• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Modify Data to Suit Bookselling

Hi there - we're working on setting up a shop and I find that the current options and settings are not terribly friendly to the book trade. I've downloaded a few contributed modules - inluding the Easy Populate one - which I hope shall streamline our database maintenance, but I was hoping for some pointers on actually completely resetting certain categories or options. We're not programmers, but I am comfortable opening and modifying scripts especially with a little friendly guidance. Can anyone out there make suggestions that would help me get the following results?

Ideally, we would have data fields for Title (though the generic Product field works for this), Author, Publisher, Binding and ISBN, in addition to the Image and Description.

'Manufacturer' might be temporarily used for the publisher field, but I would like to know if anyone has a better idea for handling this - we don't really need a 'manufacturer' attribute at all, in fact.

Also, books do not require any 'size', 'colour' or other option-list options. I was able to remove the options but couldn't see any way of adding in data fields for static data (as above).

I'm going to comb the forum more hoping to find some more resources (this is a great community!).

thanks,

Hannah

there is an isbn/upc contribution you can install. everything is in oscommerce for setting up a book store, it is all dependent upon how you want to layout your product_info.php, custom programming on this will make it look nice.

• 9 months later...

Dear Hannah,

My Wife, Heather (an Author), and I completely relate to your situation. Since most of our clients are Authors, we would be quite interested in using osCommerce, specifically CRELoaded osCommerce 6.5, for the book industry as well. We too are familiar with OSC modules, know the CSS for the stylesheet.css very well, and can even handle the PHP coding. Perhaps we could learn together?

It took a little research, but we recently had the pleasure of visiting your website and thoroughly enjoyed the content we have seen thus far. If you, and your Husband, would be interested we would like to propose a barter of our website design/development services in trade for helping us learn more about using OSC for the book trade? If you would be interested, please feel free to either reply to this message or contact us at [email protected] as we look forward to hearing from you soon.

• 8 months later...

I too am looking for a booksellling solution - things like ISBN numbers, author, year of publication, hardback/softcover, and so on.

I am only just looking (that is in the last ten minutes), but one thing that I have found after many years in the I.T. business is that there is usually something there. I've already found one contribution (It's called something like `add new product fields`.

What I propose is that we can all work together - as an ex-techie I have a `development site` on my home PC so I can test a few things out.

For example one thing I want to do is put things on froogle - but the data is not currently available on my Oscommerce site. So I want to add that data (eg Publisher, author, year of pub., binding - cos then I can automate updates. Equally as I sell some used books I want to be able to upload to sites such as abebooks, bibiio and even `the River` - all this would be so much easier if it could be automated.

Maybe if I work on a few ideas I can come up with a `booksellers` option. However I have to make a living while all this is going on so it could take some time. Any ideas, suggestions or offers of help would be appreciated.

If anyone is still looking for a modification suitable for booksellers (or anyone else) I have found a contribution called `extra fields`. You need to follow the instructions, which requires a familiarity with php - but I can tell you it works. I've already addeds ISBN, author, year of publication, binding, etc. to my store.

If anyone is still looking for a modification suitable for booksellers (or anyone else) I have found a contribution called `extra fields`. You need to follow the instructions, which requires a familiarity with php - but I can tell you it works. I've already addeds ISBN, author, year of publication, binding, etc. to my store.

Dear Mr. Woodward,

We are delighted to hear from you and have likewise found the ?Extra Fields? contribution. Since most of the ideal functionality we seek is not necessarily exclusive to online booksellers, perhaps it may be easier to take a more generalized approach and simply apply some creative custom programming. To offer a little background, the two websites that we plan on renovating are http://www.balconyboxbooks.net and http://www.books-a-go-go.net.

Since these websites grew out of a traditional ?brick and mortar? book store, the current Owner had a very specific concept already in mind and hired us to primarily do the design and development. As a result, since some aspects of eCommerce are very different than traditional marketing, we have proposed a similar concept to Chapter 13 whereby the websites remain active under the current Owner but gives us the authority to restructure it to maximize both liquidity and profits.

While visiting the sites, you may notice that both deal in strictly new books, are based on the old model of in-house inventory, and do not benchmark their prices. Our first priority is to benchmark, cross-promote, and realphabetize the inventory, before adding any additional functionality, but we would greatly value any initial reactions and suggestions that you may have. Additionally, since you mention the desire to work together, and we would not be direct competitors, perhaps we could work out a strategic alliance to benefit both your used book sales as well as our new book inventory.

Let us know if you would like our feedback on your website as well and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Archived