• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Let the customer edit the order

FSUddin

Hi,

Just wanted to know if there was a way to let customers edit their orders after placing them. In other words, say they want to add a few items. I already have the order editor installed that allows me (the store owner) to edit customer data and their orders. Why not let customers do it? Any help would be great.

FSUddin

Depending on how they are paying wouldn't it just be easier to have them place another order?

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

More trouble than it's worth to do this - for example you'll need to define at what point you will need to prevent them editing an order - eg if you've got the order all ready to go and they change it, you're not going to be happy. At what point will the order ever considered "final" if the customer can change it arbitrarily?

Plus, you'll need to receive notifications when (and if) they change the order.

Plus, if they've already paid for it - are you going to refund the difference or require extra payment? How would you handle this?

Best to just allow them to Email a cancellation (if it's not too late!) and re-order. Add this to your shopping terms and conditions if you go this route.

You can also allow them to simply add comments, and then you do the order editing in admin. See the Customer Comments contrib in my sig.

-jared

Archived