• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Main Text

epitaph

This is probably the most frequently asked question on these forums. The thing is though - if you actually read the text you want to delete it tells you how to do it - exactly.

Vger

When I try to make any change to the index.php text through the admin File Manager module, just removing one letter from the dummy text then save, I get a parse error on line 13. Please help. I am new to php.

Thanks!

I have heard there are problems when using the file manager. You would be best off using an ftp program... from what I have read on the forums.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Ok. I haven't made any changes to configure.php yet. Do I need to before I can change the index.php text? And should I open these files with Notepad and make the changes locally, then FTP up?

Thanks!

If your site is running except for the "parse" error in index.php, then there is no need to change anything in the configure.php files. Just locally change the index.php file (save a back up) and then ftp to your site.

You might want to use something a bit better than notepad, although it should work (just stay away from copy/paste as some charcaters may creep in via notepad - tabs etc.).

I'm a bit partial to GVIM open source editor - color coded etc. Google for it. Phpedit is also another good free editor.

Don't use the osCommerce File Manager editor, it has a bug that will cause escaped (i.e. \ What\'s New) charcaters from loosing the \ and subsequently causing the parse error.

HTH

Tom

If your site is running except for the "parse" error in index.php, then there is no need to change anything in the configure.php files. Just locally change the index.php file (save a back up) and then ftp to your site.

You might want to use something a bit better than notepad, although it should work (just stay away from copy/paste as some charcaters may creep in via notepad - tabs etc.).

I'm a bit partial to GVIM open source editor - color coded etc. Google for it. Phpedit is also another good free editor.

Don't use the osCommerce File Manager editor, it has a bug that will cause escaped (i.e. \  What\'s New) charcaters from loosing the \ and subsequently causing the parse error.

HTH

Tom

Tom - thanks so much. I opened up the index.php file using notepad after making a backup and changed the text. Here's the error I get: Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /www/c/creeksideobg/htdocs/catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php on line 13.

Thoughts? Best bet is to download a free editor?

Thanks!

I have heard there are problems when using the file manager. You would be best off using an ftp program... from what I have read on the forums.

THANKS! :) I was having the exact same problem. I would delete just one character and it would give me a parse error. I was using the file manager. when I used notepad and FTP'd it to the site, it worked like a charm!! Weird! Thanks so much, 'cause I couldn't understand why it would give me a parse error when I wasn't doing anything wrong. :)

Archived