• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Installation problem (PHP5?)

Unikate

Hi all,

my installation problem continues to exist and as suggested by OceanRanch on Saturday, I am starting a new thread hoping for your help:

This is what I did so far:

1) I downloaded and unzipped the files, uploaded them, set the access rights, created a mysql database

2) started the web-based configuration procedure, got to the welcome screen, then clicked on ("please choose the installation method to continue - install a new online store"), got to the next window ("New installation - please customize with ... import database and automatic configuration") Both boxes are already checked, but when I click on "continue", nothing happens except for the fact that the browser now shows "http://www.xxx.de/oscommerce/catalog/install/install.php?step=2

3) Searching the forums seemed to tell me that this is due to php5, so I searched and found the following solution:

"The only thing you need to do to get osCommerce and php5 to work together is to go to admin/includes/classes/upload.php and on line 31 where you see $this change it to //$this."

4) Did that - nothing changed; I am still stuck on the 2nd screen with both boxes already checked.

Can you help, please?!

Kate

Oh, I forgot something:

the first error message I got (before I even got to the welcome screen) was about the register globals. I installed the contribution for that, but later found out that I can set them to "on" on my server. So I now have the contrib installed AND set the register_globals to "on". Could that have something to do with the problem?

Kate

Hi Vger,

I uploaded the original files (just those that I had changed with your contrib), but nothing is changing -still stuck on page 2!

Would it help to re-install the whole shop?

Thanks

Kate

Hi again,

I just uploaded the entire OSCommerce file, set all the rights, changed the // in the upload file - nothing changed - problem still there!

Does anyone have a solution?

Kate

Check that all your folder permissions are set to 755, and that your two configure.php files (for the installation) are set to 777, because the install has to write to them. If you still have a problem you can set the folder permissions on all folders to 777 (for the install).

Vger

Hi Vger,

I have now set EVERYTHING to 777 - still nothing happens!!!

The only thing I can think of now is my ftp program: I uploaded everything with ws_ftp.le, that is the old version (free) of what is now called ws_ftp.home.

Could that have something to do with it - that it doesn't upload the files correctly?

Thanks!

Kate

Hi Vger,

your question caused me to call hosteurope (the guy said that it is Apache and that he is not aware that any Windows servers exist?!) But more important - I told him that I am having problems installing oscommerce and he told me right away that it doesn't work with php5, which I already knew :D .

BUT: he also told me that there is a way to "downgrade" hosteurope to php4, which I had thought impossible. So I did that, took out the double slash from the upload.php and guess what: it works!!

Have no idea why the // fix didn't do it for me and am just happy that I am on the next page now and can continue with the installation!

Thanks for now

Kate

Sorry, there was an alternative that may have worked with php5 - it's just that the double slash usually works fine. The alternative would have been:

// self destruct

unset($this);

However, you will find a lot less problems with osCommerce working with php4, provided that it's as up to date as it can be, which is 4.3.10

Vger

Archived