• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

List products differently in seperate categories

DavidF

In my store there is a need to list products in one category differently than in another category. What I mean is that some products need to be listed with a picture and a model number, and then in a completely different category I have other products that would not need a model number or picture but would need a description. I know exactly how to change the column headings for all categories, but is there a way to change the column headings for only a few of the categories but keep the rest the same?

I have searched the forums and haven't found anything. Has anyone seen any thing like this. Any ideas before I dive into the code would be helpful.

Thanks,

DavidF

• 5 months later...

This would require an extra field in the categories sql table (say int). Once you create/edit a category you could assign a page layout (again integer) to it.

On the catalog side the index.php could include the associated page layout (now includes the product_listing.php module) once it parses the new sql field. If that field say its 0 it will load the origianl listing. If its 1 it will load the new listing1 and so on.

Fairly easy to do. Ideally you could integrate a template to quickly have different layouts for the category.

At least it gives you an idea of a possible approach.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived