• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Quickie about ZONES

stiksandstones

Hi...I had a friend build me an OSC store, looks and works great so far, but I offer free shipping on all orders. But, I obviously do not want to offer free shipping to Hawaii, Canada and alaska. I only will ship to usa and canada-I am in california. Anyway, in my checkout there is an option to pick FREE SHIPPING, 2 DAY, NEXT DAY...how can I make it so people with the hawaii-alaska-canada can not pick the free shipping?

So you have some sort of Free Shipping module installed? In that case, create a Tax Zone containing only the zones for the 48 states that you want to ship to. That Tax Zone should then appear in the Shipping Zone dropdown for the shipping module. Select it, and only customers in those 48 zones will be able to use the shipping module. You could also create another Tax Zone containing Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, Manitoba, Federated States of Micronesia... and assign it to a shipping module that isn't free.

"Buy the ticket, take the ride..." -HST

Thanks a lot for the quick reply!

I do have a free shipping module, and it looks like there is 2???

In MODULES>>>SHIPPING>>> I have listed: FREE GROUND SHIPPING and then a few more lines down FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING, this UPS FREE one is ON, and the top one has an INSTALL button highlighted so its not on.

In LOCATIONS>>>ZONES i am seeing this

www.shoptangerine.com/zones.jpg

Are you saying I need to remove from that, everything BUT the 48 states?

I'm not familiar with those shipping modules (no free shipping for me), but they should allow you to select a Shipping Zone.

I mean that you should create a new Tax Zone in Locations/Taxes >>> Tax Zones. That will give you a new yellow folder into which you can insert your 48 "subzones".

I tried just removing the HAWAII from the zones http://www.shoptangerine.com/zones.jpg

But all that does is remove HI from being a choice when u sign up for an account. I just need to know how to make hawaii and alaska and canada people DEFAULT to not even showing the free shipping-or make the default for alaska and hawaii 2day air and canada something else??

We seem to have some disconnect here. :huh:

You want to be ADDING a new Tax Zone in Tax Zones, not removing zones from Zones. DO NOT remove any zones, you still need them.

Locations/Taxes >>> Tax Zones >>> Insert

Edited by bglkk

We seem to have some disconnect here. :huh:

You want to be ADDING a new Tax Zone in Tax Zones, not removing zones from Zones. DO NOT remove any zones, you still need them.

OK, I will try that-but I dont need to tweak taxes, I just need the FREESHIPPING option taken out for canada-hawaii and alaska orders. But I will try the tax zone thing now.

I understand what you are looking for. In the settings for each of your installed shipping modules, you should see a Shipping Zone dropdown list box...that list box is populated with the names of folders that you created under "Tax Zones". You'll find the same thing for payment modules (the Payment Zone dropdown).

In other words, those folders don't necessarily have anything to do with taxes--it is just the way that osCommerce works. :wacko:

OK, I will try that-but I dont need to tweak taxes, I just need the FREESHIPPING option taken out for canada-hawaii and alaska orders. But I will try the tax zone thing now.

Added hawaii as a tax zone, set its rate to 0% when I make a fake acct with hawaii addy, the FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING is still available.

I am lost

image of what I did

www.stiksandstones.com/zones2.jpg

You want "Tax Zones", not "Tax Rates". Once again...

You want to create a little yellow folder that contains a zone for each of the 48 contiguous states. If there is no folder, you're not in the right place.

You want to create a little yellow folder that contains a zone for each of the 48 contiguous states. If there is no folder, you're not in the right place.

I did create it in ZONES...but also made a hawaii 0% tax rate...so I will delete it. Regardless I appreciate your time in dealing with my dumb a$$

zones image

image2

OK....are you saying I need to make 48 little yellow folders with all the states minus alaska and hawaii.....my image now shows I made Cali and Hawaii....so delete the hawaii and add 47 more states?

OK....are you saying I need to make 48 little yellow folders with all the states minus alaska and hawaii.....my image now shows I made Cali and Hawaii....so delete the hawaii and add 47 more states?

http://www.stiksandstones.com/order.jpg I need to boot out that free shipping from the shipping options-if you dont know what I am trying to attempt

Part of the problem is that it looks like the "Free UPS Ground Shipping" module you are using does not have a standard Shipping Zone setting (look at the UPS and USPS modules to see what I mean). That sucks. You might want to find the support thread for the free shipping module, and see if anybody else has a solution.

Also, by my method you would not create a Tax Zone folder called Hawaii (presumably containing only a single zone for Hawaii), but a folder called something like "Mainland 48", containing a zone for each of the 48 states to which you want to offer free shipping. But that point is moot if your shipping module doesn't offer a standard Shipping Zone dropdown... :(

Part of the problem is that it looks like the "Free UPS Ground Shipping" module you are using does not have a standard Shipping Zone setting (look at the UPS and USPS modules to see what I mean). That sucks. You might want to find the support thread for the free shipping module, and see if anybody else has a solution.

Also, by my method you would not create a Tax Zone folder called Hawaii (presumably containing only a single zone for Hawaii), but a folder called something like "Mainland 48", containing a zone for each of the 48 states to which you want to offer free shipping. But that point is moot if your shipping module doesn't offer a standard Shipping Zone dropdown... :(

Hmm, tried a few things, but it seems it will only read from the country, and since Hawaii and alaska are USA, I might be SOL.

Thanks for your efforts

Since you have another Free Ground Shipping module present (but not "Installed"), perhaps that one would better meet your requirements? You might also find other free shipping modules in the Contributions section. Cheers.

• 5 weeks later...
Hi...I had a friend build me an OSC store, looks and works great so far, but I  offer free shipping on all orders. But, I obviously do not want to offer free shipping to Hawaii, Canada and alaska. I only will ship to usa and canada-I am in california. Anyway, in my checkout there is an option to pick FREE SHIPPING, 2 DAY, NEXT DAY...how can I make it so people with the hawaii-alaska-canada can not pick the free shipping?

Try using the "additional shipping options for zone module plus percentage" contrib. Set up zone 1 as the 48 contigious states, AK, & HI as zone 2 and Canada as zone 3. BTW, you actually reminded me by this post, I need to add AK & HI into a seperate zone myself. I currently have 12 zones worldwide for surface and 12 zones for express. It works great.