• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OSCommerce won't show ? sign

I have a problem with my site.

When it displays the price, it shows like ?2.50, with a question mark where the pound sign should be.

I only have the UK currency and english language. It was working fine last week, and have made no changes apart from uploading an image as a logo.

I can enter a !, $ and @ as a currency in the admin panel and they show fine. I can also enter GBP, and that too shows fine on the site.

My site is www.inkies.net if anyone can have a look.

My ISP says it's not them.

Cheers,

Nick.

Update - I've just put a "?" sign on my main page, and it displayed a "?" instead.......

At least I know it's not a currency thing !

I have a problem with my site.

When it displays the price, it shows like ?2.50, with a question mark where the pound sign should be.

I only have the UK currency and english language. It was working fine last week, and have made no changes apart from uploading an image as a logo.

I can enter a !, $ and @ as a currency in the admin panel and they show fine. I can also enter GBP, and that too shows fine on the site.

My site is www.inkies.net if anyone can have a look.

My ISP says it's not them.

Cheers,

Nick.

If it was fine last week somethin has changed methinks -

has your configuration changed - you will need to ensure your title for currency is Sterling Pound, Code is GBP, symbol left is ?.

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

If it was fine last week somethin has changed methinks -

has your configuration changed  - you will need to ensure your title for currency is Sterling Pound, Code is GBP, symbol left is ?.

Charles

Thanks for that, but it didn't make any difference.

• 5 months later...

Hello folks

Long time reader, first time poster :blush:

I've had the same problem with the ? showing up as as ?

I also tried changing it to "£" which works for the site however in the order confirmation e-mails this shows up literally as £ (e.g. &pound9.99), (I imagine because it's a plain text e-mail). The store owner wants this changing so that just a ? shows in the e-mail.

I've noticed that when changing the currency symbol through the admin that it adds a strange symbol (?) before the ? in the database (shows up as £). This doesn't show in the store but again, shows up in the e-mails. Removing this ? directly from the database causes the ? to become a ? again in the store.

At the moment I'm leaving it as £ as I think it's the best of a bad bunch of solutions.

Does anyone know of a way to simply get a ? to show correctly?

Thanks for your time and I hope I can contribute back sometime

Neil

• 5 months later...

I also have this problem. ? signs and apostrophes are showing on my site as question marks:

example page

This site was working properly on one of my older servers but has recently been migrated to a new version. We seem to have fixed the ? sign problem but stripping out extraneous data from the database fields but this has not changed the apostrophe problem. (plus I'm still not sure why the extra work was necessary)

If anyone has had this problem and solved it could they post the solution.

Cheers

Andy

This is a MySQL default language characterset problem. I noticed it when I downloaded an online site to work on it offline on my local server. Editing the ? which appeared in osC admin, under Localisation --> Currencies --> Symbol Left, back to the ? sign worked for new orders and new products etc. but not for existing ones.

If you still have the ability to access your previous phpMyAdmin then check which default language set MySQ is using and adapt your current to the same. Either that or complain to your current hosting company and get them to sort it out for you.

Vger

This problem is usually caused by incorrect character set encoding by the web server.

If no character encoding is defined in your pages (I think OSC DOES encode its pages) then Apache will apply a default encoding. If this is not what you are expecting then the browser will misinterpret the encoding and render the text incorrectly.

As OSS does encode its pages then you need to make sure that it is set correctly. I can't remember where this is defined off the top of my head but I expect configure.php or application_top.php would be a good place to start.

I would have pointed you to a previous post here that may have helped, but I can't find it. Sorry.

Rich.

ps : ...or as has been pointed out, it could be MySQL causing the problem :-)

Archived