• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Back-up Question

thenaile

Hi,

I did a search on backing up my entire site, but didn't find any clear cut answers on the proper way to back up EVERYTHING, i'm going to be using a few contribution and i really want to make sure i do everything right when i back up so i could always go back. Any suggestions on where to look or how to do it?

thanks so much :rolleyes:

if you have shell do this:

cd ~

mysqldump YOURDATABASE -u YOURUSERNAME -p > SQL

tar -czf mywebsite.tgz *

then "mywebsite.tgz" has everything you need. you can automate it with cron and transfer to another machine even.

Hi,

I did a search on backing up my entire site, but didn't find any clear cut answers on the proper way to back up EVERYTHING, i'm going to be using a few contribution and i really want to make sure i do everything right when i back up so i could always go back. Any suggestions on where to look or how to do it?

thanks so much  :rolleyes:

Also if you are on a Unix Server and have acess to WebShell, you culd easily select the folders "admin" and "catalog" and his "compress".

This will generate two compressed .tgz files for you and you could download them or ...

Also if you are on a Unix Server and have acess to WebShell, you culd easily select the folders "admin" and "catalog" and his "compress".

This will generate two compressed .tgz files for you and you could download them or ...

I really appreciate the help, the only problem is i don't understand. what is Webshell or shell and what is a unix server, and how do i back up everything. please be gentle, i'm a newbie :huh:

Thanks!

Quick vocab lesson.

Server - basically a big computer that holds information that many other computers can access (incedentally these computers are referred to as "clients") Keep in mind, this name refers to a computer that operates a certain way, not a certain type of computer.

Linux - An operating system (serves the same function as Windows) that is particularly well suited to being a server. (Alot of people would argue it is well suited to much more, just most people don't know it etc...)

Shell - basically this is a program that allows you to tell the computer to do certain things via text commands. (In windows you might click my computer, go to a particular file, right click, click copy, go to where you want the copy to be, rightclick, click paste. In a shell environment it would be more like typing >copy bla\bla\file1.txt bla\bla2\file1.txt)

Also, there is a reason people get paid to train others on computers, it can be tedious. Although there are alot of helpful people on this site you should do your best to research it as best you can on your own before asking. I should mention however, I don't really think you have broken nettiquette (sp?) I am just trying to fill you in on some of the unwritten rules that took me awhile to pick up back in the day. :)

That being said, you should really learn some basics if you are going to have an ecommerce site and no staff to do tech support. If you cant handle some of the basics yourself, and have noone to rely on to help you in a pinch, it is only a matter of time before you are going to be up the creek without a paddle. I should also say, that while it may seem daunting at first, the learning curve accelerates as time goes on, it is just the initial hump that hurts.

IF you have a linux server (very similar to unix, and what most people use these days even though many may still say "unix") as opposed to a windows server then there are MANY resources available for you online.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/ - excellent resource, try to pick up the gist of linux and apache.

http://www.php.net/ - this is the program that "builds" your site. it is the language that oscommerce is written in.

I don't really have any Mysql resources, but you should try to get the basics of that too, (it is a database that holds all of the info on your site and is used very frequently with php and vice versa).

Archived