• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

column_left.php

Hello

If i make a change in includes\column_left do I need to make the change anywhere else for it to show up in all parts of OSC?

Also if I removed column_right from the index.htm page would it be excluded everywhere?

Hello,

If you make changes in the column left, it will show up everywhere, However if you remove column right, you need to do it on every singl page (Need to take out the entire <td> <!-- Column right stuff goes here --> </td>)

One every single page..

Quite tedious but end product usually shows up very nice!

Hello

If i make a change in includes\column_left do I need to make the change anywhere else for it to show up in all parts of OSC?

Also if I removed column_right from the index.htm page would it be excluded everywhere?

Hello

1. No, that's all you need.

2. No, you have to do the same thing in 38 out of 44 PHP files in the osCommerce's root directory.

Actually I think it depends on what kind of change you are making to the column left.

If you are just adding a box from colum right then yes, that is all you have to do for it to show up on all of the pages. Or if you are removing a box, same thing.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

thanks!

is there a tempate making system that you can tell me about? I've been looking but...

I wanted to replace some links on left with buttons.

thanks!

is there a tempate making system that you can tell me about?  I've been looking but...

I wanted to replace some links on left with buttons.

There are STS and BTS, you can find them in the contribution area.

Be warned that you'll have many compatibility problems with other contributions. And even worse, you will greatly degrade your database performance.

Avoid using the template systems if you can.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar question. I wanted to remove right column. I did remove all the boxes from the right columns, and put them in the left column.

Now I read in this post that 38 more files need to be modified when removing right columns. I did not do that, and my site seems to work fine Here.

Is there something I did not understand? :'(

Also, what is the way to make the center box bigger, I mean using the emptied space of the right column?

Thanx.

Haru.

Harumi, doing it that way, you just emptied the right column, but it is still there on every page of your site. I'd suggest that when you go to edit all those pages to get rid of the right colum, you just comment out the code , as opposed to deleting it. You might change your mind down the road, and uncommenting is much easier than re inserting the code, and the effect is the same. I speak from experience here!

Jeremy

Nacer, thanx for your advice, but I did not find the quote your mentionned in your post 8.

The only thing about "right navigation" in my Catalog/index.php file is:

<!-- body_text_eof //-->

<td width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>" valign="top"><table border="0" width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">

<!-- right_navigation //-->

<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'column_right.php'); ?>

<!-- right_navigation_eof //-->

</table></td>

</tr>

</table>

<!-- body_eof //-->

Jeremy, thanx for the advice to keep the code, and just make it comments.

But there is noway I am going to change 38 files. That's too risky, and if I change my mind I would have to do it again.

There is no other way?

Haru.

I just though about some: if I transfer all my left column box on the right columns, then I could get rif of the left column without going through 38 files right?

Would the center big box resize itself automatically to take the empty room on the left?

Haru.

OK, I transfered all my boxes on the right. Now can I get rid of the lef columns easily?

Haru :lol:

Hi haru u still have to edit all the php files in the main folder.......about 38 files....

But you can "cheat".....

1. in includes/application_top.php

Set the box width to 0

// customization for the design layout
 define('BOX_WIDTH', 0); // how wide the boxes should be in pixels (default: 125)

2. make a transperant gif in the widt you want your boxes to be , for instance 125 px

Add this gif to your right or left collum, whichever one you want to show up.

:lol:

Great idea. I set the colum size to 0 and reloded the modified application_top.php file. Then I prepared a gif 1x125 but I was not sure where to put it in the column_left.php. But in the meantime I reloaded my page, and it works ???

Do I really need the transparent gif file? And where exactly to put it, with what code in the column_left.php file?

Thanx a lot for the idea! :thumbsup:

Haru.

Great idea. I set the colum size to 0 and reloded the modified application_top.php file. Then I prepared a gif 1x125 but I was not sure where to put it in the column_left.php. But in the meantime I reloaded my page, and it works ???

Do I really need the transparent gif file? And where exactly to put it, with what code in the column_left.php file?

Thanx a lot for the idea! :thumbsup:

Haru.

If you add it it will make it look better, now it gets kind of compressed....

use this code, change transperant.gif for your gifs name, put the code after your last box but before the ?>

echo ?tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'transparent.gif');

Very good. I did, but something is strange. I made a transparent.gif of 1x125 another of 1x100 and even another of 1x50 pix. The last one is actually in my column_left.php now, but the size of the column does not change ???

Is there something inside the boxes that keeps the column from resizing?

Haru.

Very good. I did, but something is strange. I made a transparent.gif of 1x125 another of 1x100 and even another of 1x50 pix. The last one is actually in my column_left.php now, but the size of the column does not change ???

Is there something inside the boxes that keeps the column from resizing?

Haru.

Yes there are, so they will not get small than a certain width.....

But on the other hand..if you add a 1x200 or for a very nice side bar 1x145 .... :rolleyes:

I tried 1x145 and even 1x200, no change... it is 1x200 now..

Haru

Sorry, make the gif 200x1 and 145x1 and see......

If I do that, a 200x1 gif, my left collumn just go down by that much...

Haru.

I just visited your site and the collum seems to be fine now....

To clearify..

the gif should be 145px in width and 1px in height

B)

Nacer, thanx for your advice, but I did not find the quote your mentionned in your post 8.

The only thing about "right navigation" in my Catalog/index.php file is:

Jeremy, thanx for the advice to keep the code, and just make it comments.

But there is noway I am going to change 38 files. That's too risky, and if I change my mind I would have to do it again.

There is no other way?

Haru.

Yes theres is another easy way, but you need a good pc with a lot of ram :P open all 38 pages with dreamwever in one go, and just do a find and replace, then click file save all and upload again, its that easy,

i hope this helped you and others..

Archived