• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Linux Hosts reccomendations

jacovbaloul

Personally I prefer Red Hat Fedora Core 3.

But that is just my personal preference of linux distro, it does not have anything to do with oscommerce. I don't think oscommerce would run "better" or "worse" or "faster" on any certain distro, at least theoretically... I wouldn't be suprised if someone proved me wrong though.

[contradiction]Although if one distro is known for having, say faster mysql database queries and more efficient php module(the heart of oscommerce relies on php and a database) then it should be able to run oscommerce better because of it.[/contradiction]

Personally, after thinking about it, I decided to go with a reliable host instead of hosting it on my linux box.

That way I don't have to worry about the extra bandwidth, the people trying to hack my computer, always keeping up with the latest updates, etc etc. I can focus on oscommerce instead of if the server is running ok or not. The way I see it is I would be spending at least an hour a month working on upkeep on the server, so spending 10 or 20 bucks a month to host it elsewhere is a smart move money wise (assuming your time is worth more than that)

If you have the time, money, and extra bandwidth to run it on your own server, it is a lot more fun :thumbsup: Sorry this is probably way more than the answer you wanted... oh well I'm in a talkative mode right now :sweating:

first of all thanks a whole lot for the extra info ;-)

seccond can you give me an example of a company thats a one stop shot for hosting a osc solution?

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

You'll find heaps of info there, and the admins here will be happier.

"Buy the ticket, take the ride..." -HST

Archived