x_products_tax_class_id']));

}

And then echo $products_price somewhere in your page. smile.gif

Hi Bruin,

I looked in featured_products.php and found all the code you mentioned although instead of ['x_products_price'] I have ['products_price'] could this be a problem?

Also, in which file should i place 'echo $products_price' ?

thanks,

Ben

Hi all

I can't seem to find this contribution any more. Has it been removed?

cheers

BigD

Yeah, that is odd. I will contact the contribution moderator to see what's up. :blink: Edited by bkellum

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions