• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Promotion of site

RojanUK

Hello,

My store went live this morning and now comes the daunting task of making it known to the world (well, the UK in any case - I'm not delivering worldwide yet) that the site exists. That is something I have had no experience with whatsoever. I've listed the site on search engines and I found a site where you could put free ads on and obviously listed it there. But I'm drawing a blank after that.

Can anybody give some ideas on what I could do to promote my site?

BTW I have to note that I have no promotion budget at all.

Thanks,

My store - World Wide Wonders UK

RojanUK

Well, this doesn't help...

Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in /home/worldwid/public_html/includes/functions/database.php on line 19
Unable to connect to database server!

The SQL server of my host has gone down... again. It's the second time today. But what would be a good way to promote providing everyting was working properly? ;)

RojanUK

I see you have ebay auctions, be sure to mention your site to every auction winner and person who asks you a question from ebay.

I have actually a 'thank you for your purchase' slip, which has the URL of my site on it and I include that in the enveloppe. My wife does the same with her auctions. So, that's under way, but there must be more things that I could do to promote the site, other than ebay slips and listing with search engines. I'm open for any more ideas.

RojanUK

I have actually a 'thank you for your purchase' slip, which has the URL of my site on it and I include that in the enveloppe. My wife does the same with her auctions. So, that's under way, but there must be more things that I could do to promote the site, other than ebay slips and listing with search engines. I'm open for any more ideas.

1) write content for the site and create pages that you change often - search engines love that stuff

2) Write and publish to e-zine publishers - incl in your byline a link back to your site - when published you will get visitors as well as robot interest ( I still get interest from articles I wrote over a year ago !)

3) Submit your site to directories and search engines directly - visit their web sites (DMOZ, yahoo, google, msn etc and find out their precise requirements for listing - follow them precisely else you may fall foul of them)

4) My favourite - start a structured and persistent linking startegy with similarly themed web sites

5) Post questions AND answers to forums such as this one and others for internet marketing - I can give you URL's of topic if interested - bots, pick up your URL if allowed on the comments and link back to you.

6) Join the google answers programme - answer questions for Google and google will pick up your URL and list it - This is a tedious, but workable (I work it) method

These are a few ideas, there are many more - you can run with manually - many of these can be made more efficient with commercial software available for a price - but noting your marketing budget - start manually and automate as time goes on.

one final point - it takes time for traffic and good SE ranking - so get into the "long haul" mentality - any1 who tells you it will happen overnight is selling you a pup

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

Thanks for the ideas, Charles.

These are a few ideas, there are many more  - you can run with manually - many of these can be made more efficient with commercial software available for a price - but noting your marketing budget - start manually and automate as time goes on.

At the moment you are absolutely right. No budget at all, but hopefully one day I will be able to reinvest some profits back into the site, so jumping the gun a tad I would like to ask you whether you know of which commercial software. I've never heard of something like that.

one final point - it takes time for traffic and good SE ranking - so get into the "long haul" mentality - any1 who tells you it will happen overnight is selling you a pup

Charles

Yes, you are right about this too. Currently I have virtually no visitors to my site at all, apart from some friends & family and of course it will take time, but that's why I was asking about promotion ideas. If no promotion takes place nothing will happen, overnight or long-haul.

RojanUK

One of the best ways is to write a great article about one of your products. There are plenty of free places to submit to. This will give you great inbound links, which will result in higher ranking and increase in traffic.

For promotion, if you can do a newsletter and promote it on-line, it helps repeat visits. Also, do some opt-ins on promotional emails. If people opt in, or don't opt out, then send them promo email. It's not spam if they want it.

On the adult site in the previous post: I don't think Google treats Adult sites well. In other words, I think they rate them low. If I am wrong about that, let me know.

Thanks,

David Watson

• 4 months later...

HI

Im not sure what you sell but I have been adding my site to shopping directories. I just typed "shopping directories" in to google and submitted it to all of them .If you are a wholesaler even better because some well established sites do a free trial. Keep submitting daily to google, yahoo etc. I am a fine one to talk because my site is still poor, but it is improving with time and alot of effort. Also when you do get your order ask your customer how they found your site- i have found that quite interesting

Any one elseknow anything I would be interested too.

kel

Archived