• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What happens when you install a new them??

wolvrinez

Ive installed free themes before but im about to buy a theme for $150. Do these expensive themes work the same way as the free ones? Will they make any changes to the content of my website? Should i wait to install the theme before i make any major changes? Any tips or suggestions would be great, thanks.

I haven't come across a themes n templates which would affect the backend funtionality of your website usually. However, say you install a theme and then you add a new box to left or right column, the theme might not be applied automatically upon it. Depends upon what sort of theme you are buying.

However if you have a template system such as STS or BTS installed, modifying/changing the site becomes a bit hard.

Are you buying an oscommerce theme? If not, I'm wondering if a non-osc theme would be integratable fully into an osc cart. You won't need such an expensive theme usually. Play with the css, go throught the conributions section and read the forums to find what and how others have done to modify the front end of their carts.

Irfan,

I haven't  come across a themes n templates which would affect the backend funtionality of your website usually. However, say you install a theme and then you add a new box to left or right column, the theme might not be applied automatically upon it. Depends upon what sort of theme you are buying.

However if you have a template system such as STS or BTS installed, modifying/changing the site becomes a bit hard.

Are you buying an oscommerce theme? If not,  I'm wondering if  a non-osc theme would be integratable fully into an osc cart.  You won't need such an expensive theme usually. Play with the css, go throught the conributions section and read the forums to find what and how others have done to modify the front end of their carts.

Yes I am buying an oscommerce theme. Ive seen screenshots of the ones i could be buying. They can be seen at http://www.websitetemplatedesign.com/ Am I wrong when I assume that modifying my theme to look as professional as the ones on that website would take me forever? Seems like it would take me forever since I am a newbie at php. Any reccommendations on whether I should pay or do it myself? Im leaning on the side of paying for it since, Id like to have a professional looking site for my future designer handbag website.

All osCommerce templates on the net are free! Further more, you'll be paid thousands of dollars for using them.

If you are not familliar with programming and graphic designing. You are much better off buying a template and paying for professional logo design. Why?

- It will take much extra time, in many cases, many months of part-time work to producing a decent result.

- If you plan to make $200 sales a day (a very low goal), it will cost you $6000 worth of sales a month when your site is not online. Why spend extra time in development while losing money that you could be making?

And the major downside is that you get very little extra designing/development experience.

All osCommerce templates on the net are free!  Further more, you'll be paid thousands of dollars for using them.

If you are not familliar with programming and graphic designing.  You are much better off buying a template and paying for professional logo design.  Why?

- It will take much extra time, in many cases, many months of part-time work to producing a decent result.

- If you plan to make $200 sales a day (a very low goal), it will cost you $6000 worth of sales a month when your site is not online.  Why spend extra time in development while losing money that you could be making?

And the major downside is that you get very little extra designing/development experience.

Thanks for the response Guys. Yea I think Alpha has some very good points. Spending time on the deveolpment process will take too muich time from me and take time away from other more important things I could be doing for my business.

Alpha, I have a few questions for you though. In your response you said that all oscommerce themes are free? Then you said that I am better off buying a professional theme. Not sure what you meant by that. Did you suggest that I get a free theme or pay over a hundred dollars for a professional one? Ive searched and found several free themes but they are very slightly modified, I didn't really like them much.

Of course it will cost you some money now, but in the long run it's really free. Why? Because it'll save you a lot of time and therefore allow you to make that extra money.

The most successful ecommerce companies understand the importance of effective resource allocation. They didn't become successful because they "pinch" every single pennies that they have.

P.S. If you find a free template that suits your business perfectly and don't mind that fact that there are hundreds of other sites looking like your. Then you can use that as well.

In the end it would be you who have decide if paying extra hundreds of dollars is worth a few extra sales a day.

P.S. Whatever you decide in the end, I recommend you getting your hands dirty in modifying other osCommerce areas other than the template part. The more you know, the better chance you have in succeeding.

P.S. Whatever you decide in the end, I recommend you getting your hands dirty in modifying other osCommerce areas other than the template part.  The more you know, the better chance you have in succeeding.

Thanks a lot Alpha, your words are golden. Your advice has helped me make the final decision of paying the extra money to get the template. Your right in asking if it is worth paying the extra few hundred dollars to get a few extra sales a day. It all pays off in the end. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to help me out. Much appreciated. Best of luck to you in whatever you do. :D

Archived